Author Topic: GOP pulls bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act  (Read 4234 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
GOP pulls bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act
« on: March 24, 2017, 04:05:18 PM »
Speaker Ryan pulled the bill from the House, presumably due to not enough votes to pass it.  Now what?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: GOP pulls bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 04:16:21 PM »
Reboot.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 04:29:28 PM »
Well since a bunch of R's ran on the premise of repealing O-care they better get something done in the next year or so, otherwise it could be very ugly for them and us come 2018.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 04:30:11 PM »
Perhaps they can pass Rand Paul's bill ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 04:30:51 PM »
Senator Lee said that the parliamentarian suggested that more of Obamacare could be repealed by reconciliation than in this bill.

Why not do that?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 04:39:42 PM »
Senator Lee said that the parliamentarian suggested that more of Obamacare could be repealed by reconciliation than in this bill.

Why not do that?

Because the RINO leadership really does not want to repeal ObamaCare.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 04:44:05 PM »
Perhaps they can pass Rand Paul's bill ??

That makes too much sense.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 04:48:20 PM »
Trump has stated if it didn't pass he was done for the year, leaving Ocare in place, and he would be moving on to tax cuts. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 04:58:55 PM »
My understanding is getting this passed made the planned tax cuts easier - the reduced medicaid spending helped balance things out. Not sure how linked they really are though.

I still don't understand why H.R. 3762 wasn't the starting point - they already passed it!
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 07:48:03 PM »
We need someone to help the Repubs learn to work and play better with each other........
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 08:53:03 PM »
Trump has stated if it didn't pass he was done for the year, leaving Ocare in place, and he would be moving on to tax cuts. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

As we have just witnessed, Congress doesn't necessarily listen to what Trump wants to do.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 09:45:30 PM »
What bothers me about this whole thing is it has shown how fragmented Congress actually is. A coalition for this a coalition for that and each one wanting their own little (or big) slice of the pie. If anyone ever thought that these people were acting in the best interest of the country I hope they have now had a reality check and realize they are mostly in it for themselves IMO.

I would have forced the vote, that way there would have been a hard record of those who did not vote for the bill and those that did. With them going home for a week or so maybe the ones who voted no could catch some grief from the people they represent, esp if from a Trump supporting area.

bob

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 10:19:12 PM »
Because the RINO leadership really does not want to repeal ObamaCare.
Bingo.

They were willing to vote to repeal Obamacare - repeatedly! - when Obama was in office, KNOWING the repeal wouldn't become law.

Now - when a passed repeal WILL become law - they think "Oh, crap, we really don't want this! How can we screw things up to prevent passage?"

Expletive.

Expletive.

String of expletives.

Come 2018, I hope a LOT of the RINOs get primaried. (By decent candidates, not lunatics.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 01:01:15 PM »
the statist bureaucrats love their power, the radlibs think this will bring "single payer"  which I think means
socialized medicine ( honestly I do not even know )...
I have a lot of stupid old friends I keep up with on facebook, they're celebrating.
I'm pretty bummed out, it means more fines and less jobs- more part time jobs - as if running from one job to another gives you more time or money?
maybe it is time to join libertarians or constitution, I've got to wonder if we can fix the gun issue with this crowd.
social media is overwhelmingly liberal and has ruined the effectiveness of the gun forums.
is trump a manchurian candidate after all?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 08:28:01 PM »
An interesting perspective ...  :old:

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2017/03/25/healthcare-controls-and-the-benefits-of-the-blame-game/

In the final hours prior to the healthcare debacle, the billionaire Koch Brothers sent a warning to the House Freedom Caucus that they’d better hold the line and kill the ObamaCare repeal or replacement bill, or else.
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 07:48:10 AM »
It was a bad bill, it deserved to be killed. Hopefully they will go back and write a better one or just you know repeal ACA in its entirety then write a better bill.

As for Trump, it really doesn't matter wht he says. Presidents don't pass laws, the legislature does. They can write a new bill with or without him and put it one his desk to sign or Veto with or without his support or permission.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 09:11:56 AM »
It was a bad bill, it deserved to be killed.

This.  In spades.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2017, 10:05:13 AM »
It was a bad bill, it deserved to be killed. Hopefully they will go back and write a better one or just you know repeal ACA in its entirety then write a better bill.

I think there's too big of a "repeal AND replace" faction to do that.  I'm half a foot in their camp in that I don't want the disruption of TWO major reforms, so I want the replacement in place with the repeal.

Or, to be honest, keep the few good bits and just pass a reform on top of the reform.

As for Trump, it really doesn't matter wht he says. Presidents don't pass laws, the legislature does. They can write a new bill with or without him and put it one his desk to sign or Veto with or without his support or permission.

Bingo.  I haven't read a single article mentioning Trump or his cabinet being consulted on the replacement, introducing any parts to the replacement, nothing.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 10:21:20 AM »
I'm not getting the "Replace" part of the argument.  Why does it need to be replaced with anything ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2017, 11:01:26 AM »
I'm not getting the "Replace" part of the argument.  Why does it need to be replaced with anything ??

It doesn't, but the big-government people want more government.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 11:21:43 AM »
What bothers me about this whole thing is it has shown how fragmented Congress actually is. A coalition for this a coalition for that...

As Rush pointed out the other day, the Republicans have the Freedom Caucus, Tea Party (not official), and a bunch of other groups. The Democrat Party has the Black Democrat Caucus, and that's it. When it comes to legislation, every Democrat walks in lockstep, and never breaks ranks. That's why they can push through something as radical as Obamacare, and Republicans can't even settle on a revamp that's a compromise.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2017, 11:40:14 AM »
Diversity of opinion is usually perceived to be a good thing, yet the media portray it as failure in a political context.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 12:00:55 PM »
For once I agree with the New York Times and Maureen Dowd:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/25/opinion/sunday/donald-this-i-will-tell-you.html

You sold yourself as the businessman who could shake things up and make Washington work again. Instead, you got worked over by the Republican leadership and the business community, who set you up to do their bidding.

You got played.

Trump needs to (a) understand that Paul Ryan is the enemy; and (b) get rid of Bannon.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 07:05:48 PM »

To be perfectly honest, a lot of people managed to get healthcare under Obamacare that previously didn't, and all the scarey literature out there has them as losing their healthcare if Obamacare is simply repealed, which most of them won't like, and people are saying would cause them to vote democrat.

So it's a lot like touching social security.  Threaten to take away people's retirement check and they get pissed.

As for me, here's my thoughts:
1.  The state of healthcare BEFORE Obamacare was equally unacceptable as Obamacare, just in different ways.
2.  The situation between different systems (Pre-Obama, Obama, theoretical Republican Replacement) are each different enough to have substantial market distortions.  I'd like to avoid too many market distortions.

Personally, keeping in mind that I'm not a lawyer, and there are better ways to state this:
1.  Require healthcare providers to provide estimates and price sheets.
2.  Pass legislation that encourages charging by illness/syndrome, rather than by procedure.
3.  Procedures that fail cannot be charged for.  (insert legaleze defining failure)
4.  Healthcare savings accounts for everybody.  Possibly as modifications to IRAs. 
5.  Find some way to toss some initial money into said savings accounts for young adults. 
6.  Really reform the USDA. 
7.  Health insurance can be sold across state lines
8.  People are allowed to buy drugs from overseas.  Encourage formation of a watchdog company that makes sure what people are ordering is what they're actually getting.
9.  Allow government organizations tasked with buying drugs for various reasons to actually negotiate the prices they pay for said drugs.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 07:44:38 PM by Firethorn »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 07:14:55 PM »
Here's one: Open up GEHA to all US citizens at the government rate.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."