Author Topic: Suicide Squad - what?  (Read 3751 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Suicide Squad - what?
« on: March 10, 2017, 10:49:09 PM »
It was not my idea to watch Suicide Squad. I mean, it's not that I don't want to watch a movie with Margot Robbie. It's just that I'm a little burnt out on comic book movies right now, though I've only seen a handful of them. The wife brought home a bunch of DVDs from the library, and that was one.

OK, about halfway through the movie (after we got through the boring stuff about how they assembled their team of lovable outcasts) it started to bother me that the witchcraft stuff, which I had not expected at all, was beginning to take over the movie. A few minutes later, and boom - this is now a Disney movie about an evil witch taking over the world. WHAT?! Why? Somebody break her stupid wand, and let's get on with the movie. :facepalm: Then the guy with fire-fingers suddenly turns into some kind of horned god of fire. What? No. Stop.

Also, it was more than a little ham-handed with the "but we're all bad" soul-searching and pop philosophy.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Suicide Squad - what?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 10:57:42 PM »
That's the Enchantress.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 11:07:01 PM »
I thought it a bit odd that the most evil one in the movie seemed to be the CIA lady that set up the team.  I just thought it a bit disjointed.  The Joker part was I thought a bit over done.  I liked it the first time I saw it, but less when I saw it again. 

I also didn't really understand the prison they were in.  Seemed more of a torture chamber. 

Watch Cinema Sins' take on it on youtube now that you have seen it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 11:47:44 PM »

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 12:17:03 AM »
I thought it a bit odd that the most evil one in the movie seemed to be the CIA lady that set up the team.

I found that to be the most plausible aspect of the whole mess.

More entertaining than the movie itself:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH5YLq412Wc
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 01:10:33 AM »

As usual, Cinema Sins was way too hard on the movie they were reviewing. I mean, it asks at one point why the Joker would do something crazy, that leads to unnecessary violence.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:54:41 AM by fistful »

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 04:30:56 AM »
Counter to CinemaSins, CinemaWins; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2TRItGklnQ
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 09:50:25 AM »
Another thing wrong with this movie, is the cryptic allusion to Superman being, uh, dead? I guess? I don't think they even said. And if Superman could be dead, maybe they should explain that, instead of just hinting at it.

This is the main reason why I don't bother with comic book films much anymore. There is a new movie every other week, and you have to watch them all (or have been reading comic books religiously for years) for things to make sense. Why do you want me to work so hard at escapism? Just make an enjoyable movie that doesn't require me to watch a lot of other movies as homework.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 10:01:46 AM »
Another thing wrong with this movie, is the cryptic allusion to Superman being, uh, dead? I guess? I don't think they even said. And if Superman could be dead, maybe they should explain that, instead of just hinting at it.

This is the main reason why I don't bother with comic book films much anymore. There is a new movie every other week, and you have to watch them all (or have been reading comic books religiously for years) for things to make sense. Why do you want me to work so hard at escapism? Just make an enjoyable movie that doesn't require me to watch a lot of other movies as homework.

Superman was "killed" at the end of Batman v. Superman, and buried.

They're called a "shared Universe" for a reason.  There's lots of stand alone movies out there.  Don't watch movies that are explicitly part of a series, based on serials in the first place, and then complain you are expected to know s little backstory.  Go watch Eyes Wide Shut or something.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 10:04:03 AM »
I just don't think that's a good attitude for the studios to have. They could have at least said "Superman 'died,'" like you just did, but they didn't even say that. Ya know what? It actually makes more sense to assume I did NOT see it, since they put Ben Affleck in it. That's on them.

How about don't make your comic book movies so serious, and so often, that it turns into a very expensive TV series. It shouldn't make me earn it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 12:30:24 PM by fistful »

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 02:04:17 PM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 01:25:06 AM »
You can watch them on their own. You aren't required to be familiar with the other movies in order to watch this one. Why would they have to explain the Superman situation? His story isn't integral to this movie.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 10:03:34 AM »
You can watch them on their own. You aren't required to be familiar with the other movies in order to watch this one. Why would they have to explain the Superman situation? His story isn't integral to this movie.

Not integral, no. That is not the main problem with the movie.

They're called a "shared Universe" for a reason.  There's lots of stand alone movies out there.  Don't watch movies that are explicitly part of a series, based on serials in the first place, and then complain you are expected to know s little backstory.

But they're not explicitly part of a series. Comics muggles like myself weren't expecting X-Men characters to show up in the Deadpool or Ant-Man movies. They weren't marketed that way, as far as I recall. Yet there they were.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 10:10:39 AM »

But they're not explicitly part of a series. Comics muggles like myself weren't expecting X-Men characters to show up in the Deadpool or Ant-Man movies. They weren't marketed that way, as far as I recall. Yet there they were.

They're comics. They are explicitly part of a series.  That's how comics work.  You just bit off more than you can chew.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 10:25:18 AM »
They're not comics. They're movies. Just like with adapting a novel to the screen. Not everything translates, and you have to make changes. That's why they're called adaptations.

And again, you're assuming a mass audience knows that Deadpool was a comic book character, and that he interacts with a specific set of characters. It's the assuming too much that is the problem.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 10:43:55 AM »
They're not comics. They're movies. Just like with adapting a novel to the screen. Not everything translates, and you have to make changes. That's why they're called adaptations.

And again, you're assuming a mass audience knows that Deadpool was a comic book character, and that he interacts with a specific set of characters. It's the assuming too much that is the problem.

Perhaps going to see movies you don't understand then expecting them to conform to your preconceptions is the problem.

Again, Deadpool is explicitly part of the "Marvel Cinematic Universe".  It's not unreasonable to expect him to interact with that universe.

Suicide Squad is explicitly part the "DC Extended Universe".  They interact with that universe.

Comic book movies have spent more than a decade and a half setting up that they operate in shared universes, and reference each other to greater or lesser extents. If you went to one not knowing that the problem is with you, not the movies.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 11:42:44 AM »
Perhaps going to see movies you don't understand then expecting them to conform to your preconceptions is the problem.

Again, Deadpool is explicitly part of the "Marvel Cinematic Universe".  It's not unreasonable to expect him to interact with that universe.

Suicide Squad is explicitly part the "DC Extended Universe".  They interact with that universe.

Comic book movies have spent more than a decade and a half setting up that they operate in shared universes, and reference each other to greater or lesser extents. If you went to one not knowing that the problem is with you, not the movies.

A lot of points that sound right to a comic book fan, but not to the general public.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 12:14:02 PM »
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=deadpool2016.htm

Methinks the "General Public" does just fine, and you should probably just stop going to movies with backstory.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 12:29:45 PM »
Mayhaps if you want the back story you could/should now watch the movie that gives said back story?

These movies are part of a franchise. It's not unreasonable that other elements from the franchise will come up or play a part to greater or lesser degrees, and that you may miss out on some of the more subtle things having not seen those other movies or know the back story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 12:51:01 PM »
... you should probably just stop going to movies with backstory.

Yeah, that's the message I'm getting.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 12:52:27 PM »
Mayhaps if you want the back story you could/should now watch the movie that gives said back story?

These movies are part of a franchise. It's not unreasonable that other elements from the franchise will come up or play a part to greater or lesser degrees, and that you may miss out on some of the more subtle things having not seen those other movies or know the back story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:laugh:. Also the message I'm getting.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2017, 01:45:15 PM »

Except it isn't, because the movie rights to Marvel's characters are held by three different studios. So it's unlikely that Deadpool or any of the X-Men characters will appear in Avengers. MCU commonly refers only to those movies made by Marvel, which now DOES include Spider-Man, despite the rights being held by Sony.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2017, 02:07:11 PM »
Except it isn't, because the movie rights to Marvel's characters are held by three different studios. So it's unlikely that Deadpool or any of the X-Men characters will appear in Avengers. MCU commonly refers only to those movies made by Marvel, which now DOES include Spider-Man, despite the rights being held by Sony.

While true for now, (X-men is arguably it's own, as intricate, universe since they have like 10-ish movies out) there is supposedly a cross-over charecter in GotG2, and talks of more sharing between Fox and Disney

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2017, 02:55:26 PM »
While true for now, (X-men is arguably it's own, as intricate, universe since they have like 10-ish movies out) there is supposedly a cross-over charecter in GotG2, and talks of more sharing between Fox and Disney

More than I knew about.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 04:30:50 PM »

Correct!
I had no idea what/who Deadpool was, still really don't.
All I know is he looks like spiderman.  I thought those adds were for spiderman as a matter of fact.
Where do people find the time for comics?
the only comic i am interested in is walking dead, only because I didn't know  it was a comic before I started watching.
Can't wait to see the last season
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."