Author Topic: "Honest" reporters, sports memorabilia, and federal prosecution  (Read 1558 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Missing Superbowl Jersey(s) found in Mexico, games 51 and 49.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/03/20/tom-bradys-super-bowl-jersey-reportedly-found.html

I foresee a member of the international journalistic community getting their U.S. visa yanked at the very least. May well end up including prison time if they ever set foot in the United States again.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: "Honest" reporters, sports memorabilia, and federal prosecution
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 11:39:28 AM »
Maybe it's appropriate, given the 1/2-million $ collector's value, but it just seems really odd that FBI agents are tracking down a stolen shirt for a multi-millionaire.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 11:57:51 AM »
Maybe it's appropriate, given the 1/2-million $ collector's value, but it just seems really odd that FBI agents are tracking down a stolen shirt for a multi-millionaire.
What, if someone lifted YOUR shirt, you think they wouldn't make a Federal case out of it?

:rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 12:00:21 PM »

This.  Seems to be a "crime" that should be handled by local police at best, and preferably by NFL (A non-profit organization) Security.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 12:28:44 PM »
This.  Seems to be a "crime" that should be handled by local police at best, and preferably by NFL (A non-profit organization) Security.

Item value and the crossing of not only domestic state lines but also an international border make it a federal matter. Market value is market value. Being sports memorabilia makes it no less a crime than if it was a half million in gold.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 12:45:06 PM »
But but but butbutbutbut...

Cheater from a cheating team! He should be giving his jerseys away in penance!

Cheaty McCheaterface!

Yep, it's a Federal matter. The law is pretty clear on that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 01:26:18 PM »
Item value and the crossing of not only domestic state lines but also an international border make it a federal matter. Market value is market value. Being sports memorabilia makes it no less a crime than if it was a half million in gold.

Brad

Market value is what someone is willing to pay for it.  Considering that the items were never put up for sale as far as I'm concerned those jerseys aren't worth anymore than the same jerseys you and I can buy.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 02:04:19 PM »
Market value is what someone is willing to pay for it.  Considering that the items were never put up for sale as far as I'm concerned those jerseys aren't worth anymore than the same jerseys you and I can buy.

Using that logic your home is worth nothing until a transaction is made, running under the presumption that no precedent or comparable property exists to be used as a guide. Not so. Sales of comparable properties exist, making estimates of market value reasonably easy and accurate. The sports memorabilia market is large and well established, even more so than home sales in many respects. Estimates of market value from comparable item sales and market trends is established practice even to the point of being used for legal matters.

Brad
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 02:08:45 PM »
But but but butbutbutbut...

Cheater from a cheating team! He should be giving his jerseys away in penance!

Cheaty McCheaterface!

More importantly, he's Deplorable.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 02:09:57 PM »
Cheater from a cheating team!

And a straight, white Christian male, at that.  

Using that logic your home is worth nothing until a transaction is made, running under the presumption that no precedent or comparable property exists to be used as a guide. Not so. Sales of comparable properties exist, making estimates of market value reasonably easy and accurate. The sports memorabilia market is large and well established, even more so than home sales in many respects. Estimates of market value from comparable item sales and market trends is established practice even to the point of being used for legal matters.

This.  Really no different from its equivalent value in krugerrands...except that the jersey's value is likely to continue to increase substantially.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 02:37:03 PM »

Sorry, that's not how it works at all.

The value of the jersey in question is set in relation to similar jerseys -- those worn in Superbowls by the game winning quarterback -- not the mass produced jerseys that anyone can buy.

Just because none of us find it to be particularly valuable doesn't mean that it is, and that it won't command the kind of prices that are attributed to it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 03:11:23 PM »
I just feel sorry for poor Tom Brady - walkin' around all half-naked, without no shirt. =(

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 04:21:44 PM »
The NFL issued the following statement regarding the investigation, saying Brady’s Super Bowl XLIX jersey was also found. They were both found in the possession of a credentialed member of the international media.
So what else was found?  I didn't see that anything else was mentioned.  Deflated football?  Mis-calibrated pressure gauge?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge