Author Topic: WaPo at it again  (Read 3382 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
WaPo at it again
« on: March 27, 2017, 01:05:31 AM »
Article announces a new role for Jared Kushner in the Trump administration.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-taps-kushner-to-lead-a-swat-team-to-fix-government-with-business-ideas/2017/03/26/9714a8b6-1254-11e7-ada0-1489b735b3a3_story.html?utm_term=.d91d75c35c7d

The White House Office of American Innovation, to be led by Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law and senior adviser, will operate as its own nimble power center within the West Wing and will report directly to Trump. Viewed internally as a SWAT team of strategic consultants, the office will be staffed by former business executives and is designed to infuse fresh thinking into Washington, float above the daily political grind and create a lasting legacy for a president still searching for signature achievements.

"A president still searching for signature achievements"? Time out -- the inauguration was January 20. That was just two months and one week ago, the guy hasn't even had his first 100 days and already the WaPo is portraying him as "searching for signature achievements"? How many presidents have managed to accomplish "signature achievements" within their first two months in office ... and how many of those who did not have been called out on their lack of achievement by the Washington Post?

I pity Donald Trump. He's fighting the Democrats, the Republicans, the media, and G-d only knows who else. Small wonder he's using his family as senior advisors -- he can't trust anybody else.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: WaPo at it again
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 02:17:25 AM »
I pity Donald Trump. He's fighting the Democrats, the Republicans, the media, and G-d only knows who else. Small wonder he's using his family as senior advisors -- he can't trust anybody else.

I'm thinking the same way.  It's a tough job, but it seems like there's no "loyal opposition," just a bunch of hysterical lockstep obstructionists.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 09:09:35 AM »

I think he's loving where he's at. I don't know the guy, and my opinion's worth what you pay for it, but he seems to enjoy fighting.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 11:13:07 AM »

I think he's loving where he's at. I don't know the guy, and my opinion's worth what you pay for it, but he seems to enjoy fighting.

But I don't think he enjoys losing.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 11:50:10 AM »
I'm sure he's lost before, and he knows that's the cost of playing the game. He's what, ~70? He's a big boy.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 02:33:48 PM »
Boy oh boy.  Trump has an opportunity right now to shake up everything if he wants to.  All he has to do is align himself with the Freedom Caucus. [popcorn]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 05:44:12 PM »
Boy oh boy.  Trump has an opportunity right now to shake up everything if he wants to.  All he has to do is align himself with the Freedom Caucus. [popcorn]

Nah; join BLM and watch the liberals abandon it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 05:52:10 PM »
But I don't think he enjoys losing.
Regroup and attack again.  Possibly in a different direction.  Based on the campaign, he usually doesn't allow a setback to stop him.  He just keeps rolling.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 12:44:34 AM »
Nah; join BLM and watch the liberals abandon it.

Thread win nomination.

Worth more than just a  :rofl: smiley.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 09:19:58 AM »
I still want to know why you all hate the Bureau of Land Management so much...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 07:54:41 PM »
I still want to know why you all hate the Bureau of Land Management so much...

I still hit that mental bump every time I see BLM.  Too set in my ways, huh, Mike?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 07:59:00 PM »
I still hit that mental bump every time I see BLM.  Too set in my ways, huh, Mike?

Is that a western thing? I don't remember hearing about the Bureau of Land Mgmt until the whole Bundy thing. Or is it because none of my family are in farming anymore?

230RN

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 08:57:42 PM »
Well, here in CO, vast areas suitable for shootin' are under Bureau of Land Management control, so vast numbers of outdoorsey-types are familiar with the term, but who sometimes use it indiscriminately, meaning any "gubmint land."  Don't know about MO.

Maybe we should use the acronym "BOLM to differentiate the two orgs, but that would lend legitimacy to the current BLM movement.

In general, though, it's clear from context which is meant.  If I say I went shootin' on the BLM ground east of Fort Collins...   :O

But I still hit that mental bump the first time I see BLM in a thread, since I and others have been using it to mean "gubmint land" for over fifty years.

Terry

REF ("BLM ground east of Fort Collins"):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pawnee_National_Grassland

I gotta laugh when they say, "These soils develop in semiarid climates with 15 to 20 inches (38 to 51 cm) of rain annually" because it all occurs in five minutes.  Hence the term "gully washer."
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:34:29 PM by 230RN »

zahc

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 09:01:23 PM »
BLM is also infamous among off roaders. That's how I know about them.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 10:12:13 PM »
BLM is also infamous among off roaders. That's how I know about them.

Yes, and they are misnamed. It should be the BLMM -- Bureau of Land MisManagement.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 09:08:21 AM »
One thing I hope for in President Trump's second year would be for him to start backtracking on all the redesignations of large areas of land to "National Monuments" and "Primitive Areas" where shooting is prohibited.

Over the decades, possibly starting with Clinton's administration, I've "paranoidically" seen this constant reclassification of lands to non-shooting, non-hairy-assed recreational pursuits as back-door choke points for shooting (and other manly) pursuits.

I may edit that^ statement because I don't think I put it clearly or forcefully enough before my coffee's ready.

I don't mean to imply that nature photography, bird-watching and "100% purity hiking" are un-manly, but they seem to be encouraged over things like the shooting (and off-roading) hairy-assed sports.

Well, as far as I know, at least they haven't stopped antelope hunting on my beloved Grasslands.

But President Trump's got enough on his plate right now, dealing with all the BS from whacko left-wing buttholes...

Heh.  Hey, Donald Trump Jr., you reading this, perchance?

Heh. :D

Terry, 230RN

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 09:24:42 AM »
One thing I hope for in President Trump's second year would be for him to start backtracking on all the redesignations of large areas of land to "National Monuments" and "Primitive Areas" where shooting is prohibited.

Over the decades, possibly starting with Clinton's administration, I've "paranoidically" seen this constant reclassification of lands to non-shooting, non-hairy-assed recreational pursuits as back-door choke points for shooting (and other manly) pursuits.

I may edit that^ statement because I don't think I put it clearly or forcefully enough before my coffee's ready.

I don't mean to imply that nature photography, bird-watching and "100% purity hiking" are un-manly, but they seem to be encouraged over things like the shooting (and off-roading) hairy-assed sports.

Well, as far as I know, at least they haven't stopped antelope hunting on my beloved Grasslands.

But President Trump's got enough on his plate right now, dealing with all the BS from whacko left-wing buttholes...

Heh.  Hey, Donald Trump Jr., you reading this, perchance?

Heh. :D

Terry, 230RN

This is already happening. The DOI secretary has already stated he plans on opening more areas to hunting, fishing, and other access. I'm only hoping the Ag secretary is of the same mindset.

Fistful - yes, the real BLM is well known throughout the West. Years ago, they had a much better reputation. They were often way more liberal on use than was (is) the National Forest Service. Especially for recreational shooting, offroading, recreational mining, etc.

From my perspective, both BLM and NSF starting getting anti-fun during Clinton. He actually wasn't too bad, but did start the increase in National Monuments trend. Bush did nothing to reverse it. Obama was practically an environmental gangster, destroying fun wherever he found it. I only hope Trump's cabinet continues their current, sane trend.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 09:35:30 AM »

In general, though, it's clear from context which is meant.  If I say I went shootin' on the BLM ground east of Fort Collins...   :O

I dunno if the context is always so clear.  Lots of folks go shootin' on the BLM ground south of Chicago.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 09:43:20 AM »
Obama was practically an environmental gangster, destroying fun wherever he found it.

Likeylikeylikey. Truthytruthytruthy.

I dunno if the context is always so clear.  Lots of folks go shootin' on the BLM ground south of Chicago.

Gee, that's exactly the implication I wanted to avoid.  >:D

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:43:05 AM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 11:01:57 AM »
Likeylikeylikey. Truthytruthytruthy.

Slight veer from the current veer, but yesterday when they were talking about evil Trump rolling back coal and other environmental regulations, what he was doing was put in perspective on a business news show I was watching (numbers may be slightly misremembered):

In the twenty years of Bush, Clinton (Clinton mind you!) and Bush, eight major regulations were executed. In the eight years of Obama, there were 57.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 11:37:40 AM »
Well, see, so there.  I thought its use as a political anti-gun chokepoint tool mostly started with Clinton.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 11:40:53 AM »
Map of BLM-managed land, and illustrative of why people from the western US think Bureau of Land Management when they see BLM:

https://www.blm.gov/or/about/images/landsmap-large.gif

230RN

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 01:49:06 PM »
^ Very helpful, and explains why fistful (MO) had not heard of it until recently.

Thanks!

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 09:50:31 PM by 230RN »

230RN

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2017, 10:06:56 PM »
Ben, you meant to type NFS (National Forest Service) instead of NSF (National Science Foundation) in the above, didn't you?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:41:30 PM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 10:11:26 PM »
Ben, you meant to type NFS (National Forest Service) instead of NSF (National Science Foundation) in the above, didn't your?

Yup.