Author Topic: Recommend a spray paint?  (Read 2082 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Recommend a spray paint?
« on: March 11, 2017, 05:44:49 PM »
I have a knife, a Zero Tolerance 0561, that has a really cool titanium scale on one side, and a really plain black G10 (was brown) on the right side. I've wanted to have someone make a titanium scale for the right side, but the cost would be ridiculous. My brother is a machinist, but the cost for him to do it would still be a lot.

I finally decided to just paint it. Can anyone recommend a paint that would be tough enough for a knife handle, yet give a good satin finish? I also need to match color exactly.

Thanks for any replies.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Recommend a spray paint?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 05:54:30 PM »
Toughest would be Cerakote, But you probably wont get a color match. If you really need a good color match I'd consider an auto body shop.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 08:02:35 PM »
Kimball midwest.  

https://www.kimballmidwest.com/All-Products/Paint-Equipment-and-Supplies/

Fantastic stuff, but you'll pay like 10 buck per rattle can.  (assuming that's what you meant by spray paint)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 09:22:41 PM by Andiron »
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 08:50:54 PM »
Toughest would be Cerakote, But you probably wont get a color match. If you really need a good color match I'd consider an auto body shop.

Yeah, it needs to match. I had a paint shop in Nashville custom mix some paint for a guitar, but it cost $60 per quart, which is the smallest amount they sell.

I suppose I could try different titanium color paints until I find one that works, but that would probably wind up costing $60 as well. I wish the manufacturer made a right side scale in titanium already. Don't know why they'd have half titanium and the other side G10. Looks goofy.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 10:42:43 PM »
Don't know why they'd have half titanium and the other side G10. Looks goofy.

Does the titanium side have a clip on it? Some people like a smooth surface under the clip, so it doesn't tear up their clothing. Another possibility is that they're taking a style cue from some frame-lock knives, that have bare metal (the frame itself) on the lock side, and a scale on the other.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 12:33:49 AM »
This is the knife.I think it would look better if the two sides were titanium.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 09:46:47 AM »
What does having a titanium scale made cost?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 10:40:59 AM »
At least a couple of hundred, plus the cost of the titanium. I didn't ask my brother for a cost, but I'd have to be fair with him.

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 01:06:20 PM »
I'd go for a contrasting color; you'll never get a match close enough, and it will be obvious that you tried to and missed.  And it's easier.
"It's good, though..."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 04:15:22 PM »
I'd go for a contrasting color; you'll never get a match close enough, and it will be obvious that you tried to and missed.  And it's easier.

This.

And one of the epoxy based "gun paints" that's fortified with metal or ceramic powders are the only thing that will hold up to carry and pocket wear, at least for awhile.

Aircraft and automotive grade polyurethane based paint will come in a respectable second.

And prep, anal, OCD grade prep, like fine blasting, or wet tumbling with stainless steel pins, degreasing with MEK, then a bath in an ultrasonic cleaner, then distilled water rinse, and final rinse with acetone, then preheating the part in an oven and applying the paint while it is warm, then an additional baking would be needed.
I promise not to duck.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 04:40:37 PM »
At least a couple of hundred, plus the cost of the titanium. I didn't ask my brother for a cost, but I'd have to be fair with him.

Annodized aluminum?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 05:45:16 PM »
Annodized aluminum?

I don't think the color would match. The titanium has a slight blue cast. It could well be that another piece of titanium wouldn't match, either.

I could always mix paints to match and use an airbrush.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 08:23:40 PM »
Paint isn't going to look exactly like the titanium finish no matter how much you try to match it.  Are you willing to paint both scales?  That would simplify things.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 09:02:52 PM »
Paint isn't going to look exactly like the titanium finish no matter how much you try to match it.  Are you willing to paint both scales?  That would simplify things.

Oh, no. The titanium is the reason I bought it. It looks really cool.

I think I'm just stuck with it as it is, or I just get a metallic paint that's as close as I can.

Rick Hinderer, the artist who designed the knife for Zero Tolerance, made some knives that were very similar for his own collection. He offered a right-side titanium scale for those knives, but it doesn't fit the ZT knives.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 11:09:08 PM »
Rick Hinderer, the artist who designed the knife for Zero Tolerance, made some knives that were very similar for his own collection. He offered a right-side titanium scale for those knives, but it doesn't fit the ZT knives.
At $200 for the right hand scale alone?  Nice.

At this point, would it make any sense to sell the knife and try to buy one that has the full titanium that you want?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 12:03:24 AM »
At $200 for the right hand scale alone?  Nice.

At this point, would it make any sense to sell the knife and try to buy one that has the full titanium that you want?

The Hinderer knives are at least $500. I saw this one when I was in the hospital, and thought it was cool. Not $500 cool, though.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 08:26:34 AM »
Personally, rather than attempting to match and it just not being quite right, I would go for a contrasting color and call it a day. In the end it'll look better then a not quite right match.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 10:21:41 AM »
Personally, rather than attempting to match and it just not being quite right, I would go for a contrasting color and call it a day. In the end it'll look better then a not quite right match.

You can't see both sides simultaneously, so a slight mismatch wouldn't matter.

I've looked at some auto paint stores and can't find anything. I think mixing some model car paints to match would be the best route. Or just forget about the whole thing, which makes more sense.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 11:32:21 AM »
You don't think the Duracoat, in "Titanium," might look better and wear better than Testor's model paint that you mixed together to try to achive a color?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 11:38:15 AM »
Zynolyt rattle can speed enamel both sides. It won't hold up but it's cheap and you can respray it weekly. I once painted a whole jeep CJ with it.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 02:17:27 PM »
Zynolyt rattle can speed enamel both sides. It won't hold up but it's cheap and you can respray it weekly. I once painted a whole jeep CJ with it.

I'm not painting the titanium. ;)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 02:20:09 PM »
I don't think the color would match. The titanium has a slight blue cast. It could well be that another piece of titanium wouldn't match, either.

I could always mix paints to match and use an airbrush.

I have anodized aluminum camping cookware that is very close in color to my titanium camping cookware.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 08:08:40 PM »
I have anodized aluminum camping cookware that is very close in color to my titanium camping cookware.

I think actually having a titanium or aluminum scale done is now a moot point. My brother said he can do some personal projects at the shop where he works, but this would be too much.

Back to considering paint.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 08:44:47 PM »
Is this an EDC or a collector/ barbeque piece?