Author Topic: Inorganic mulch  (Read 755 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Inorganic mulch
« on: March 15, 2017, 01:11:51 AM »
So.  SWMBO is getting her garden interest going.  She's been watching some "Great Courses" videos on gardening.  The instructor was talking about mulch.  Said something about organic mulch.  Then went into a discussion on inorganic mulch.

:facepalm:

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Inorganic mulch
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 01:30:53 AM »
 :facepalm:

http://really-useful.y2u.co.uk/Garden/Ru_Garden_020_Mulching_A1.html

Some Types of Inorganic Mulch
-----------------------------

Inorganic mulches are inert materials that have not originated from living material. Sometimes inorganic and organic mulches are used in conjunction with one another. For example a geotextile (inorganic mulch) may be covered and held in place by bark chips (organic mulch). Some common inorganic mulches are:

* Stone - Looks great and provides great insulation. If removal in spring is a factor in your choice of mulch avoid using stone. Degrades very, very slowly. Apply to a depth of 2 - 4 inches.

* Plastic - Does not decompose so it does not add anything into the soil. Acts as a great weed control and is easily laid. Must be perforated to allow water to pass through. Apply in a thickness of 1 - 6 mm.

* Geotextile - Expensive blanket-like synthetic fiber that provides great weed control and allows for water penetration. Almost always used in conjunction with a cover mulch (e.g. bark chips). Apply in a single layer.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 07:27:23 AM »
You're kidding, right?

Inorganic mulch is a thing, as RKL points out. Friends of mine used to plant cantaloupes, big fields of them, and would use big rolls of black plastic as the mulch.

I've frequently mulched vegetable gardens with the same black plastic.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 12:57:02 PM »
I guess "fill" was just too old-fashioned a term so they had to name it something new and snappy.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 01:04:34 PM »
I guess "fill" was just too old-fashioned a term so they had to name it something new and snappy.

Brad

Fill and mulch are two totally different things, and denote totally different purposes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 04:02:39 PM »

Wait, inorganic mulch isn't the correct term?  First time I heard it was when they started replacing playground mulch with recycled tire material.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 09:11:29 PM »
Wait, inorganic mulch isn't the correct term?  First time I heard it was when they started replacing playground mulch with recycled tire material.

Uggg... I hated that stuff. It stinks.

It also leaves a kind of road rash if you land on it wrong.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 10:18:06 PM »
It's probably not what you're thinking and it looks nothing like what we usually call "mulch" -- but it does the same thing.  Attaching a picture.  You can run drip line under it while laying it which is pretty nice.  Keeps down water usage and lowers risk of fungal diseases like powdery mildew.  Downside is that you have to get it out of the field at the end of the season and that often sucks.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 12:30:32 AM »
I like the description of stone as degrading 'very very slowly'. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.