Author Topic: Cincinnati nightclub shooting  (Read 632 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Cincinnati nightclub shooting
« on: March 29, 2017, 08:44:51 AM »
Surprised this didn't come up anywhere...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/26/us/ohio-nightclub-shooting/

Summary: shooting at a Cincinnati night club. 1 dead, 16 injured.  Originally, it was reported as a mass shooting event, with some initial reporting indicating it was a possible terrorist/crazy gunman situation.  As the investigation developed, it appears more so that an altercation between bad guys resulted in a shootout in the club, with probable multiple shooters and multiple firearms recovered at the scene. 

I bring it up because I've noticed that as the story has developed, and it appears to be a criminal vs. criminal situation with some bystanders hit, it's getting less and less press.  What was the lead story on all the TV talking heads on Sunday wasn't mentioned at all on Headline News this morning, only three days later.  Do we think that this is because it's less spinworthy/newsworthy if it's not the crazy gunman/lone terrorist kind of situation, or  is it more a sign of the times when 17 people shot in a situation doesn't make the news if it is bad guy vs. bad guy (look at how little national reporting of shootings  there is out of Chicago).  I've even noticed that the gun control types haven't climbed up on the soapbox about this one.  Thoughts?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

grampster

• friend
Re: Cincinnati nightclub shooting
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 09:00:03 AM »
You're right.  Doesn't fit the narrative.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
No one cares.

It sounds callous, but it's the reason.  No one really cares, so no one will tune in to watch the reports, so the media doesn't bother.

Crazy shooter/terrorists stories persist because everyone looks at them and thinks "That could be me"  at least a little bit.  Schools, offices, malls, movie theaters, and the like are all places that lots of people go.  Even the Pulse shooting was a "good" bar, very similar to the ones lots of folks go to.

Criminals shooting out in the types of clubs that criminals hang out in is not relatable to the vast majority of people that media is being sold to.  They just don't care if gang members shoot each other.  That's why no one cares about chi-towns murder rate either.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 09:30:53 AM »
No one cares.

Yep.   "Oh, it's that kind of night club."

---edit to add---

http://gunfreezone.net/index.php/2017/03/29/if-you-swim-in-a-cesspool/

Cincinnati police responded to Cameo nightclub more than 600 times in the past five years for all manner of reasons, ranging from off-duty police details to reports of fights, assaults or shots fired, newly released records show.Since mid-January 2012, CPD responded to five reports of assaults, six reports of fights, six reports of shootings,14 disorderly conduct reports, one report of a gun, two reports of wanted individuals and 23 reports of thefts.

Source: Police responded to more than 600 calls to Cameo nightclub over 5 years

Six hundred times in five years is about ten calls a month. To act surprised or indignant like Cincinnati.com and say it feels like it is an act of terror is just pandering  rather the face the music (pun intended) and bring the spotlight to places like that till they shape up or close for good.

Yes, I know that “targeting” (pun intended again) a nightclub that is a haven for Rap music and the pitfalls that come with it is akin of wearing a white robe and burning crosses, but if nobody is willing to do *expletive deleted*it about the violence related to that culture, then stop trying to blame my culture for their thirst for shooting and killing each other.

Yeah.   "That kind" of nightclub.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:28:43 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 09:31:35 AM »
Chris posed the question, in part:

Do we think that this is because it's less spinworthy/newsworthy if it's not the crazy gunman/lone terrorist kind of situation...?

It's because "they" automatically reject any evidence in support of "The Terry Theory" of crime reduction and management..

Which is, give everyone who wants one, prohibited status or not, a .45, five boxes of ammunition, and a spare mag. Then let them have at it.

Sooner or later, one Kingpin criminal will emerge, and then "we," meaning the State or Feds, go after that one Kingpin tooth and nail.

Even if we only get him for tax evasion.

Same process for any subKingpins who may emerge.

There will be some collateral damage to innocents, but I suspect that would be less than the actual present collateral damage.... a sub-theory worth testing.

There.  That's "The Terry Theory" of crime management.

I said it and I ain't takin' it back.

Terry, 230RN