Author Topic: Anyone heading to Maui? Be careful what you bring back.  (Read 1144 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Anyone heading to Maui? Be careful what you bring back.
« on: April 13, 2017, 12:10:00 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/04/12/california-newlyweds-contract-rat-lungworm-disease-on-hawaii-honeymoon.html
California newlyweds contract rat lungworm disease on Hawaii honeymoon

A California couple on their honeymoon in Hawaii contracted a brain- and spine-infecting parasite.

The disease affects the brain and spinal cord and is spread by a parasite that infects rats, which can pass larvae of the worm in their feces. Humans can acquire the dreaded disease by eating contaminated animals, including freshwater shrimp and land crabs.

Health officials in Hawaii are investigating at least four other possible cases.
Not something I would want to bring home from Hawaii.  Makes me wonder how they picked up the parasite.  Food or something else?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 12:50:55 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Anyone heading to Maui?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 12:39:17 PM »
Why aren't more Hawaiians having this issue?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Anyone heading to Maui?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 12:43:51 PM »
It's been in several states. CA has it too. We are having a snail epidemic with the rains, and that is one of the carriers (touching, not eating).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bscl

• friends
Re: Anyone heading to Maui? Be careful what you bring back.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 04:32:01 PM »
It's not very common, but does happen and can get nasty.  Here's local news coverage:  http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/35117821/warning-from-newlyweds-who-fell-ill-after-maui-wedding

Someone from the Department of Health or something recommended washing vegetables or fruit thoroughly before eating to wash the snails, slugs, or slime out.  Surprisingly he also mentioned that the popularity of organic food may put you at increased risk (I'm paraphrasing from memory) probably due to increased chance of having snails and slugs putting infected slime all over your salad greens. 
Life Member NRA, SAF