Author Topic: Great Fake News Example  (Read 1282 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Great Fake News Example
« on: March 26, 2017, 08:44:02 PM »
I thought this was a great example of persistent fake news:

So United prevents some girls from boarding a flight because they were wearing leggings and they were deemed not appropriately dressed. Pinhead Shannon Watts is there to see it and starts tweeting about United discriminating against women. Okay, fair enough initially, because I've seen lots of women with leggings on flights, and certainly seen both men and women dressed way less appropriately.

However, United caught wind of the incident almost immediately and responded that the girls were flying for free under the employee program and that the program has a dress code, which prohibits leggings. They clearly stated that they don't prevent paying customers from wearing them.

Even after this announcement, which is showing up everywhere, including them responding to the original troublemaker, Watts, celebrities and others are still pushing the "discrimination" story, often not mentioning at all that they were employee tickets, or in the case of the Washington Post, going on a biased run (biased against United) for like 90% of the story, then near the end having a line about the girls using the employee program.

Anyway, thought it was a good example about how fake news just keeps on going because of Twitter and the like. Not to mention things like the WaPo's crappy reporting.

http://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/03/26/sarah-silverman-andy-richter-and-other-celebrities-are-still-crapping-on-united-over-leggingsgate/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Re: Great Fake News Example
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 10:07:10 PM »
I'd term that more slightly incorrect news rather than the fake news we're hearing about now.  The initial reports weren't intentionally misleading anybody, they were just missing some key information that wasn't obvious to a casual observer.  A rather understandable mistake.

FAKE news is stuff like this:  http://prntly.com/2017/03/20/george-soros-admits-he-helped-his-mother-commit-suicide-wants-americans-to-embrace-death/  Actual headline: "GEORGE SOROS ADMITS HE HELPED HIS MOTHER COMMIT SUICIDE, WANTS AMERICANS TO ‘EMBRACE DEATH’" and basically nothing in the article really backs the headline up.  They cite a speech from 1994 by Soros where he never says he helped his mother die, his mother didn't commit suicide, and she died naturally.  That's fake news.... and it's also a website Trump has said he gets his news from.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 11:36:56 PM »
If there is anything fake about it, it has to do with reporters running stories and headlines based on very little and making no effort to get the whole story.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 12:18:33 AM »
If there is anything fake about it, it has to do with reporters running stories and headlines based on very little and making no effort to get the whole story.

I guess that's what I was getting at. We more and more have front page stories based on nothing more than a couple of bits of unverified and unresearched information. There seems to, these days, be less and less effort or interest in correcting facts when verifiable information is made available.

I certainly admit to jumping the gun on something more than once in the last year based on what turns out to be wrong or incomplete information frantically released by the MSM. I don't recall it being that bad in years past. Nowadays I have to keep trying to train myself to search multiple sources and/or wait 24-72 hours for when the actual truth comes out.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 12:53:19 AM »
Goebbels.

Even though a journalist may backtrack, it is repeated often, hence becomes the truth.

Ben said, "Nowadays I have to keep trying to train myself to search multiple sources and/or wait 24-72 hours for when the actual truth comes out."

A good policy.  We should repeat it often.  

"I certainly admit to jumping the gun on something more than once"

(And mea culpa too.)

Terry

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 08:56:01 AM »
And this is the way the story should have been written - stating the facts immediately:

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/03/27/united-airlines-under-fire-for-barring-teens-from-flight-who-were-wearing-leggings.html

If the MSM and other outlets hadn't taken their information from Shannon Watt's twitter feed without further investigation, it would have been a non-story.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 09:32:25 AM »
I've been denied boarding on flights because of what I was wearing.  Most airlines have relaxed their dress code policies for non-revs these days, but they used to be pretty tough.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 09:44:53 AM »
And this is the way the story should have been written - stating the facts immediately:

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/03/27/united-airlines-under-fire-for-barring-teens-from-flight-who-were-wearing-leggings.html

If the MSM and other outlets hadn't taken their information from Shannon Watt's twitter feed without further investigation, it would have been a non-story.

I love this line:

Watts said the girl's father was allowed to board while wearing shorts and called the airline's policy sexist.

Ah, yes. Throw out a non sequitur. Well, HE was wearing SHORTS!!! And he could get on.

Yeah, lady. It would be sexist if he could wear shorts and they couldn't. I'm fairly certain that if they were wearing shorts, they'd have been on the plane and if he were wearing tights, he wouldn't have been. Sexist isn't: "he can wear comfy clothes that he wants to wear and they can't!!!" They could have worn the same comfortable clothes and been fine.

Our country is populated by selfish, self-entitled, narcissistic, grievance-mongering morons.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 09:49:13 AM »
The alt-media is mostly just an outrage generation machine.  Any story that stirs outrage in the social media world is what leads. ....rabble rabble OUTRAGE!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 11:06:10 AM »
Mark Twain told us that there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. I guess the modern, media equivalent is that there are three kinds of news: facts (news), lies (fake news), and alt facts.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 11:29:30 AM »
I don't mind statistics so much, but you have to pay careful attention to what is being represented by the statistic and what is not.  IMO, you have to do that with all media and politicians these days anyway.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 02:01:18 AM »
Here's another one for you, from jpfo.org

http://jpfo.org/alerts2017/alert20170328.htm

"NY Times Anti-Silencer Article Uses Argument Debunked by Washington Post"

The New York Times is once again wrong on the facts about firearms, silencers, and the impact of potential legislation on “gun violence.” They are disseminating the very definition of “fake news” that they claim to despise, yet have no issue with that because it advances their own agenda.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 10:59:48 AM »
I've been denied boarding on flights because of what I was wearing.  Most airlines have relaxed their dress code policies for non-revs these days, but they used to be pretty tough.

When I worked for Airborne Express we were required (by Airborne) to wear a suit and tie if traveling as supercargo on our own planes or any of the airlines that gave us reduced fare tickets.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.