Author Topic: Trumps wall.  (Read 1367 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Trumps wall.
« on: March 19, 2017, 08:29:14 PM »
For this discussion I'm not interested in the yes or no politics of it. I'm interested in what it would actually be.

How tall, wide, what materials, etc. Optimal location i.e. right on the border or some distance in country.

How would it be staffed, maintained, and resupplied.

You know all those little details that we don't get to because of the overall shouting on the issue.

I call my idea the MAGA-No! LINE. (Make America Great Again-No (entry for you) Line)

For me if I was building it I don't see the need for one contiguous wall.

Why not a series of fortlets built from HESCOs and shipping containers spaced every so often that troops patrol out of.

Put the fortlets in the best location for crossing so they block those route directly and space them depending on how hard the terrain is to see into and drive over. Closer, harder terrain would have the fortlets closer together and with easier, open terrain you could space them farther apart.

Why HESCOs and containers? They're cheap, modular, and easy to work with. Plus you're not defending against an armed invasion. Just normal folks on foot mostly so you don't need the expense of a hardened site.

Resupply using trucks and cargo helicopters. Possibly build a railroad behind the MAGA-No! line to make resupply even easier.

Make sure the fortlets are comfortable (AC and cold houses) for the personnel and spend the extra to make sure they get good food. Also rotate the people out on no more than a weekly basis. And probably less than that.  In addition make sure that all the staffers get a chance at being posted in the easier areas and take their turns in the harder areas. Keep slots open in the very best places (near cities or the coasts) open for top performers so they have something to compete for.

That's my basic outline. Like I said, no politics just practically about the structure itself.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

zahc

• friend
Re: Trumps wall.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 08:31:00 PM »
Just use drones to patrol
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 09:11:58 PM »
I think Trump uses "the wall" the same way he uses "wiretapping". A general term for a number of alternatives.

In some areas, walls will be both practical and the best option. In other areas, there will likely be electronic frontiers. In others, UAVs, etc. This won't be a single solution.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 09:27:08 PM »
Limes Germanicus
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 10:14:36 PM »
FOB doctrine of Hescos and conex stuff would be ideal.  You'd have a perfect place to rotate reserve/guard units,  and in no time at all,  word would get out that jumping the border wasn't worth the effort.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 10:15:52 PM »
What trumps wall?

Oh, you meant Trump's wall?

(Bet this fella never learned no cursive. :old: )
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 10:59:53 PM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 11:25:41 PM »
That's both amazing and terrifying. Going up a level is still the same hard challenge as now I'd expect.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 11:38:37 PM »
FOB doctrine of Hescos and conex stuff would be ideal.  You'd have a perfect place to rotate reserve/guard units,  and in no time at all,  word would get out that jumping the border wasn't worth the effort.

We're busy, and that's not our mission.

The US doesn't have the personnel to man a set of fortifications like you're describing, not to mention the cost of housing, feeding, and maintaining that many troops.  An actual wall would both be better and cheaper.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 12:01:56 AM »
We're busy, and that's not our mission.

The US doesn't have the personnel to man a set of fortifications like you're describing, not to mention the cost of housing, feeding, and maintaining that many troops.  An actual wall would both be better and cheaper.
If we don't have the personnel to secure our border . . . what the hell are we spending hundreds of billions of dollars on our military for?

The PROBLEM with using the military to stop illicit cross-border traffic is the insane ROE's that would be imposed.

As for what kind of wall to build - why don't we ask the Israelis what they built around Gaza? That seems to have been reasonably effective.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 12:12:09 AM »
If we don't have the personnel to secure our border . . . what the hell are we spending hundreds of billions of dollars on our military for?

The PROBLEM with using the military to stop illicit cross-border traffic is the insane ROE's that would be imposed.

As for what kind of wall to build - why don't we ask the Israelis what they built around Gaza? That seems to have been reasonably effective.

It's never really been the military's mission to stop Illegal Immigrants.  That's a law enforcement mission.  The US Army helped (on and off) but we're not good at it and it's a misuse of men and materiel.  You want cops.  The Military is not cops.  Not to mention we're still kinda busy with the whole Islamic Terror Extremism thing.

The hard truth of it is you can't really put men with guns at the border because we (America) is not ready to start shooting illegals coming into the country.  If you aren't going to shoot them, men with guns aren't the tool you want to use.  The real point of a wall (or fence, or trench) is that it will slow border crossings without killing (except by accident) the folks it deters.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 12:23:59 AM »
It's never really been the military's mission to stop Illegal Immigrants.  That's a law enforcement mission.  The US Army helped (on and off) but we're not good at it and it's a misuse of men and materiel.  You want cops. 

Ya know how we're always saying the alphabet agencies shouldn't have armed agents? IRS, BATFE, etc? What if we was to transfer all o' them boys to ICE, and have them patrol the border? Win-win!  :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 12:44:00 AM »
I'm thinking something smooth faced (to not give any foot/hand holds for climbing) topped with razor wire (to prevent some idiot from trying to go over with a grappling hook or ladders).  Thinking concrete or similar.  Maybe steel shell filled with sand or similar.   If you want to be really clever, have it be wider at the top than at the bottom to make it even harder to climb/scale/ladder/etc.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 01:24:14 AM »
If you want to be really clever, have it be wider at the top than at the bottom to make it even harder to climb/scale/ladder/etc.

You'll never get past our Inverted Ziggurat of Doom!