Author Topic: knife steels  (Read 1240 times)

zahc

• friend
knife steels
« on: March 28, 2017, 07:55:31 PM »
or whatever they call those metal sticks people use on kitchen knives.

My wife decided to take up "real" cooking and now I have to use the Sharpmaker every week or two. I have never used one of those steels. Is one just as good as another?

like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001N0ULJG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490745403&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=knife+steel
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: knife steels
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 08:41:53 PM »
Honestly, I use a ceramic stick "sharpener" I bought at a gun show back in 1993, not the steel that came with my knife set.  Beats up my knives less.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 08:45:36 PM »
I had no luck using the steel that came with my wife's knife set, so I began to use my Sharpmaker.  The knives have never been sharper.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 08:49:44 PM »
Now I'm reading that modern stainless steels don't work with the sharpening sticks the way carbon steels did.

Is it even possible to but nice low-alloy carbon steel knives nowadays? You know the kind that turn dark grey over time and are super sharpenable?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 09:39:34 PM »

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 10:35:38 PM »
That'll work. Trips style might work a bit better.

Keep in mind the purpose of a steel isn't to sharpen, it's to realign the edge. As you use the knife the cutting edge gets dents dings and tiny little folds in it. It's still plenty sharp, the sharp part is just laid over. A steel brings everything g back into alignment.

A steel should get used pretty much every time the knife gets picked up for a cooking session. Hell depending what you're doing and for how long it may well be used multiple times.

Really outside of a professional kitchen a knife likely won't need actually sharpening more than once maybe twice a year u less it's being treated in shameful and unspeakable ways. Even my beater knives that go in the dishwasher don't get sharpened more than that. Using something that actually removes metal every couple of weeks is just shortening a knifes life for no real reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 11:04:49 PM »
Swapmeets, yard sales & 2nd hand shops like St Vincent or Goodwill are great places to pick up old knives. Older (sharpening ) steels are better than new. The edges are worn down & you get some of the benefits of regular cut & some of the benefits of polished.
I'm always looking for old carbon steel knives & don't usually pay more than a dollar or two. WE even have a knife shop around here that has a great selection of used knives. I pay a little more than swapmeets but I've found good deals.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 12:13:35 AM »
Now I'm reading that modern stainless steels don't work with the sharpening sticks the way carbon steels did.

Is it even possible to but nice low-alloy carbon steel knives nowadays? You know the kind that turn dark grey over time and are super sharpenable?

I found a set of carbon steel kitchen knives at Cabela's that I got for that very reason. They take a little extra care, but are really easy to sharpen. Easy to keep sharp with the steel as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 12:24:18 AM »
Most of my kitchen knifes are old Chicago cutlery high carbon with the walnut handles. They came with a steel but I like the little butterfly with the ceramic sticks that came with a knife I got from Europe years ago not sure where that knife went but it was always sharp.

The bottom of a ceramic coffee cup works in a pinch.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG