Author Topic: Printer dilemma  (Read 5603 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Printer dilemma
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2017, 02:05:36 PM »
Looking at two choices from Staples -- which would the computer gurus recommend? Remember, I'm not a techno-nerd.

http://www.staples.com/Dell-E525W-Color-Laser-All-in-One-Printer-New/product_1667711

or

http://www.staples.com/Canon-Color-ImageCLASS-MF628CW-Laser-Printer-New/product_1807525

Obviously, the price of the Dell is attractive, but it seems to have a fairly high number of really negative reviews.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 04:36:15 PM »
My experience from work is that Dell is attempting to do with toner what the rest of the companies have done with ink.  Expect to pay a lot more for refills(check prices and size first!) but the whole 'doesn't dry out' makes it not so bad if you don't print much.

Looking at those toner cartridges, I can see that they don't include the drum, like most toner cartridges do for smaller machines.

Think of the toner as oil and the drum as the oil filter.  Both are consumable items, though it's generally true that the drum outlasts the toner.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&sku=210-AEDL&redirect=1

Looks like they used a non-replacable drum/fuser unit in this model.  So if the drum goes, so doesn't your printer.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 04:43:10 PM »
Of the two, I'd probably lean towards the Canon. I used Canon inkjets exclusively (still have a large format photo printer) and was very happy with the quality. I was going to go Canon for my laser, but I needed duplex scanning and copying, and Canon only had higher end business MFCs for that (like in the $1000 range), so went with the Brother. You should check Canon toner prices though -  I don't know if they are higher than Brother, HP, etc. If outrageously high, you might want to wait for a sale on an HP or Brother.

Also, don't confine yourself to Staples. Look at Office Depot, Best Buy, etc. They were all outdoing Amazon when I was buying. For the printers on sale, anyway.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 06:52:36 PM »
Also, don't confine yourself to Staples. Look at Office Depot, Best Buy, etc. They were all outdoing Amazon when I was buying. For the printers on sale, anyway.

I'd check newegg out as well.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2017, 10:52:14 PM »
It may cost me a few bucks extra, but I want to buy from a company with nearby, bricks-and-mortar stores so I can take it in for service if there are problems. We have Staples and Best Buy around here. Never had Office Depot that I can recall -- we had Office Max, but they closed all their stores (at least in this corner of the universe) several years ago. So I'm skipping Amazon, and no to Newegg, as well.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 12:03:30 AM by Hawkmoon »

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2017, 11:13:44 PM »
It may cost me a few bucks extra, but I want to buy from a company with nearby, bricks-and-mortar stores so I can take it in for service if there are problems.

I'm not aware of any brick and mortar stores that can actually "service" a printer if there's a problem with it today.  The solution these days, for something valued at a couple hundred or so, would be to simply exchange it.  Which they will only do during their standard return period, maybe.

Otherwise they're going to tell you to contact the manufacturer to use their warranty.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2017, 05:25:05 PM »
I'd check newegg out as well.

Newegg is good so long as you only buy products marked with "Sold and Shipped by Newegg" on the product page. I know multiple people that have been screwed-over by Newegg Marketplace sellers, and Newegg basically told them "sorry, nothing we will can do."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2017, 07:11:38 AM »
You can also frequently get excellent deals at Tigerdirect.com
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2017, 08:32:07 AM »
You can also frequently get excellent deals at Tigerdirect.com

Tigerdirect falls in my "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me" category.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2017, 08:52:11 AM »
Tigerdirect falls in my "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me" category.

That's odd, Tigerdirect falls directly into my "bought various items from them nearly a dozen times over the past 10 or so years and have gotten exactly what I ordered, gotten it when they said I would get it, and gotten it for excellent prices" category.

I think the last time I ordered from them was last June or July. Got my crap with no muss or fuss.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2017, 11:07:17 AM »
I'm jinxed that way. A lot of people in my Jeep club (and on-line) have had good results buying from Rock Auto. When I tried them ... they sent me parts that didn't fit my Jeep or match the description on their web site, double charged me for shipping, and when I contacted them to point out that the parts they sent didn't fit the vehicle they basically wrote back, "*expletive deleted*ck you, we have your money."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2017, 11:18:24 AM »
Well, I really can't blame them.

After all, they had to deal with you...  :rofl:

I recently had a similar problem ordering a coat online. It was described as a parka. Parka has some very specific meanings attached to it, as in insulated to some degree to be able to deal with cold weather.

Well, this thing was not a parka, it was barely even a windbreaker.

I blew my stack, returned it, made a very strong complaint about having to pay shipping BOTH ways because their description was so flawed as to be the next thing to an out and out lie.

Got pretty much the same response.

So now it's my mission to make sure that people know that their product descriptions simply cannot be trusted, and that if you buy based on a lie, you're still going to be out a good chunk of money.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2017, 12:43:54 PM »
I'm jinxed that way. A lot of people in my Jeep club (and on-line) have had good results buying from Rock Auto. When I tried them ... they sent me parts that didn't fit my Jeep or match the description on their web site, double charged me for shipping, and when I contacted them to point out that the parts they sent didn't fit the vehicle they basically wrote back, "*expletive deleted*ck you, we have your money."

That's when you dispute the charge with your credit card company, so, "*expletive deleted*ck you, you don't have my money"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2017, 03:56:36 PM »
I should have gone that route but decided against it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2017, 05:49:40 PM »
I had to make a decision, so I went with the Canon from Staples. 3-year full-replacement warranty added only $39 to the price. If it doesn't break within three years, it'll never break.

http://www.staples.com/Canon-Color-ImageCLASS-MF628CW-Laser-Printer-New/product_1807525

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2017, 06:24:02 PM »
I had to make a decision, so I went with the Canon from Staples. 3-year full-replacement warranty added only $39 to the price. If it doesn't break within three years, it'll never break.

[img]http://www.staples-3p.com/s7/is/image/Staples/s0985061_sc7?$splssku$

If you buy your toner from Staples, be aware they will price match Amazon.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2017, 07:45:32 PM »
I wasn't aware of that. Thank you very much, Sir!

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2017, 08:32:08 PM »

Excellent choice, I think.