Author Topic: We live in crazy times, Part MCMLVIII  (Read 2462 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
We live in crazy times, Part MCMLVIII
« on: March 16, 2017, 08:34:06 AM »
http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/13/grade-school-ends-father-daughter-dance-tradition-after-a-few-parents-say-its-not-inclusive/?utm_campaign=atdailycaller&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

Schools are banning "Father/Daughter" and "Mother/Son" events because they are not inclusive.

Oh, and HERE'S a gem of a quote:

“However the child wants to define their family, whoever they want to bring with them, they’re able to do that,” McCord told the station.

“When they walk into their house, it’ll look different than mine. And that’s great!” McCord added. “We want to embrace that and learn from it.”

Ah yes, words mean whatever people want them to mean. It's Great! and we can learn from it.

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: We live in crazy times, Part MCMLVIII
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 08:39:48 AM »
http://www.prb.org/Publications/Articles/2012/US-children-grandparents.aspx

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/the-number-of-children-living-in-single-parent-homes-has-nearly-doubled-in

I don't pay taxes for schools to do breakfast with daddy.  I pay for them to teach children.  Every stupid thing they do from breakfasts with daddy/mommy/mommy's gay friend, to diabetes walks and anything in between is a waste of time and resources.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 08:51:03 AM »

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/the-number-of-children-living-in-single-parent-homes-has-nearly-doubled-in

I don't pay taxes for schools to do breakfast with daddy.  I pay for them to teach children.  Every stupid thing they do from breakfasts with daddy/mommy/mommy's gay friend, to diabetes walks and anything in between is a waste of time and resources.

Uh huh. After school (or before school) events are paid for by taxpayer monies? Oh, wait, let's go to the article:

The father-daughter dance and the mother-son hike, which are both PTA fundraising activities, will now be marketed differently.

Emphasis added.

Yes, because some children are in sad situations, we should just ignore the special relationship that exists between a father and a daughter and a mother and a son. Because it will make children in sad situations sad. Oh, wait, we're supposed to pretend that the sad situations are GREAT! and we can learn from them.  

And, here's the result, again from the unread article:

Also in 2016, the Rochester, Minnesota school district changed the name of father-daughter dances to “parent-daughter dances” to improve sensitivity. The change caused a massive drop in popularity which led to the dance’s wholesale cancellation.

Oh hey. "Parent-daughter" dance isn't as popular, because sane people recognize something special about a father daughter event that is lost when it becomes "family dance."

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 08:54:51 AM »
The whole point of PTO is to funnel funds back into schools.  Why do we pay taxes again?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 08:57:13 AM »
I don't pay taxes for schools to do breakfast with daddy.  I pay for them to teach children.  Every stupid thing they do from breakfasts with daddy/mommy/mommy's gay friend, to diabetes walks and anything in between is a waste of time and resources.

Those activities put you in closer contact with the teachers and administrators and signal that you're engaged and paying attention.  We've been on a first-name basis with many of our kids' teachers, counselors, etc.  I feel that frequent contact and face-time results in a mutually beneficial environment for all involved.

At least in the schools my kids attended, many of those non-educational activities are extra-cost items.  When I've had meals at their schools or attended charity walks, runs, etc, I had to pay.  Whether or not that fee covered the entire cost or not is not known to me, but it wasn't fully funded by the school system.

Chris

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 09:14:54 AM »

I thought you home schooled.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 09:33:26 AM »
Don't you make your wife homeschool your whelps, Jamis?

What are you bitching about, then?

:rofl:  :rofl: :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 10:15:42 AM »
They started back in Public school this school year actually.
JD

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »
“However the child wants to define their family, whoever they want to bring with them, they’re able to do that,” McCord told the station.

"The child" is singular. "Their" and "them" are plural. Get your nouns and pronouns straight, numbnuts. You're supposed to be an educator. Stop worrying about gender and teach.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 10:53:00 AM »
Oh hey. "Parent-daughter" dance isn't as popular, because sane people recognize something special about a father daughter event that is lost when it becomes "family dance."

This.  It's supposed to be a good opportunity to show a daughter how she should expect to be treated on a date.

Frankly, the single mothers' claim that "he/she has plenty of male role models at school/church/whatever" is pretty tiresome: the kids have a lot more female role models there, so then why do they need a mother at home?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 11:14:57 AM »
I've read that in some school districts, rebellious parents have begun organizing their own activities (father/daughter dances, high school proms, etc.) because the schools have started going off the rails.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 11:17:47 AM »
I've read that in some school districts, rebellious parents have begun organizing their own activities (father/daughter dances, high school proms, etc.) because the schools have started going off the rails.

The Benedict option.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 12:01:55 PM »
They could then include the home school kids.  

Stuff like Little League baseball has always been separate.  Maybe that is a better way to go to get the schools out of it since the various governments have chosen to saddle them with all sorts of regulations.

Or they could pay more attention to who their school board members are and organize a good tar and feathering. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 12:11:06 PM »
They started back in Public school this school year actually.

I can imagine that discussion...

Jamis - Honey, I think the kids should be home schooled again this year.

Mrs. Jamis - YOU educate the grotty little bastards!

Jamis - OK, I WILL!

Thing one and Thing two (on phone) - PLEASE LET US BACK IN SCHOOL! WE PROMISE WE'LL BE EVER SO DULL AND WON'T THROW THE CURVE ON THE STANDARDIZED TESTING BY BEING TOO SMART! PLEASE!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 02:53:15 PM »
I can imagine that discussion...

Jamis - Honey, I think the kids should be home schooled again this year.

Mrs. Jamis - YOU educate the grotty little bastards!

Jamis - OK, I WILL!

Thing one and Thing two (on phone) - PLEASE LET US BACK IN SCHOOL! WE PROMISE WE'LL BE EVER SO DULL AND WON'T THROW THE CURVE ON THE STANDARDIZED TESTING BY BEING TOO SMART! PLEASE!

Lol

Nah they both asked for it.
Thriving too. 
JD

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 06:55:02 PM »

"The child" is singular. "Their" and "them" are plural. Get your nouns and pronouns straight, numbnuts. You're supposed to be an educator. Stop worrying about gender and teach.

Using "their" when the subject is a single individual is the new norm for gender non-discrimination. It allows the writer to avoid all the awkward "his/her" or the ever-so-lengthy "his or her" constructs.

So it's both gender-neutral AND efficient, all in one. In other words -- a lazy cop-out.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 08:59:01 PM »
Lol

Nah they both asked for it.
Thriving too. 

If my choice were face off against an angry lepruchuan every morning, or get on the long yellow bus for time time in the state behavioral deadening factory....

Don't rush me, I'm thinking!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 09:01:14 PM »
God forbid a modern educator in the state think academy use "he" collectively to refer to both male and female students.

Said educator would likely be hanged in the courtyard at lunch by the PTA for crimes against feminism, and giving little boys leave to think that they're actually little boys.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 10:51:49 PM »
Using "their" when the subject is a single individual is the new norm for gender non-discrimination. It allows the writer to avoid all the awkward "his/her" or the ever-so-lengthy "his or her" constructs.

So it's both gender-neutral AND efficient, all in one. In other words -- a lazy cop-out.

Great. Let's destroy the language in the name of correctness. It's Newspeak.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 11:40:21 PM »

Their as a gender neutral pronoun, while a grammatical catastrophe, has been around for a long time and isn't rooted in SJWness, but rather used to specify a hypothetical person for which the gender isn't known.

It's ugly and stupid, but its origins aren't PC garbage. I remember hearing, and recoiling to this, long ago
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 07:12:33 AM »
Their as a gender neutral pronoun, while a grammatical catastrophe, has been around for a long time and isn't rooted in SJWness, but rather used to specify a hypothetical person for which the gender isn't known.

It's ugly and stupid, but its origins aren't PC garbage. I remember hearing, and recoiling to this, long ago

Actually, use of their, which is a plural pronoun, in situations where a singular pronoun is correct IS a product of the same thought control movement that gave us social justice warriorism. It began with the movement in the 1960s of "avoiding sexist language."

When I worked for NRA we got new dictionaries. In the back was a multipage section explaining how to avoid sexist language... use chairperson instead of the violent thought rape term chairman, etc.

The use of their as a means of avoiding use of the more specific he/she was also discussed, and was recommended even though it was a violation of extant grammar rules.

Tragically that section of my new dictionary did not survive an encounter with an X-acto knife.

But, the usage is gaining increasing traction, and is showing up as an accepted non-standard usage.

It's even showing up on dictionary.com...

(used with a singular indefinite pronoun or singular noun antecedent in place of the definite masculine his or the definite feminine her):
Someone left their book on the table. It's good for the teacher to have high expectations for their students.

And yes, it is incorrect now, but it is changing, and becoming more accepted by more and more users, which is how languages and their associated grammar rules change in the first place -- not by the actions of some committee (unless you're in France or Iceland).

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 07:19:10 AM »

Now you're catching on.

(WAIT! Is that "you're," or "your"? Or "yore"?)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 07:24:39 AM »
Actually, use of their, which is a plural pronoun, in situations where a singular pronoun is correct IS a product of the same thought control movement that gave us social justice warriorism. It began with the movement in the 1960s of "avoiding sexist language."

When I worked for NRA we got new dictionaries. In the back was a multipage section explaining how to avoid sexist language... use chairperson instead of the violent thought rape term chairman, etc.

In the 1970s I was on the board of directors of a mental health halfway house. The "chairperson" of the board was an elderly and very gracious woman, the mother of a prominent clergyman who was one of the national leaders of all the then-current SJW claptrap. Someone on the board suggested that, in deference to Katherine's son and his social positions we should not refer to her as "Madam Chairman."

At the next meating, the VP of the board stood and opened his remarks with, "Madam Chaircreature."

The only two people who guffawed were me ... and Katherine.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 07:31:57 AM »
The chair of the Fairfax County board of Supervisors is a woman -- Sharon Bulova. Nice lady, we've worked together on a number of things, and I serve on a commission with her daughter-in-law -- but a bit liberal for my tastes.

Except on the subject of her title.

She positively bristles if anyone suggests that she be referred to as anything other than Chairman Bulova.