Author Topic: One space or two spaces after a period.  (Read 6797 times)

griz

• friend
Re: One space or two spaces after a period.
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2017, 02:12:06 PM »

Maybe we should get beyond this by doing something differentSTOP No more need for periods OR spacingSTOP

But, I supposed there'd be a group of people who would have to be differentSTOPSTOP

Not a bad ideaSTOP And instead of an exclamation point you could typeSTOPDAMIT
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2017, 03:43:23 PM »
I b'leeves the standard word for an exclamation point is "bang" Bang
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2017, 03:45:38 PM »
FWIW, being the only male in a house of females, I provide plenty of space after a period. 

Chris

STOP STOP STOP
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2017, 04:48:59 PM »
Just give him some space. 

Okay ... but only one, not two.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2017, 11:06:49 PM »

You  may  be  investing  a  wee  too  much  into  this  .

I will leave an infinite number of spaces after this sentence.   

Anyone else actually check to see how many spaces were after the last sentence? (3)
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2017, 12:34:32 AM »
Anyone else actually check to see how many spaces were after the last sentence? (3)

No.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2017, 06:21:03 AM »
No.

Two hundred fifty-six CHR$(32)s ?

I sometimes accidentally type a comma instead of a period, then two spaces for the end of a sentence and not notice it just by proofreading.  I wrote a program to go through a body of text to find and replace comma blank blank with period blank blank, but that was in Applesoft "basic."  Now I just use a larger font in Notepad (where I do most of my composing) so I can spot that and other errors more easily.  So that was a useful aspect of using two spaces.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 06:49:51 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2017, 10:11:48 AM »

I do in my job. Because I work with some people who thing that if two spaces are OK, 4 to 17 must be shitpotloads better!

Bunch of retarded monkeys.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2017, 10:25:30 AM »
I do in my job. Because I work with some people who thing that if two spaces are OK, 4 to 17 must be shitpotloads better!

That happens to me on posts when I keep editing over and over and adding more pairs of spaces at the end.  I think the system usually filters that out.                                                                                                                  

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2017, 11:08:19 AM »

Oh, yes!

I often receive documents prepared by people who were paid professional money to prepare them. It's astonishing how many people and organizations haven't yet discovered PDF -- they send out things like newsletter, reports, and contracts in Word. Turn on the view formatting and you find things like using five spaces to indent the first line of a paragraph, rather than just format the paragraph to indent automatically. Or 20 gazillion spaces to create space between something at the start of a line and something else toward the right side of the page, rather than just inserting a tab. One that I particularly don't understand, and I'm seeing more of recently, is adding a space or two AFTER the closing period of a paragraph.

Then there are the ones who create a document with twenty five paragraphs, that all look the same when printed, but when you turn on reveal formatting you find that every paragraph is formatted differently.  :facepalm:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2017, 11:48:04 AM »
Oh, yes!

I often receive documents prepared by people who were paid professional money to prepare them. It's astonishing how many people and organizations haven't yet discovered PDF -- they send out things like newsletter, reports, and contracts in Word. Turn on the view formatting and you find things like using five spaces to indent the first line of a paragraph, rather than just format the paragraph to indent automatically. Or 20 gazillion spaces to create space between something at the start of a line and something else toward the right side of the page, rather than just inserting a tab. One that I particularly don't understand, and I'm seeing more of recently, is adding a space or two AFTER the closing period of a paragraph.

Then there are the ones who create a document with twenty five paragraphs, that all look the same when printed, but when you turn on reveal formatting you find that every paragraph is formatted differently.  :facepalm:
Adding two spaces is often just automatic for me after hitting the period whether I am going to start another sentence or end a paragraph.

On Word formating, I have probably done this a number times after giving up fighting with Word as it tries to auto format to what it thinks I should do rather than what I want to do.  I rarely have that issue when starting from scratch.  Using template documents can give me issues.  I am sure it is something I did wrong in the first place, but sometimes I get tired of dealing with it.  Usually it is when I run afoul of the tier level outline formatting some of our documents use.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2017, 01:40:36 PM »
Adding two spaces is often just automatic for me after hitting the period whether I am going to start another sentence or end a paragraph.

Yes.

On Word formating, I have probably done this a number times after giving up fighting with Word as it tries to auto format to what it thinks I should do rather than what I want to do.  I rarely have that issue when starting from scratch.  Using template documents can give me issues.  I am sure it is something I did wrong in the first place, but sometimes I get tired of dealing with it.  Usually it is when I run afoul of the tier level outline formatting some of our documents use.

Yes, yes.

Turn on the view formatting and you find things like using five spaces to indent the first line of a paragraph, rather than just format the paragraph to indent automatically.

Older version of Word, but that drove me nuts for a while.  Gave up, and I hope Hawkmoon never gets a Word document from me.  It would probably drive him nuts.

But, as I said, I usually use Notepad and paste to Word if it's desirable.

Terry

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2017, 02:28:09 PM »
That happens to me on posts when I keep editing over and over and adding more pairs of spaces at the end.  I think the system usually filters that out.                                                                                                                   

I think where I work it's a case of the tardmonkeys being so bored by what they're writing they doze off briefly at the end of every sentence... thumb down.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2017, 02:33:47 PM »
Oh, yes!

Ah, I love those people... They give me job security...

My personal favorite is if someone wants to do something in a document, they don't look for the proper Word style, they simply write another one because they're too lazy. And the next person does the same thing, often duplicating the efforts of the first.

And then, they merge two, three, or more documents, each with its own unique set of styles, into a single document... And they do so without flushing the old document's styles, which are immediately imported into the new document...

So now, instead of having one clean original document with with 30 or so styles, you've got the 42nd level of hell document with several HUNDRED styles and most of them either useless because they're not built correctly or they're duplicating multiple other styles.

Guh.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2017, 03:02:25 PM »

My personal favorite is if someone wants to do something in a document, they don't look for the proper Word style, they simply write another one because they're too lazy. And the next person does the same thing, often duplicating the efforts of the first.

And then, they merge two, three, or more documents, each with its own unique set of styles, into a single document... And they do so without flushing the old document's styles, which are immediately imported into the new document...

So now, instead of having one clean original document with with 30 or so styles, you've got the 42nd level of hell document with several HUNDRED styles and most of them either useless because they're not built correctly or they're duplicating multiple other styles.

Guh.

Sounds like military Powerpoints that different sections work on with different fonts, styles, and backgrounds.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2017, 03:05:34 PM »
I think where I work it's a case of the tardmonkeys being so bored by what they're writing they doze off briefly at the end of every sentence... thumb down.
I was once in a short assignment doing new procedures for mechanical integrity.  I sympathize.  It would not be my choice of job.  

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2017, 03:07:02 PM »
Two spaces = .45 inch.  That is too big and slow for typing.  A single 9mm space is better in every way.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2017, 03:17:31 PM »
Two spaces = .45 inch.  That is too big and slow for typing.  A single 9mm space is better in every way.
One .45 does the job.  You need two 9mm or HP 9mm that spreads to near .45.   =)

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2017, 04:03:58 PM »
One .45 does the job.  You need two 9mm or HP 9mm that spreads to near .45.   =)

What about the .40GAP.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2017, 06:28:32 PM »

Guh.

And most of them can get by with maybe three styles: Normal, Body Text, and Subparagraph1 (or Outline1)

I think another problem is that many (dare I say "most"?) companies and organizations don't have any standards established for this. They seem to assume that when they hire someone who can turn on a computer, that person must already know how to use Word so no instruction, training, or guidance is necessary.

Many years ago I worked for a company that had a marketing director, who had his own "administrative assistant." She was a gorgeous blonde, and she had Peter absolutely snowed. One day he sent me a proposal he was working on and he asked me to edit it. When I started editing, the printed drafts would up with "headers" and "footers" scattered throughout the document. His administrative assistant had claimed on her resume, among other things, that she had been an instructor in word processing. But she didn't know how to create a header and footer so they automatically went at the top and bottom of each page. She was actually entering them manually each time the text scrolled to a new page.

I pointed out to Peter that his assistant was not what she seemed to be, and he became very defensive. So I just gave him the edited document and let him deal with the aftermath -- I didn't fix the headers and footers. "Not my job, mon."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2017, 06:36:13 PM »
And most of them can get by with maybe three styles: Normal, Body Text, and Subparagraph1 (or Outline1)

Times New Roman and Arial are the only two fonts.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2017, 06:53:27 PM »
Times New Roman and Arial are the only two fonts.

What about Comic Sans, my favorite.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2017, 07:48:43 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2017, 09:04:26 PM »
I'm a two spacer, and at the age of 37 I'm younger than you so it's just because I'm a geezer.  I was taught touch typing in the mid-90's on an actual typewriter.  I got a D for looking at my fingers.  It wasn't long after that I got online and my typing went up.  I'm at about 105wpm most days.  Most of my early online stuff was before proportional fonts, or even Windows for that matter, so double spaces at the ends of sentences was normal.  Most of my wiring is computer code where everything is monospaced unless you're a deranged lunatic and the rule also works well there.  I have no desire to change.  Any system that really cares can filter it out quite easily.  It's just a space, not a non-breaking space.