Author Topic: We're doomed.  (Read 21823 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: We're doomed.
« Reply #175 on: March 20, 2017, 08:23:35 PM »
Okay.  I thought their version of cursive was just a westernized way of doing their language and not traditional.  I never looked up history of it though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #176 on: March 20, 2017, 08:32:24 PM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #177 on: March 20, 2017, 08:54:25 PM »
This thread actually got me to thinking that I'm not sure  I could write in cursive right this second. I'm going to look it up, but without doing so first, I just ran through the alphabet and I can't remember how to make a proper capital "L" or either of the "Zs". As soon as I see them I'll be thinking "oh yeah", but I can't picture either one right now.

Regardless of whether cursive is functional in modern society, I still want to be able to write it mostly because I hate losing skills that I already have. If it's already in my brain, I might as well keep it there. Lord knows there's plenty of room.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #178 on: March 20, 2017, 09:20:12 PM »
I have a habit when writing cursive that letters will often be modified to more of a block text style, particularly capital letters. A for instance, or F and Q, are usually not "proper" cursive form but are still script and easily identifiable.

As for cursive yes I think it should still be taught. It's a proper and major form for writing our language. There are plenty of people who use it, plenty of historical documents in it and plenty that aren't even old enough to really be historical imo, etc.

It's not the end of the world if it isn't taught but then again it's not the end of the world if a LOT of things were to be dropped from the standard education program. And a lot of those before how to at least read and preferably also write in cursive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #179 on: March 20, 2017, 10:01:34 PM »
True, but the real question is: When they do it mentally, is the mental record in cursive, or block Han characters??

You're interested in their mental Han-writing?

Until this thread, and until I image-searched the words "cursive" and "meme," I was not aware that writing like an adult was considered to be a useless kind of fancy-writin' one learns in school, and then forgets. Electronic communication may be part of that, but I think it must also be poorly-taught, if people are finding it too difficult to actually use.

I'm going to have to use cursive more often. People will think I'm some sort of lesser deity.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 09:07:53 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #180 on: March 21, 2017, 11:28:35 AM »
I know when I have seen letters written by soldiers in past wars, the writing was beautiful and the prose exquisite.   All from people who were for the most part grade school drop-outs.

I wept for how far our education system has fallen.  And I use it to point out how the more .gov meddles in local affairs, the worse the outcome.  (I'm looking at you Dept of Education.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #181 on: March 28, 2017, 07:16:03 AM »
"Your primary argument in this thread seems to be that modern business can survive without it so it doesn't need to be taught.  Is that not your line of reasoning?  It seems to be the thrust of just about every post."

That's exactly what I'm saying. It doesn't NEED to be taught.

Which is counter to the argument of a few in here who seem to think that reading and writing cursive are somehow the single lynchpin of modern society, without which we would collapse back into the stone ages, and thus it MUST be taught, at all costs.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: March 28, 2017, 07:41:58 AM »
That's exactly what I'm saying. It doesn't NEED to be taught.
I agree.  If schools had to prove absolute economic necessity and irreplacability then cursive would certainly not meet that standard. Of course, the same could be said of literature, world history, US history, art, music, handwriting, home economics,  etc., etc.

Which is counter to the argument of a few in here who seem to think that reading and writing cursive are somehow the single lynchpin of modern society, without which we would collapse back into the stone ages, and thus it MUST be taught, at all costs.
Of course such reasoning is preposterous. Perhaps you could be a good chap and point to the posts that make that argument as I completely missed them.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #183 on: March 28, 2017, 08:00:25 AM »
"I agree.  If schools had to prove absolute economic necessity and irreplacability then cursive would certainly not meet that standard. Of course, the same could be said of literature, world history, US history, art, music, handwriting, home economics,  etc., etc."

Fail, although art and music are considered electives for significant reasons.

The other classes are significant because not teaching them chokes off HUGE avenues of understanding and knowledge about the modern world.

Not teaching cursive doesn't do that, because you're not choking off the teaching of all scripted forms of communication, i.e., promoting illiteracy.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2017, 08:41:56 AM »
The other classes are significant because not teaching them chokes off HUGE avenues of understanding and knowledge about the modern world.

Not teaching cursive doesn't do that, because you're not choking off the teaching of all scripted forms of communication, i.e., promoting illiteracy.
Wait, I thought our threshold was "the single lynchpin of modern society, without which we would collapse back into the stone ages."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #185 on: March 28, 2017, 08:50:20 AM »
Wait, I thought our threshold was "the single lynchpin of modern society, without which we would collapse back into the stone ages."

The way people have talked about its mystical properties in this thread, I'd have to say yes, some do believe that cursive is the single point of failure between HBO and back to cave dwelling.

Otherwise, why would be people be so completely wedded to what is a superfluous and far too often overtly cryptic means of "communication."

Maybe that's it. Maybe cursive's qualities lend itself to being the unbreakable code to prevent the .gub from spying on us?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: March 28, 2017, 08:57:46 AM »
The way people have talked about its mystical properties in this thread, I'd have to say yes, some do believe that cursive is the single point of failure between HBO and back to cave dwelling.
Who?  In which post?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2017, 09:09:24 AM »
Who?  In which post?

Really? You want exact words? You're incapable of grasping nuance?

Here's a nuance. Cursive is a *expletive deleted*ing waste of time in modern society.

I wonder what I mean by that?

Try post 42.

No, no, that can't be the case. The people who are complaining about cursive falling out of favor are only doing so because they are traditionalists, and you know, the old ways of the people and the telling of the stories is how we know who are are and where we came from...

I guess that's why Latin is a thriving language...

Boy you quill pen, black powder, horseback riding, breeches wearing luddites are fun to tweek...  >:D

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: March 28, 2017, 09:47:58 AM »
Fail, although art and music are considered electives for significant reasons.
I forgot to address this.  In my elementary school we had no elective classes, although we did have music and art.

Really? You want exact words?
???  Is that really such an outrageous request?

You're incapable of grasping nuance?
"Nuance" and "strawman" are not synonyms.

Try post 42.
Is that honestly how you read mak's post?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #189 on: March 28, 2017, 09:50:28 AM »
Really? You want exact words? You're incapable of grasping nuance?

Here's a nuance. Cursive is a *expletive deleted*ing waste of time in modern society.

I wonder what I mean by that?

Try post 42.

No, no, that can't be the case. The people who are complaining about cursive falling out of favor are only doing so because they are traditionalists, and you know, the old ways of the people and the telling of the stories is how we know who are are and where we came from...

I guess that's why Latin is a thriving language...

Boy you quill pen, black powder, horseback riding, breeches wearing luddites are fun to tweek...  >:D

Just because 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything; doesn't mean that the post is talking about cursive being the linchpin of society.

I forgot to address this.  In my elementary school we had no elective classes, although we did have music and art.
 ???  Is that really such an outrageous request?
Is that honestly how you read mak's post?

It's fistfuls post.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #190 on: March 28, 2017, 09:57:45 AM »

Otherwise, why would be people be so completely wedded to what is a superfluous and far too often overtly cryptic means of "communication."

Maybe that's it. Maybe cursive's qualities lend itself to being the unbreakable code to prevent the .gub from spying on us?

But those other classes still are not the linchpin. We could get rid of teaching literature, world history, US history, art, music, handwriting, home economics,  etc., etc. Because apparently that is the only reason for teaching cursive?
Funny, I don't remember that about cursive when I was taught it in grade school and I understood pretty damn well... in grade school.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #191 on: March 28, 2017, 10:11:31 AM »
I know when I have seen letters written by soldiers in past wars, the writing was beautiful and the prose exquisite.   All from people who were for the most part grade school drop-outs.

I wept for how far our education system has fallen.  And I use it to point out how the more .gov meddles in local affairs, the worse the outcome.  (I'm looking at you Dept of Education.)
Some of that might be cultural and some education.  Teachers taught better writing and demanded it be done that way.  Also, the speaking and writing in radio and print media was generally done in proper English.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #192 on: March 28, 2017, 10:21:17 AM »
"But those other classes still are not the linchpin."

You're right, NOTHING is the lynchpin.

That's why we should get rid of ALL government mandated public education!

"Just because 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything"

I wondered if any of you would get why I chose that post...

You slackjawed yokels still don't get it, do you?

I even told you, you guys are FUN TO TWEEK.

Of course cursive isn't the scripted equivalent to 42. Watching you clownfish run around, wring your hands, and get all defendy and consternated over obviously ridiculous statements is.

Hum... maybe you're not so fun to tweek after all. You just don't realize you're being tweeked.

Personally, I don't care if cursive is taught in schools or not.

The historian in me says hey, it's traditional and a tie to the past, so why not teach it.

The pragmatic part of me says what does it really matter, because most schools are sucking in little dullards and spitting out larger dullards, so it's all pretty much everything is lost on them.

The evil part of me says I love discussions like this...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #193 on: March 28, 2017, 10:53:48 AM »

I think the word he's looking for is "hyperbole." So let's hyperbolate. Hey, Mike. Why do you want schools to only teach picture books? Why do you want to limit mathematics to tally marks, and word problems about children holding handfuls of apples?

The pragmatic part of me says what does it really matter, because most schools are sucking in little dullards and spitting out larger dullards, so it's all pretty much everything is lost on them.

True. If the schools are going to be warehouses for kids, in an Idiocracy, then it really doesn't matter.

Hows come you ain't got no tattoo, man?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:13:39 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #194 on: March 28, 2017, 11:13:30 AM »
Why, I don't want schools to teach anything at all!

Look at the job they did with you lot!

Talk about wasted tax dollars...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #195 on: March 28, 2017, 11:35:38 AM »
What happens if I order a quill pen and parchment paper on Amazon and I print a letter?  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #196 on: March 28, 2017, 12:37:47 PM »
What happens if I order a quill pen and parchment paper on Amazon and I print a letter?  =D

You get a refund of your school taxes?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: March 28, 2017, 02:15:26 PM »
You slackjawed yokels still don't get it, do you?

I even told you, you guys are FUN TO TWEEK.

Of course cursive isn't the scripted equivalent to 42. Watching you clownfish run around, wring your hands, and get all defendy and consternated over obviously ridiculous statements is.

Hum... maybe you're not so fun to tweek after all. You just don't realize you're being tweeked.
Oh man, you showed us.  There's nothing quite as intellectually dazzling as emphatically and repeatedly making weak arguments against positions no one holds then hammering it home with "LOLZ!  I TROLLED YOU!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #198 on: March 28, 2017, 03:55:11 PM »
Yes I'm sure it was a learning experience for you...

While it was really an exercise in do these as asshats really care about this boredom relief for me.

Thanks for playing!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

cordex

• Administrator
Re:
« Reply #199 on: March 28, 2017, 04:39:15 PM »
Yes I'm sure it was a learning experience for you...
So much in life is.