Author Topic: Loyce Deene, Machinist Mate--burial at sea  (Read 2823 times)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Loyce Deene, Machinist Mate--burial at sea
« on: March 13, 2017, 01:46:39 PM »
Loyce Edward Deen, an Aviation Machinist (Machinist's?) Mate 2nd Class, USNR, was a gunner on a TBM Avenger. On November 5, 1944, Deen's squadron participated in a raid on Manila, where his plane was hit multiple times by anti-aircraft fire while attacking a Japanese cruiser. Deen was killed.
The Avenger's pilot, Lt. Robert Cosgrove, managed to return to his carrier, the USS Essex. Both Deen and the plane had been shot up so badly that it was decided to leave him in the plane.

It is the only time in U.S. Navy history (and probably U.S. military history) that an aviator was buried in his aircraft after being killed in action.

http://loyceedeen.webstarts.com/uploads/GoingHome.mp4
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Loyce Deene, Machinist Mate--burial at sea
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 03:21:43 PM »
Sharing, in total, if you don't mind. Right after I get this cat hair out of my eyes...

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 03:33:16 PM »
Sharing, in total, if you don't mind. Right after I get this cat hair out of my eyes...

\

Please do. It came to me on the internet, I don't own it.

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 03:34:15 PM »
A more complete writeup is here

http://loyceedeen.webstarts.com/

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 03:36:30 PM »
And what came to my mind as the plane went over the edge was

And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done.

For those not familiar with it, it's from Revelation 20.  Day of Judgment.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 03:52:51 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 03:55:01 PM »
Wow. Altus, OK, is only about an hour from where I grew up.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 11:15:07 AM »
Very moving.  I loved that Victory at Sea program, which was mentioned in the link. I believe I still have a 33-1/3 LP recording of the suite of music from it, one of the few LPs I saved even after several household moves and several advances in recording technology.

Somehow, the concept of burial at sea seems to be especially moving to me because there's no "place" to go to, to pay one's respects.  It's a really, really final goodbye.

Terry

ETA
 Music Suite: https://youtu.be/x3dwsRSA6KE
Commentary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_at_Sea#Music

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:38:03 AM by 230RN »

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 02:22:25 PM »
Very moving.  I loved that Victory at Sea program, which was mentioned in the link. I believe I still have a 33-1/3 LP recording of the suite of music from it, one of the few LPs I saved even after several household moves and several advances in recording technology.

Somehow, the concept of burial at sea seems to be especially moving to me because there's no "place" to go to, to pay one's respects.  It's a really, really final goodbye.

Terry

ETA
 Music Suite: https://youtu.be/x3dwsRSA6KE

Ditto on all the above.

Some of my very earliest childhood memories are watching Victory at Sea reruns on PBS and visiting the USS Yorktown.
Commentary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_at_Sea#Music

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 02:52:48 PM by Jocassee »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 04:51:16 PM »
I didn't realize you could watch individual episodes from the episode links.  Scroll down from the music section.  I'm watching the Guadalcanal episode right now.  Lotsa bangin' and boomin' and bodies falling out of trees and like that there good stuff.  Oooo, and Garands.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:33:10 AM by 230RN »

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 07:11:19 PM »
I have the entire series on VHS tapes...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 07:23:26 PM »
A more complete writeup is here

http://loyceedeen.webstarts.com/

I'm going to have to save this to read later.
I while ago I had read The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, I wonder if he was mentioned.

Wow. Altus, OK, is only about an hour from where I grew up.

Brad

My grandpa grew up there. We would have some of our family reunions up in the Quartz Mountain State Park area.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 07:12:16 PM »
I volunteered for several more conventional burial at sea details. Old retirees get their wish granted by the USN and it is a nice ceremony. Usually no family, just videos. It is an involved process, sometimes months long wait for an available ship. I believe that my barge was popular due to us having a morgue. Bernie the pirate stayed there, higher story.

Caskets would be metal, predrilled with a lot of holesaw holes for sinking and heavily weighted. I assume that the body was bagged, but still an odor. The casket would be borne to the launching device, flags, rendered honors, Chaps saying words, standard military funeral. Not wanting to have foamies visible in the video I skipped hearing protection and was closest to the honor guard. Not having blanks aboard they used line launching charges in the M-14. By the third funeral that day I was dear, my Dixie cup had a fair amount of unburnt powder in it and my whites were pretty beat from lifting and sweating.

Weird atmosphere, outside of the ceremony we weren't somber, nobody knew the people. Chaplain had all kinds of funeral fail stories, not wanting to repeat sinking recalcitrant caskets with the fifty, or going out in the ship's boat to hole them with a fire axe. Similarly, aircrew in another command had no nice things to say about spreading ashes in flight, rotor wash, and the side of a leaky H-3 covered in gearbox oil.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 08:37:30 AM »
My first boat did a burial at sea, scatter the ashes. Retired Chief, WWII Submariner.
XO did the honors, "windward" and "leeward" usually aren't too important to a submarine, but sometimes it is.
CO, XO, "chaplain*", and the lookout all got a face full of "the chief" as he came to be known as the ashes were blown back on the bridge crew and into the bridge and the ventilation system.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 08:02:36 PM »
Not having blanks aboard they used line launching charges in the M-14.

Now that would be one way to have your ashes spread. It can launch a line pretty far. =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic