Author Topic: Suicide Squad - what?  (Read 3747 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Suicide Squad - what?
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2017, 07:11:01 PM »
And again, you're assuming a mass audience knows that Deadpool was a comic book character, and that he interacts with a specific set of characters. It's the assuming too much that is the problem.

What exactly is wrong with assuming that?

Well I guess we shouldn't have dinosaurs in the Jurassic Park movie because people might not know that it is based on a book about dinosaurs.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2017, 07:13:08 PM »
What exactly is wrong with assuming that?

Well I guess we shouldn't have dinosaurs in the Jurassic Park movie because people might not know that it is based on a book about dinosaurs.

Ooooh, call the valid analogy committee. That's surely an award-winner.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2017, 10:13:20 PM »
Correct!
I had no idea what/who Deadpool was, still really don't.
All I know is he looks like spiderman.  I thought those adds were for spiderman as a matter of fact.
Where do people find the time for comics?
the only comic i am interested in is walking dead, only because I didn't know  it was a comic before I started watching.
Can't wait to see the last season
I read a couple of comics when I was a teenager.  It doesn't take a lot of time.  I got bored with it when I got older and move to better stories in novels.  They are a soap opera with super heroes for the most part. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2017, 11:10:42 PM »
While the industry appreciates the "general public" enjoying comic book movies, the comic book movies were never intended for the "general public". They were intended to be for the comic book fans, of whom there are enough of for a movie of that scale to make money in the current pop culture world.
I don't know if you realize this, but those nerds spend oodles of money on this stuff. Hollywood may be stupid in some ways, but not when it comes to making bucks.

Fistful, if you don't like comic books, then why'd you even bother to see it? You sound like an idiot. Stick to the stupid comedies and romantic drama's of your demographic and leave us comic book nerds to enjoy (or bitch over) our caped crusaders on the big screen.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2017, 11:25:21 PM »
Fistful, if you don't like comic books, then why'd you even bother to see it? You sound like an idiot. Stick to the stupid comedies and romantic drama's of your demographic and leave us comic book nerds to enjoy (or bitch over) our caped crusaders on the big screen.

What? My "demographic" like stupid comedies and romantic dramas?  ??? Which demographic is that?

I've enjoyed some comic book movies. I thought Deadpool was alright. Come to think of it, it actually was a stupid comedy and a romantic drama, and a comic book movie at the same time.

Don't tell me you actually liked Suicide Squad, though. Comics books aside, that movie was not very good.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2017, 11:41:55 PM »

Don't tell me you actually liked Suicide Squad, though. Comics books aside, that movie was not very good.

I was disappointed in it. It had a lot of things going for it, but they picked a story arc that was too complicated and detailed for an origins movie, especially a team, which resulted in several characters not getting the attention they deserved and too much backing and forthing during the story.

The reason I didn't get into my specific critique of Suicide Squad was because my issues with it have nothing to do with your issues. I don't have a problem with The Enchantress being magic (because, you know, she's magic. Always has been) or being confused that Superman is "dead" (How many times has he died, anyway? It happens a lot)
Just like I was actually totally psyched when Deadpool interacted with the token X-Men and don't get confused with the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver being in both the Avengers and the X-Men, with different backstories, ages and, well, everything.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2017, 12:49:19 AM »
I wouldn't have complained about the magic part, if she had just been an ensemble character. Or if the magic had been delineated in some way, like any other super-power. But the whole thing they did with her was really sloppy. And they made it central to the whole movie. It all felt very Maleficent to me.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2017, 11:20:33 PM »
What? My "demographic" like stupid comedies and romantic dramas?  ??? Which demographic is that?

You know, old people!
with yer liberty valence and yer zane greys and yer true grits  :old:

them comics is fer them youngsters, with their fancy pants and hipster capes and doodads.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »
You know, old people!
with yer liberty valence and yer zane greys and yer true grits  :old:

them comics is fer them youngsters, with their fancy pants and hipster capes and doodads.

My Dad was a comic fanboi before you were a twinkle in your daddys eyes.  :P

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2017, 12:22:27 AM »
I wouldn't have complained about the magic part, if she had just been an ensemble character. Or if the magic had been delineated in some way, like any other super-power. But the whole thing they did with her was really sloppy. And they made it central to the whole movie. It all felt very Maleficent to me.

How long before you start complaining about Groot having a three word vocabulary?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?