Author Topic: It took them long enough, but here we go...  (Read 1940 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
It took them long enough, but here we go...
« on: March 28, 2017, 10:34:34 AM »
Virginia's attorney general held a news conference the other week bitching about how Virginia is once again supplying huge numbers of guns to the illegal interstate firearms trade.

Anybody with at least a single functional brain cell knew that that was going to be followed by a call for new laws...

And the Governor, the hon. Terry McAuliffe, who makes Bernie Sanders look like a Reaganite Republican, has not disappointed.

Of course, all of the usual suspects are lining up to throw their support behind "common sense" measures...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/mcauliffe-attempts-to-revive-virginias-one-gun-a-month-law/2017/03/27/fc07ec8c-1336-11e7-9e4f-09aa75d3ec57_story.html?utm_term=.da253a250ad4

Nice that the WaPo illustration shows what is supposedly a "Thompson submachine gun," when it's nothing of the *expletive deleted*ing sort, but let's not let the truth get in the way of illustrating EVIL GUNS!

Give it a couple of days and we'll doubtless see some strong editorials from the local media outlets...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: It took them long enough, but here we go...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 10:58:47 AM »
Nice that the WaPo illustration shows what is supposedly a "Thompson submachine gun," when it's nothing of the *expletive deleted*ing sort, but let's not let the truth get in the way of illustrating EVIL GUNS!

Whatever that is, I'm sure it's what all the gang-bangers have stuffed in the waistbands of their sagging jeans. Gotta ban those things now!!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 11:19:42 AM »
If gang bangers WERE using it, there would be fewer shooting deaths in NYC because those West Hurley Thompsons don't work for *expletive deleted*it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 11:27:09 AM »
I'm so glad we're getting rid of this slimeball later this year. His four years were way too long.

Maybe we can pass some education reform next year, even. (I was unsurprised he vetoed the bill last week)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 11:45:44 AM »
The article says he wants to revive the One Gun Per Month Law.  Can they just pass a law mandating criminals can only steal one gun per month?  That would be just as effective at reducing crime as telling non-criminals they can only buy one. 

If there is a single reason why gun rights has gained ground in recent years it is because the gun banners keep using the same arguments (with no facts to back them up) and keep proposing the same laws that have proven ineffective.  Eventually, even some of the more foolish voters figure out they are full of it. 

On the plus side, in Texas the constitutional carry bill is actually getting a committee hearing this session so we'll see if that bill gets anywhere. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 12:35:45 PM »
What they really need to do is pass a law saying criminals can't use guns in crimes. That would really be effective.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 12:55:46 PM »
If they would just pass a law prohibiting criminals from committing crimes, we wouldn't have to worry about guns.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 02:10:13 PM »
Was it Wilder that signed the 1 a month law or his successor?
Wilder was Gov when I was in VA.

Crude, tasteless joke that was heard quite a bit when I was there.

On Virginia's Northern boarded the sign reads:
Welcome to Virginia,  our Winters are milder and our Governor is Wilder
The sign on the Southern border read:
Welcome to Virginia, our peanuts are bigger.......................
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 02:57:12 PM »
I believe the article mentioned that name as the one who signed it before.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 03:06:42 PM »

How did the state enforce the one-handgun-per-month law?  Registration of all handguns?
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 03:59:16 PM »
Douglas Wilder yes.

Enforcement was through dates on the state background checks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 04:17:51 PM »
Douglas Wilder yes.

Enforcement was through dates on the state background checks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Also worth mentioning that you could get permission from the state police to buy more than one a month.  I never looked into it, but IIRC, the 1/month rule did not apply to person-to-person sales (nor would the gov know due to lack of background checks).

Chris

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 04:58:17 PM »
Also worth mentioning that you could get permission from the state police to buy more than one a month.  I never looked into it, but IIRC, the 1/month rule did not apply to person-to-person sales (nor would the gov know due to lack of background checks).

Chris

No! Not the dreaded gun show loophole!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 06:56:34 AM »
"Also worth mentioning that you could get permission from the state police to buy more than one a month."

I had forgotten about that, but you're correct. I know a number of people who got that exemption when I was working at the gun store in the 1990s.

And, near the end, didn't they finally exempt people who had a CCW? I seem to recall the liberal howler monkeys of doom screeching about that...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 06:59:25 AM »

No! Not the dreaded gun show loophole!

But of course, accompanied by the Rivers of Blood in the Streets...

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 09:42:59 AM »
It's been nothing but shootouts in the streets everyday since the new Missouri carry law went into effect. Oh wait, never mind.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 10:19:39 AM »
It's been nothing but shootouts in the streets everyday since the new Missouri carry law went into effect. Oh wait, never mind.

If there were, they would just blame Trumphitler.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 10:25:10 AM »

On the plus side, in Texas the constitutional carry bill is actually getting a committee hearing this session so we'll see if that bill gets anywhere. 

Wisconsin has one in the legislature also.  Rumour has it that it may pass also.

IIRC, there are currently 14 ConCarry states..
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 12:06:32 PM »
Wisconsin has one in the legislature also.  Rumour has it that it may pass also.

IIRC, there are currently 14 ConCarry states..

...and I live in one of them (albeit, it's not as "Con" as it ought to be).

Constitutional Carry in Wisconsin. :laugh: That will be hilarious. How's that blue wall workin' for ya, Democrats?

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 12:18:30 PM »
... And, near the end, didn't they finally exempt people who had a CCW? I seem to recall the liberal howler monkeys of doom screeching about that...

When I was up there, yes, a CHP made FFL gun buying easier and that was one of the bennies.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!