Author Topic: Need a burner Visa debit card?  (Read 1405 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Need a burner Visa debit card?
« on: March 13, 2017, 08:39:03 PM »
https://privacy.com/

Sign in for a free account.  You then link your bank account in their software.  You can then load up their firefox or chrome extension and then create burner Visa debit cards or a Visa debit card that is locked to one company and has a low credit limit (whatever you set it at.)
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Need a burner Visa debit card?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 10:06:45 PM »
For real?

https://privacy.com/about

We are a team of creators with extensive financial technology, regulatory, and product expertise. Backed by excellent investors, we are deeply committed to protecting your financial privacy and security.

With one exception, they all look they're barely out of their teens. "Extensive financial technology, regulatory, and product expertise"? Do they expect us to, like, believe that crap?

How can they offer this for free?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 10:43:13 PM »
For real?

https://privacy.com/about

With one exception, they all look they're barely out of their teens. "Extensive financial technology, regulatory, and product expertise"? Do they expect us to, like, believe that crap?

How can they offer this for free?[\b]

Quote from: From the FAQ on their website
How do you make money?
Every time you spend using a Privacy card, the merchant or website pays a fee (called interchange) to Visa and the issuing bank. This fee is shared with us. We have some premium features planned, but rest assured, our core virtual card product will always be free and we will never sell your personal data.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 01:08:07 AM »
Well, their English is pretty good.  That's a good sign.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 01:23:17 AM »
RevDisk.  RevDisk to the white racist courtesy phone please!

How good are these people at protecting privacy, really?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 01:35:53 AM »
We are a team of creators with extensive financial technology, regulatory, and product expertise. Backed by excellent investors, we are deeply committed to protecting your financial privacy and security.

Financial - "I once worked as a bank teller for six months."

Technology - "I'm a whiz at computer games."

Regulatory - "I've had more speeding tickets in the past six months than most people get in a lifetime."

Product expertise - "I paid for college by selling marijuana."

Yessir, sign me right up.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 02:18:04 AM »
Should I send them my ssn and mothers  maiden name?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 04:40:13 AM »

Regulatory - "I've had more speeding tickets in the past six months than most people get in a lifetime."

According to this article one of the founding members was the Chief Privacy Officer at American Express.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 08:35:00 AM »
They've had those for years...they're called prepaid cards.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 09:03:50 AM »
They've had those for years...they're called prepaid cards.

True, but I don't want to pay an extra ~$5 to activate one.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 09:12:18 AM »
Even better that its attached to your regular account so it can be monitored. controlled from your normal banking site.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 10:36:30 AM »
Yeah right...

There is ZERO privacy from the people/institutions you ACTUALLY WANT.  :P

Unless someone is willing to set up a "credit card" that... I dunno, is ultimately back-ended by Bitcoin or something, and just auto-exchanges between BTC and USD, and they don't want/know your SSN, name, address etc. and don't keep any logs... and are somehow able to tell the fed.gov to FOAD, and it becomes widely accepted by merchants, I hardly see the point.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 10:56:06 AM »
You can get VISA cards for cash at Walmart.  That worked well as a cash replacement the one time I tried it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 11:02:12 AM »
You can get VISA cards for cash at Walmart.  That worked well as a cash replacement the one time I tried it. 

BBBBBbbbbuuuuttt $5 activation! 
It cracks me up.  If someone is that worried about privacy, they'd just do the pre paid thing and suck up the activation.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 11:17:18 AM »
BBBBBbbbbuuuuttt $5 activation!  
It cracks me up.  If someone is that worried about privacy, they'd just do the pre paid thing and suck up the activation.

ATM's used to be have fees also.  It is still ingrained in my thinking to get the max amount of cash I am able to whenever I go to the ATM rather than just get $40 or something.  

I figure if they got more popular, you bank would probably start handing out pre-paid cards instead of cash (if requested) for little or no charge.   I don't think mine does, but I never asked.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 01:51:10 PM »
It strikes me that many of you are missing the point.  This product seems to be aimed at people who make online transactions with companies they aren't so sure about.  You know, places like Jimbo Billy Bob's Online Cyber Emporium, Zhang's Bargain Bin or Target.com.  Not something you'd exactly be best served by driving to Walmart to buy a prepaid card every time you planned on making a transaction.

I have several credit cards but pretty much use one for all personal stuff and another for all business stuff.  When I lost my personal card it was a non-trivial hassle to go through and fix all the billing info for recurring charges.  This kind of service could protect somewhat against your information being stolen online and compromising cards you use for other things.  In fact, we used to have a Discover credit card that let you generate card numbers with set limits just like this product for use in online transactions.

The intended users are not James Bond, Adam Kokesh or Theodore Kaczynski.

That said, you have to decide whether you trust this company enough to use it.  If my credit card number gets out there I have to change my info for the people I do business with but chances are I won't owe anything out of pocket.  If my bank account gets compromised through these people, I'm not guaranteed to get everything back.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 02:14:48 PM »
I get that, but many cards/banks offer "burner number" or one-time transaction programs like this for online purchasing.  So this smacks of trying to market an existing service "harder" and seeing if you can make people think you were the one who came up with it, and gain some market share.

And I'd figure Adam Kokesh or Theodore Kaczynski would just go make nitrates from their own urine or something. Ideological purity requires one be as grass-roots as possible.  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 02:39:40 PM »

Why am I reminded of Ben Cannon and Gpal?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 02:53:42 PM »
Why am I reminded of Ben Cannon and Gpal?

Damn, that is a name combo I haven't heard in a while.