Author Topic: Dehumidifier Recall  (Read 848 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Dehumidifier Recall
« on: April 02, 2017, 02:44:14 PM »
Mideal Air Conditioning Equipment, Ltd., of China makes dehumidifiers for 50 or more different companies, including the big names here in the US -- GE, Frigidaire, Pelonis, Sunbeam and a TON I've never heard of.

There's a recall going on right now due to smoke and fire issues with some of the units.

If you have a dehumidifier and it's older than 2014, I'd check out the website to see if your unit is affected.

http://www.recallrtr.com/dehumidifier

I have two - a newer GE and an older Frigidaire. The GE isn't affected; the Frigidaire model number is suspect, but the serial number isn't in the range. That still makes me nervous.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jim147

• friends
Re: Dehumidifier Recall
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 03:18:51 PM »
We have been doing recalls and reworks on those damn things for twenty years. I have never seen one catch fire yet.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 04:23:21 PM »
We have been doing recalls and reworks on those damn things for twenty years. I have never seen one catch fire yet.

Would you see one that caught fire?  Not being a wise guy, just wondering.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 06:22:46 PM »
From what I heard the main thing was a small internal electrical fire with smell add smoke so the units were still intact.

When I was working the greater Kansas City area I was the tech the manufactures called in to go to the meeting with the lawyers and insurance people to tear the unit down piece by piece to determine the cause of the fire with camera's rolling.  I'm sure they sent some back to the factory to have there own tech's tear down.

I leaned an important thing one day, don't wrap bailing wire around a high limit thermostat. As soon as I found that the other companies insurance company had to pull out their wallet. That was not a manufacturing defect.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG