Author Topic: Warning shots by police may be making a comeback  (Read 854 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Warning shots by police may be making a comeback
« on: March 29, 2017, 05:24:22 PM »
http://www.npr.org/2017/03/28/520826667/police-warning-shots-may-be-in-for-a-comeback?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170329

Interesting.  I wonder if a warning shot would cause me to cease and desist or just run all the faster.  I am probably not going to be looking at the police officer shooting at me, so how would I know if the officer was aiming at me or not?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Warning shots by police may be making a comeback
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 05:38:57 PM »
Funny how little the article discusses the liability concern that the warning shot will cause injury or death to an uninvolved person, or damage to property...  I'm thinking that has got to be a concern from a risk management angle.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 05:44:03 PM »
They're just looking for an excuse for all those "approximately 6,985 rounds were fired at the suspect, who is currently receiving treatment for a sprained ankle" stories.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 07:22:21 PM »
Funny how little the article discusses the liability concern that the warning shot will cause injury or death to an uninvolved person, or damage to property...  I'm thinking that has got to be a concern from a risk management angle.

Yup. That, and more than one innocent person has been killed when cops mistook an negligent discharge by one of their own as incoming fire, and responded with a hail of bullets. I can see the same thing happening with a warning shot that other officers didn't know was coming.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 08:12:17 PM »
I doubt this will go anywhere once the LE agencies insurance carrier gets involved.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 04:52:46 AM »
So when do they start releasing or having new trials for people in jail or who where convicted of various charges involving warning shots? I don't know the numbers; but I've certainly read about more than zero cases where a person was convicted of various crimes since firing a warning shot proved they weren't really in fear for their life. While I think a warning shot is of dubious use especially by police; I've also thought it doesn't entirely disprove someone is in fear for there life either. It is possible to be in fear for your life and not want to kill the person you are in fear from.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 10:08:40 AM »
Warning shots are great! I place mine at COM.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 04:41:00 PM »
warning shots are great for the movies.   In real life?  Not so much.