Author Topic: Cyanide mine kills dog, injuries boy in Idaho.  (Read 9084 times)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Cyanide mine kills dog, injuries boy in Idaho.
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2017, 05:19:15 PM »
Well, you're supposed to take great care in using pest control methods to avoid affecting non-target species.

I guess they didn't.

The real solution to avoiding non-target species is to use a fairly accurate rifle on coyotes and re-institute bounties for them.  But noooooo.  Gunses is baddyness, ick, poo, yuck.

At one point in time the State of Colorado offered a rather large bounty (for the time) for coyotes.  They seem to have stopped that, but the farm associations then offered the bounties privately.  Don't know what the present status is, haven't done any varmint hunting for decades.

Terry

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2017, 08:29:28 PM »
Aren't booby traps illegal on private property because you don't control when they're set off and you could injure/kill someone unjustifiably?

Different rules for the government of course  ;/ ;/ ;/

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2017, 09:52:42 PM »
At one point in time the State of Colorado offered a rather large bounty (for the time) for coyotes.  They seem to have stopped that, but the farm associations then offered the bounties privately.  Don't know what the present status is, haven't done any varmint hunting for decades.

I wish my state would put a bounty on coyotes -- or coydogs, or whatever it is we have around here. Coyotes are not native to this corner of the U.S., but they're here and they're becoming more of a nuisance every year.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2017, 10:26:03 PM »
We see coyotes trotting through the yard and around the neighborhood about once a week.  Two feet high at the shoulder, I estimate.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2017, 10:53:02 PM »
Have a ton of 'yotes around here but I am worried about them doing this with hogs.
Landowners can shoot on sight but we can not hunt them. They think if we can hunt them more people will turn them loose in the state.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2017, 11:26:27 PM »
Have a ton of 'yotes around here but I am worried about them doing this with hogs.
Landowners can shoot on sight but we can not hunt them. They think if we can hunt them more people will turn them loose in the state.

"Hunting opportunity" is in my opinion a significant contributor to the rise of feral hog problems in much of the US.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2017, 11:48:38 PM »
Used in my county for yote control. Just another reason to keep my dog close to home when I lived in a more rural part.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2017, 12:24:11 AM »
The controlled burns have multiple aspects. As in Mike's example, you have the "oh well" thing when the gov does it, but then you only have to look at the Malheur Wildlife Refuge occupation, which centered on the gov sending private individuals to jail for a controlled burn, which as  I recall, mostly went right.
[snip]
Whether controlled burns or trapping pests or what have you, common sense seems to be all too often lacking in the implementation. The point is that private individuals are generally punished for their carelessness while gov generally is not punished.

The local sheriff in the Idaho case IMHO should arrest some DoA supervisor.  Not sure the exact charges but it should be a felony; Reckless endangerment, or something. Handcuffs, perp walk, the whole deal.  When they protest and claim immunity, say something like "I'm just trying to keep you from getting lynched"  Say it loud enough to telegraph the idea to the locals.

If the boy had died instead of the dog, I think someone swinging from a lamppost would be quite appropriate if no other means of justice was available.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:29:35 AM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 10:15:25 AM »
That is horrific.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 10:48:41 AM »
It's OK when the government does it. They know what they're doing.

Like in New Mexico in 2000 when the forest service decided to do a controlled burn in the Los Alamos area.

In the middle of a drought.

And in high *expletive deleted*ing wind conditions.

About a dozen of my coworkers lost property, more than a few lost pretty much everything, including pets, when the "controlled" burn became the uncontrolled, 48,000 acre Cerro Grande fire.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2017, 11:11:59 AM »
It's OK when the government does it. They know what they're doing.

Like in New Mexico in 2000 when the forest service decided to do a controlled burn in the Los Alamos area.

In the middle of a drought.

And in high *expletive deleted*ing wind conditions.

About a dozen of my coworkers lost property, more than a few lost pretty much everything, including pets, when the "controlled" burn became the uncontrolled, 48,000 acre Cerro Grande fire.

The controlled burns have multiple aspects. As in Mike's example, you have the "oh well" thing when the gov does it, but then you only have to look at the Malheur Wildlife Refuge occupation, which centered on the gov sending private individuals to jail for a controlled burn, which as  I recall, mostly went right.

Then on the other side, NOT doing controlled burns, you end up with California. We've had year long fire seasons for several years not only because of the drought, but because the econazis kept suing to stop controlled burns. Combustible vegetation got so out of hand that natural fires (or even arson) that might have been contained early, become spectacular blazes that can't be stopped.

Whether controlled burns or trapping pests or what have you, common sense seems to be all too often lacking in the implementation. The point is that private individuals are generally punished for their carelessness while gov generally is not punished.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 11:15:10 AM »
There've been a couple of controlled burns around here which weren't.  Some less worse than others.

What bothers me is:

1.  Farmers who get an ag burn permit and then figure, "Wul hell, I gots me a burn permit, so nothing can happen if I just burn them weeds under them pine trees. I gotta piece of paper which says it's OK."  As if the permit itself prevented forest fires.

2. Citified folks who just toss cigarette butts into the forest litter as if the whole world is surfaced with concrete and asphalt.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2017, 11:51:32 AM »
What in the actual *expletive deleted*ing *expletive deleted*ck?

We have to stop asking if they can get more stupid. Because the dumb shits are taking it as a challenge apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2017, 11:52:18 AM »
What's number 3?

Stealth controlled burns by UN agents?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2017, 11:57:13 AM »
And often private homeowners are prevented from clearing space around their home as a fire break. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2017, 12:01:57 PM »
We see coyotes trotting through the yard and around the neighborhood about once a week.  Two feet high at the shoulder, I estimate.
Well, now you know who to call to get some help.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2017, 01:00:51 PM »
Well, now you know who to call to get some help.   =D

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2017, 02:37:20 PM »

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2017, 03:19:44 PM »
It is because of this:

Nice outfit, I see you opted for neither the tie or bow tie.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2017, 03:28:50 PM »
Nice outfit, I see you opted for neither the tie or bow tie.

:laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2017, 03:53:20 PM »
I have to ask, because I'm not about to do the requisite search, is that a brony or has Rainbow Brite gotten a deviant following as well?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2017, 04:11:24 PM »
I have to ask, because I'm not about to do the requisite search, is that a brony or has Rainbow Brite gotten a deviant following as well?

When I did a Google image search for 'my little pony cosplay male', that was one of the images that came up.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2017, 05:26:11 PM »
When I did a Google image search for 'my little pony cosplay male'
... as one does.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2017, 10:48:58 PM »

As far as I know, Rainbow Brite has been regulated to sexy Halloween costumes for the ladies.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2017, 11:31:52 PM »
I think there would be a rash of random deaths at .Gov agency related to the death of my kid or dog.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods