Author Topic: Cyanide mine kills dog, injuries boy in Idaho.  (Read 9088 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Cyanide mine kills dog, injuries boy in Idaho.
« on: March 20, 2017, 10:12:19 AM »
http://fox59.com/2017/03/18/idaho-boy-sprayed-by-cyanide-planted-by-us-department-of-agriculture-dog-killed/

What the f*ck?  The department of Agriculture plants cyanide traps in public areas without any warning signs?  That is criminal negligence in my book.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Cyanide mine kills dog, injuries boy in Idaho.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 10:18:00 AM »
"I'm from the Government ... I'm here to help."

Yeah, right. Incomprehensibly stoopid.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 10:21:24 AM »
On Friday, US Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services told EastIdahoNews.com this is the first unintentional discharge of an M-44 in Idaho since 2014.

Well, if it was that long ago since the last accident, gee, what's everyone getting worked up about?  ;/

I can't believe they didn't put a ridiculous amount of warning signs around the area. Steel signs freakin' cemented into the ground so they can't be easily removed. If a private individual or organization did this, there would already be charges.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 10:25:22 AM »
Well, if it was that long ago since the last accident, gee, what's everyone getting worked up about?

"In Idaho" "since 2014" is way too many qualifiers on how often poison gas booby traps go off on people or pets.

ETA: looks like the Wikipedia article shows a couple of incidents in Utah.  Hard to believe they're not more common than what's reported there, though.  Also shows that the device should include bilingual signage.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 10:51:06 AM »
Aren't booby traps illegal on private property because you don't control when they're set off and you could injure/kill someone unjustifiably?

It seems like that same logic should be applied to public property.  I get that 'yote populations can be a real problem, we're having issues with some aggressive Coydogs where I live.  It just seems like trapping and/or shooting them might be safer than poison mines.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 11:19:43 AM »
What the actual *expletive deleted*ck?!?! Can we PLEASE choke the living *expletive deleted*it out of the US Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services who planted these damned indiscriminate killers?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 11:22:44 AM »
I guess I am a bit surprised we haven't heard of more incidents with this.  If not people, then livestock. 

It does seem like someone screwed up putting the things right on the edge of their property.  I imagine that is the main discussion at that agency right now.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 11:23:47 AM »
Why is it even in a residential area first of all?

Second of all why isn't this bigger news?

http://www.sacbee.com/news/investigations/wildlife-investigation/article2574606.html

Guess the problem was noticed several years back and an attempt was made to outlaw them.

Look at these numbers.  This is as of 2012, who knows how many more since.

Agency records show that more than 3,400 animals have been mistakenly killed by M-44s since 2006, including black bears, bobcats, raccoons, opossums, ravens, ringtails, red fox, gray fox, kit fox, swift fox, turkey vultures and dogs.

At least 18 employees and several members of the public have been exposed to cyanide, too, over the past 25 years. None died, but many were treated for nausea, blurred vision and other symptoms.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/investigations/wildlife-investigation/article2574606.html#storylink=cpy

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 11:30:33 AM »
I can't imagine that happening to my family. I'd think I was in the twilight zone. They've got landmines out there like it's the Balkans, or something.  :facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 11:33:05 AM »
Why is it even in a residential area first of all?

My first guess would be that the "residential area" looked like "wilderness" to some city raised tard who works for the ag dept.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 11:39:54 AM »
What farking bureaucrat thought that was a good idea ?!?!?!?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 11:42:44 AM »
This is absolutely unimaginable. I've got a very low opinion of most government employees, but CONGRATULATIONS DoA (there's a rather foreboding acronym), you failed even my admittedly low expectations for government workers.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 11:45:26 AM »
And we thought it was a bad thing that they had submachine guns...

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 11:48:05 AM »
And we thought it was a bad thing that they had submachine guns...

Just wait until the DOD adds claymores to the 1033 program.....

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 12:04:54 PM »
From the linked story in the OP:

“I see this little pipe that looked like a sprinkler sticking out of the ground,” Canyon told EastIdahoNews.com. “I go over and touch it. Then it makes a pop sound and it spews orange gas everywhere.”

The orange gas was cyanide, and it sprayed into Canyon’s left eye and on his clothing.

Shouldn't someone be facing TERRORISM charges because they set a dirty bomb / WMD in the USA?

This isn't a tongue-in-cheek comment - I'm serious. It EXPLODED and spewed POISON GAS. How the <expletive> can even a .gov worker get away with this crap?  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 12:19:01 PM »
From the linked story in the OP:

Shouldn't someone be facing TERRORISM charges because they set a dirty bomb / WMD in the USA?

This isn't a tongue-in-cheek comment - I'm serious. It EXPLODED and spewed POISON GAS. How the <expletive> can even a .gov worker get away with this crap?  :mad:

A "pop" doesn't mean an explosion. According the Wiki page ("but that's what they want you to know!") for the M44, it's spring-driven.

Also, they apparently aren't designed to kill more than one thing at a time, so they're not exactly a "mass destruction" device.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 12:50:37 PM »

A "pop" doesn't mean an explosion. According the Wiki page ("but that's what they want you to know!") for the M44, it's spring-driven.

Also, they apparently aren't designed to kill more than one thing at a time, so they're not exactly a "mass destruction" device.

Anyone in the vicinity would be affected.  (along with anyone attempting to render aid, as Cyanide is pretty persistent).  In addition, being that it is a Chemical weapon it meets the WMD standard.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 12:54:44 PM »
It's OK. It was planted by the government, and they're here to help us.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 12:58:59 PM »
Well, if it was that long ago since the last accident, gee, what's everyone getting worked up about?  ;/

I can't believe they didn't put a ridiculous amount of warning signs around the area. Steel signs freakin' cemented into the ground so they can't be easily removed. If a private individual or organization did this, there would already be charges.

Given the federal regulations for signage that lawn care companies must comply with when they do lawn applications, you'd think that the Government would...

Oh wait, silly me. The government routinely excuses/exempts itself from just about all regulations that it enacts on the little people...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 01:11:51 PM »

So if I do something like adapting a mouse trap to spew cyanide over a limited area in front of my house or a public park and some kid and his dog get sprayed with cyanide . . . they WON'T charge me with a terrorist act and put me in a prison cell so deep I'll need a tunnel to see sunlight?

I don't think I'm going to test that premise.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 02:32:09 PM »
Doesn't everyone need a bouncing betty style cyanide mine?

Get fun at parties.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 02:40:29 PM »
So if I do something like adapting a mouse trap to spew cyanide over a limited area in front of my house or a public park and some kid and his dog get sprayed with cyanide . . . they WON'T charge me with a terrorist act and put me in a prison cell so deep I'll need a tunnel to see sunlight?

I don't think I'm going to test that premise.

I don't disagree with the terrorism part. I'm just not convinced this thing is a WMD.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:45:20 PM by fistful »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 04:40:20 PM »
Doesn't everyone need a bouncing betty style cyanide mine?

Get fun at parties.
Yeah, tie it in with those cell phone apps that you use to answer your doorbell when you are not home.   [ar15]
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 05:00:27 PM »

I don't disagree with the terrorism part. I'm just not convinced this thing is a WMD.

FedGov and FBI says it is.

In July 2006, the FBI created the Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) Directorate to build a cohesive and coordinated approach to incidents involving chemical, biological, radiological, or nuclear (CBRN) material—with an overriding focus on prevention. The WMD Directorate proactively seeks out and relies on intelligence to drive preparedness, countermeasures, and investigations designed to keep WMD threats from becoming reality.

WMD Basics
Definition of WMD

Title 18 U.S.C. §2332a defines weapons of mass destruction (WMD) as:

Any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas, including the following: a bomb; grenade; rocket having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than four ounces; missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce; mine; or device similar to any of the previously described devices;
Any weapons that is designed or intend to cause death or serious bodily injury through the release, dissemination, or impact of toxic or poisonous chemicals, or their precursors;
Any weapon involving a disease organism; and
Any weapon that is designed to release radiation or radioactivity at a level dangerous to human life.

https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/wmd
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 05:17:59 PM »
I stands corrected. Obviously, though, the USDA can be trusted with these things. They're the government, after all. They have top men working on this.