Author Topic: has there been a change in brady checks?  (Read 1583 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
has there been a change in brady checks?
« on: April 12, 2017, 10:10:39 AM »
 I was in an AZ pawn shop checking on how much I owe and noticed that they used a computer to run the brady for a guy
getting his gun back, it was "delayed" and the guy had left when the approval came in.
Later I was just browsing a gunshop I ran across and was chatting with the guy behind the counter, I asked him if it was like
NV, where if you call brady unit in the morning its faster than afternoon when they're swamped.
he said it has switched to a federal brady check and is done by computer only, that the entire country does it this way
and people with common last names often get delayed a few days.

I thought  brady checks were handled state to state, not in some central DC location, seems like a great way to fubar
gun sales without leglislation.

I hadn't heard of this before
gunstore myth or fact?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MikeB

• friend
Re: has there been a change in brady checks?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 10:17:41 AM »
Myth sort of. Depends on the State, so that part is definitely wrong. I know in PA the 'calls' go to PICS (PA Insta Check System). I do think PA may have an online method now vs. actual Phone call, maybe there is a Federal online one as well for those states that use the Federal system vs. their own.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 10:19:52 AM »
In Alabama  they do the 4473 over computer, or atleast have that option.   Also if you have a CCW  permit they can use that instead on the  4473.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 10:26:08 AM »
In WI handguns go to the WI DOJ call center, and long guns go to the national FBI NICS hotline.
I promise not to duck.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 10:53:58 AM »
In Alabama  they do the 4473 over computer, or atleast have that option.   Also if you have a CCW  permit they can use that instead on the  4473.

I've heard that the 4473 had gone electronic. In Az a CCW can replace the NICS check but I thought the 4473 was an FFL requirement and had to happen, regardless.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 11:07:21 AM »
I've heard that the 4473 had gone electronic. In Az a CCW can replace the NICS check but I thought the 4473 was an FFL requirement and had to happen, regardless.

The 4473 can be done on a computer but they still have to print out documents for signatures and then submit via computer or phone call, depending on the state for the NICS.

The 4473 on the computer is an option and sometimes not available.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 11:38:43 AM »
I was in an AZ pawn shop checking on how much I owe and noticed that they used a computer to run the brady for a guy
getting his gun back, it was "delayed" and the guy had left when the approval came in.
Later I was just browsing a gunshop I ran across and was chatting with the guy behind the counter, I asked him if it was like
NV, where if you call brady unit in the morning its faster than afternoon when they're swamped.
he said it has switched to a federal brady check and is done by computer only, that the entire country does it this way
and people with common last names often get delayed a few days.

I thought  brady checks were handled state to state, not in some central DC location, seems like a great way to fubar
gun sales without leglislation.

I hadn't heard of this before
gunstore myth or fact?

In Illinois, the mandate background check is a call to state police number, give the buyer's FOID, say if it's handgun or long gun, and get told.  There's a web site now for us lowly end users to use, since we're supposed to do it too now.  (Always were supposed to check.)

4473 last time I did one was the same old paper sheet.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 12:24:40 PM »
In Texas, I thought they called the national background check number.  We don't have our own state system.  I recall that Bass Pro Shops had me fill out the 4473 form on a computer, but I thought they still called it in when necessary.  I have had a CHL for a while now so it doesn't come up.  When I see people buying at the guns shows, everyone is filling out forms by hand and calling in the information. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 12:29:09 PM »
Earlier this year, I bought a Ruger Blackhawk at a LGS, and it was the first time I had bought a handgun at a LGS for probably three years or so.  I filled out the 4473 on a computer and then the LGS staff called a number, and I assume it was the national number for the instant check.  Washington recently changed state law to require a NICS background check for all firearms sales; it used to be you were exempt from the instant check if you had a CCW. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 12:54:16 PM »
Myth sort of. Depends on the State, so that part is definitely wrong. I know in PA the 'calls' go to PICS (PA Insta Check System). I do think PA may have an online method now vs. actual Phone call, maybe there is a Federal online one as well for those states that use the Federal system vs. their own.

Yes, PA calls go to PICS. In Connecticut, calls go to the CT State Police. Not all states use the federal NICS call center.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 02:40:47 PM »
I have used both in last few months, paper and computer. It seems to depend on the dealer and they still called in for the background check. (who they call not sure )

I also use my SSN on the form and never had issue with delays.   

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 02:53:55 PM »

PA is talking about saving money about getting rid of PICS and moving to NICS. I'm leery of that, I prefer not relying on NICS. Single points of failure are not good things.

To concur with AZtoy, putting on your SSN lessens the risk of the delay. But includes potential for identity theft.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 03:58:19 PM »
PA is talking about saving money about getting rid of PICS and moving to NICS. I'm leery of that, I prefer not relying on NICS. Single points of failure are not good things.

To concur with AZtoy, putting on your SSN lessens the risk of the delay. But includes potential for identity theft.

If delays are an issue due to your name being confused with someone else, the BATFE has provision to request your own, Unique Personal Identification Number (UPIN). I would suggest that anyone who feels tempted to use their social security number think seriously about applying for a UPIN instead.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 04:07:45 PM »
If delays are an issue due to your name being confused with someone else, the BATFE has provision to request your own, Unique Personal Identification Number (UPIN). I would suggest that anyone who feels tempted to use their social security number think seriously about applying for a UPIN instead.

Im a Junior

I know my biological father, with same name, had a criminal record. That's why i use my SSN.     

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 06:58:55 PM »
I get a delay sort of every single time. The first time I got the delay 20ish years ago it took like 3 weeks. Don't really have a record, never found out what that was about. Since then though they have to get an operator on the phone every time instead of the automated phone thing providing approval. I did find out there is someone with a very similar name and the same birth year that has been in a lot of trouble in my county and twoneighboring counties in PA. Don't know if that is related or not. Once the operator comes on they usually go through the eye, hair, race, etc. and then give the approval. It means I usually wait 30mins instead of 5. Only once since the original instance have I had to wait a day. Annoying, but I'm not sure if it's worth that NICS identifying number or if that even works in PA.

Never seemed to matter for my LTCF, that is always about 20 minute or so to get the new card from submitting paperwork. Seems to line up with what everyone in my county experiences; just did that last Friday actually. They use the same PICS for that; but I've never been able to overhear the conversation like I can at my local gun store. One of the best things about PA at least in my County; walk in, fill out paperwork and walk out with new LTCF. Takes less than an hour from parking to getting back to the car.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 07:07:04 PM »
For the last two pistols I bought, I still had to fill out the 4473 by hand but the check was done online.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 03:10:43 AM »
In Illinois, the mandate background check is a call to state police number, give the buyer's FOID, say if it's handgun or long gun, and get told.  There's a web site now for us lowly end users to use, since we're supposed to do it too now.  (Always were supposed to check.)

4473 last time I did one was the same old paper sheet.

Dealers can use an on-line system to check or can still call-in to the Illinois State Police (they do the check here, not through NICS, but I think they have access to big crime database that the Feds use).

Yep, still have to write out a 4473 and check the boxes.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 08:01:44 AM »
Last two firearms I bought, first one the 4473 was on a puter but they still printed off some papers to sign and they checked online.  Second one the computer version wasn't up so had to do it on paper but check was still done online.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!