Author Topic: Chuck Berry has died!  (Read 497 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Chuck Berry has died!
« on: March 18, 2017, 07:34:11 PM »
90 yrs old.
Last yr i recall wondering if he was still touring.
Goodness,  I can't imagine that him writing about "sweet little sixteen" a million yrs ago would sound so strange now.
Very interesting guitar style too, hard to duplicate for beginners because of the chords he uses are more suitable for piano..
While I don't think he cared much about politics, I bet he had a gun or two stashed somewhere around just in case.
I wish I had seen him in concert.
Wow, 90 yrs old. 
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Chuck Berry has died!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 07:45:06 PM »
Interesting that his home was so far from St. Louis. A lot of sources are reporting it as St. Charles, but it seems to have been further out, in Wentzville.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 11:05:17 PM »
Roll over, Beethoven, tell Tchaikovsky the news.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 11:03:09 AM »
I saw him in concert a couple of times. A great performer, and a great musician. I hate the word "pioneer" when applied to entertainers, but he truly was. He took some riffs from blues players such as T Bone Walker and mixed them with his own to come up with a radical new sound. The Rolling Stones would never have become a supergroup without Chuck Berry.

He was also incredibly athletic. His duck walk, splits, and other moves while playing take enormous strength and skill.

He was bitter most of his adult life over being screwed by the music industry, and rightfully so. He, Little Richard, Bo Diddley and other black performers got screwed on their records. The Stones made hundreds of millions of dollars from playing his music, while he made maybe a few million.

He was a difficult person to work with, and could be an a*****e just for the sake of being one, but the results were always great.