Author Topic: We're doomed.  (Read 21820 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: We're doomed.
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2017, 07:14:47 AM »
Mike,
Just to be clear, if something is not (in your opinion) absolutely essential or irreplaceable it should not be taught?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2017, 07:33:14 AM »
Did I say that anywhere in this thread?

Be a good chap and show me where I said that.

I'm asking for examples of the economic, social, and moral devastation that would be wrought by schools stopping the teaching of cursive writing and reading, as that seems to be the primary reason some believe it should always be taught.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2017, 08:13:13 AM »
No one said it was the linchpin of the economy either.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2017, 08:29:36 AM »
No one said it was the linchpin of the economy either.

But that seems to be a prevailing theory backing up the "need" for cursive to be taught in schools.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2017, 08:47:11 AM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2017, 09:06:01 AM »

Looks like Dogmush just gave an example of "essential and irreplaceable".  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2017, 09:26:06 AM »
Looks like Dogmush just gave an example of "essential and irreplaceable".  =D

You can get the same effect with millennials simply by printing in proper, grammatically correct English and not putting in smiley faces, tortured abbreviations, or calls for social action.   

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2017, 09:41:59 AM »
 Yeah.... sigh.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2017, 10:13:56 AM »

If China stopped teaching cursive in their schools, how would all of those immigrant order takers get your order for lemon chicken and wonton soup?

It used to be that in a good Chinese restaurant the waiters (excuse me, "wait staff") never wrote anything down -- regardless of how many were seated at a table. It was a sign of their professionalism that they took every order by memory and never got anything wrong. I have no idea how they did it, but I saw it in operation enough times that it left me absolutely gobsmacked.

These days I can only afford the fast food, take-out type of Chinese restaurants, or the buffets.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #159 on: March 20, 2017, 11:24:56 AM »
It used to be that in a good Chinese restaurant the waiters (excuse me, "wait staff") never wrote anything down -- regardless of how many were seated at a table. It was a sign of their professionalism that they took every order by memory and never got anything wrong. I have no idea how they did it, but I saw it in operation enough times that it left me absolutely gobsmacked.

These days I can only afford the fast food, take-out type of Chinese restaurants, or the buffets.
I have seen that in the nicer restaurants before.  However, I don't care if they write it down just that they get it right. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2017, 12:09:03 PM »
I have seen that in the nicer restaurants before.  However, I don't care if they write it down just that they get it right.  

True, but the real question is: When they do it mentally, is the mental record in cursive, or block Han characters??
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:08:09 PM by Hawkmoon »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2017, 12:14:04 PM »
"Mike, what simple, direct questions do you want me to answer?"

Well, since you seem to believe that the ability to read/write in cursive is somehow the lynchpin that keeps the US economy from flying apart, what industry, economic sector, job class, etc., in the United States would be devastated if schools in the United States were to stop teaching children how to read and/or write cursive?

=) As expected. You ask me to substantiate claims I didn't make. Perhaps that's why I don't answer.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2017, 12:53:26 PM »
That's clearly been your inference in any number of messages in this thread.

So, once again, what businesses will suffer grievous calamity if cursive goes extinct?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2017, 02:58:55 PM »

So, once again, what businesses will suffer grievous calamity if cursive goes extinct?

:lol: Now who's dancing?

Inference is something the reader does, rather than the writer. If you mean that I implied some grievous calamity, I'd love to see it. Let's see what you come up with.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2017, 03:10:35 PM »

Ugly greeting cards.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2017, 04:08:49 PM »

Real estate title searches.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2017, 04:23:59 PM »
True, but the real question is: When they do it mentally, is the mental record in cursive, or block Han characters??
Does Chinese really have cursive?  I would have a tough time writing cursive right to left and vertical down the page. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2017, 04:26:21 PM »
Did I say that anywhere in this thread?

Be a good chap and show me where I said that.
Just here:
I'm asking for examples of the economic, social, and moral devastation that would be wrought by schools stopping the teaching of cursive writing and reading, as that seems to be the primary reason some believe it should always be taught.
Your primary argument in this thread seems to be that modern business can survive without it so it doesn't need to be taught.  Is that not your line of reasoning?  It seems to be the thrust of just about every post.

I agree that most people don't use it and don't need it to survive.
I agree that the economy won't collapse because of a lack of cursive competence. 
On the flip side:
I don't see it as counterproductive to learn cursive.
I could see learning cursive to be useful (especially at the age it is taught) to further teach hand-eye coordination.
There is a lot of cursive out there, and I think it is worthwhile for people to be able to read it.
I don't have any faith that schools will replace it with something worthwhile.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #168 on: March 20, 2017, 04:39:10 PM »
Real estate title searches.

Gee, this thread was getting funny again until you brought up that gem of an observation... I'm serious, not being snarky.

Too bad the title insurance companies destroy all the historical lore in those abstracts after they've done the title search.

But all those old records were written in a time when good penmanship was essential and "enforced" by the standards of "good practice."  I surmise that a Clerk and Recorder would not last long if he or she ("they") scribbled stuff out like my aforementioned correspondent; "pfbibxly," indeed.

That's really my only bitch about using cursive:  if you're going to use it, at least  put some effort into making it legible.  Otherwise, let local practice and perceived needs dictate whether it should be taught as an additional life skill, and leave the feds out of it.

Terry

REF (Just because the concept of "lost skills" reminded me of it):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Feeling_of_Power

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:01:23 PM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #169 on: March 20, 2017, 04:43:19 PM »
I agree that most people don't use it and don't need it to survive.
I agree that the economy won't collapse because of a lack of cursive competence. 
On the flip side:
I don't see it as counterproductive to learn cursive.
I could see learning cursive to be useful (especially at the age it is taught) to further teach hand-eye coordination.
There is a lot of cursive out there, and I think it is worthwhile for people to be able to read it.
I don't have any faith that schools will replace it with something worthwhile.

I agree with all of that, except the part about most people not using cursive. I don't know whether they do or not.

And how dare you put words in Mike's mouth? He would never. ever. ever. ever. ever. ever. ever. ever. ever. do that to you.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #170 on: March 20, 2017, 05:57:21 PM »
ALERT. ALERT. ALERT.

THREAD CLOSURE IMMINENT.

EXECUTE EVASIVE ACTION ON MY MARK.

MARK!

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: March 20, 2017, 06:07:12 PM »
I agree with all of that, except the part about most people not using cursive. I don't know whether they do
Fair point.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #172 on: March 20, 2017, 06:51:38 PM »
ALERT. ALERT. ALERT.

THREAD CLOSURE IMMINENT.

EXECUTE EVASIVE ACTION ON MY MARK.

MARK!

:D < take note.

Oh, come on.  When was the last time a thread was closed merely because of nit-picking debating team-type prolix?

Let the picayune back-and-forthing continue!

As I said, it's starting to get funny hilarious again.

:rofl: at these comedians.

Terry

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #173 on: March 20, 2017, 07:38:38 PM »
I think the real question is cursive cornbread recipe on a note case, vs block letting on the back of a jiffy corn cake mix box. Cooked in cast iron washed with or without soap.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #174 on: March 20, 2017, 08:17:20 PM »
Does Chinese really have cursive?  I would have a tough time writing cursive right to left and vertical down the page. 

Yes. It's where Japanese Hiragana comes from, or maybe it is their Katakana.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic