Author Topic: Insistent panhandler  (Read 8317 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Insistent panhandler
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2017, 11:52:02 AM »
These leaches would hang around the bus station near the base where bootcamp was and hit up the fresh boots with the "help a vet" tact.

Punk-ass whippersnappers not willing to help out a fellow vet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKtjBqJ4NxA
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2017, 03:46:12 PM »
Oh, the aggressive ones do not know how close they've come to getting punched with me.

Back when I was in my late teens and hanging out on the Downtown Mall, one of the drunk ones got too close to me for comfort while trying to wheedle money and I snapped in his face "Get the *expletive deleted*ck back!" Even the girls with me were surprised at how nasty I got. It actually upset them and they got on my case later about it.
I then told them off for being naive and oblivious to the potential dangers of letting a drunken homeless person get that close to their helpless asses.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Pb

• friend
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2017, 10:31:56 AM »
You let a bum into your car?  Do you have a death wish?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2017, 12:57:57 PM »
Oh, the aggressive ones do not know how close they've come to getting punched with me.

Back when I was in my late teens and hanging out on the Downtown Mall, one of the drunk ones got too close to me for comfort while trying to wheedle money and I snapped in his face "Get the *expletive deleted*ck back!" Even the girls with me were surprised at how nasty I got. It actually upset them and they got on my case later about it.
I then told them off for being naive and oblivious to the potential dangers of letting a drunken homeless person get that close to their helpless asses.

I know a nice Canadian lady, married to an American, and she's lived on both sides of the border over the past few decades. They just moved back to hubby's old stomping grounds, North St. Louis County. She hasn't yet learned to stick to the southern/western parts of the neighborhood, so she was at the Aldi's store over by our neck of the concrete jungle. Alone. At closing time, in the parking lot. She let a panhandler get nice and close, and he kissed her on the cheek.

:facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2017, 01:26:29 PM »
Panhandlers used to be part of the quirkiness of KW (Key West).  The city established two spots in the city where they can beg.  Cops began arresting them for panhandling and one of them sued the city for violating his constitutional right to beg as it was an abridgement of his free speech.  The court agreed so the city created the Designated Begging Zone.  Another diminishing of the KW flavor but creating another.

One guy used to walk around in a huge box with holes cut out for arms and legs.  He wrote across the front of the box...."Will work for clothes."   Another guy used to sit on the curb with a sign that said, "I ain't gonna kid ya, I just want the money for beer."   Another guy used to sit in the alcove of a doorway of a closed store with a bowl and a sign asking for money.  One day, he slid back deeper into the doorway and was eating a sub sandwich.  I guy walked up and threw a couple bucks into his bowl.  The beggar yelled at the guy, "What the hell do you think your doing, can't you see I'm on my lunch break?"

"... lunch break..."

LULZ

"The court agreed so the city created the Designated Begging Zone.  Another diminishing of the KW flavor but creating another."

Isn't that still a violation of their free speech rights anyhow?

The way I see it, a limited fundamental right is still an "abridgement" or "restriction" or "curtailment."

Or "infringement."

Oh, wait.... "reasonable."  I forgot.

Parallels?  Analogs?  Parables?   >:D

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:48:51 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2017, 01:36:12 PM »
It got to the point for awhile that I'd always carry headphones with me and stick them in my ears and plug them into my phone whether I was actually listening to them or not (most often not).

In Dallas, I usually didn't even bother plugging them into anything; just stick the plug end into an inside pocket.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2017, 06:19:36 PM »
"... lunch break..."

LULZ

"The court agreed so the city created the Designated Begging Zone.  Another diminishing of the KW flavor but creating another."

The way I see it, a limited fundamental right is still an "abridgement" or "restriction" or "curtailment."

Or "infringement."

Oh, wait.... "reasonable."  I forgot.

Parallels?  Analogs?  Parables?   >:D

Terry, 230RN

The two "official" begging zones are by parking areas with a lot of foot traffic.  One by Mallory Square where they have an entertainment circus every night and the tourists watch the sunset.  The other is on Caroline St. near the KW Bight.  Lots of people.  I suppose the beggars are happy with those areas.  Been no squawking that I know of.  Then there are "unofficial beggars".  They sit along Duval St in Old Town.  Most of them appear to play instruments or have other things to exchange for money.  One guy is dressed as Darth Vader and plays the banjo.  He must do OK as he's been there doing that for years.  Two mimes stand on crates dressed as Elvis.  One male one female.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 09:24:36 AM by grampster »
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

birdman

• friend
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2017, 06:20:57 PM »
Westword, a fairly decent weekly hereabouts did a survey about ten years ago and found an average income from panhandling was about 30 grand.  So that's about 40K nowadays, less a guessed 10% bragging factor, that makes 34 K for nowadays.

Taaaaax freeeeeee.

10% off of 40k is 34k?
(Sorry, my math OCD was twitching and I had to respond)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2017, 06:48:00 PM »

Welcome to New America.  Free Speech Zones first popped up during Bush's election, IIRC.  SCOTUS says it is legal, so be it.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2017, 07:03:43 PM »
Welcome to New America.  Free Speech Zones first popped up during Bush's election, IIRC.  SCOTUS says it is legal, so be it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xohzz1_lindseys-cage-dance_fun
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2017, 01:38:46 PM »
Me:
Westword, a fairly decent weekly hereabouts did a survey about ten years ago and found an average income from panhandling was about 30 grand.  So that's about 40K nowadays, less a guessed 10% bragging factor, that makes 34 K for nowadays.

Taaaaax freeeeeee.

10% off of 40k is 34k?
(Sorry, my math OCD was twitching and I had to respond)

It is if you have fat fingers.  OK, OK, ~$36K.  Even more tax free.  ( Denver requires a begging license of some sort, and without actually knowing, I'd guess there's an income reporting thing in that paperwork somewhere.)  But thanks for the correction, and may it be my worst mistake of the week.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xohzz1_lindseys-cage-dance_fun

Heh.

Terry

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2017, 12:00:27 AM »
Last time I gave to a "beggar" was 10 -12 years ago.  DW and I were on a night drive & stopped at a rest stop.  Young man, with an older guy in the background, said they were on their way to Phoenix and had run out of gas.  They wanted a ride to the next gas station down the road.  Uh, no, that ain't gonna happen. 

DW & I talked about it a bit and decided to buy a gas can, fill it with gas and take it back to them.  We weren't in a hurry and, what the hell, if worse came to worse & they weren't there we'd have a new gas can.  Turns out they were still there and really were out of gas.  The kid offered to pay but I couldn't remember how much it had cost.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2017, 09:52:34 AM »
Last time I gave to a "beggar" was 10 -12 years ago.  DW and I were on a night drive & stopped at a rest stop.  Young man, with an older guy in the background, said they were on their way to Phoenix and had run out of gas.  They wanted a ride to the next gas station down the road.  Uh, no, that ain't gonna happen.

Done it before, but I have a general rule of only one rider, and only if I have room to keep them where I or a trusted passenger can keep an eye on them.  Not too worried about a guy in the passenger seat doing anything when I have a buddy in the back seat with his hand resting on a .357.  Of course, I also generally carry tools and at least an empty can in any vehicle I drive, and sometimes full, so I don't have to haul the stranded folks for most minor stuff.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2017, 12:20:21 PM »
Welcome to New America.  Free Speech Zones first popped up during Bush's election, IIRC.  SCOTUS says it is legal, so be it.
Considering that was the beginning of the paid "protestors" trying to disrupt events of the opposition, I don't really see the issue.  They get to be on camera making noise without actually mobbing the event.  

For this, is begging really part of free speech?  If they just stand off and ask, I can see that.  The more annoying ones usually go further than that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2017, 12:27:30 PM »
Wikipedia says that the first formalized "free speech zone" was set up during the 1988 Democratic National Convention in Atlanta... They called it a protest zone or some such.

I THINK, but I'm not certain, that some colleges had set up petition areas during the 1984 Presidential election when pro/anti Reagan students and also slightly later when anti-aparthied protesters started demonstrating more vocally.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2017, 11:46:51 PM »
most of the time they are scamming, I'm pretty good at knowing who's who due to being down some hard roads myself.
One time I instinctively turned a kid down and felt terrible because afterwards I realized he was legit.
In cooler weather I buy a big bag of those little hersheys bars and offer one or two in lieu of cash - it brings me and them joy.

Most guys who need a handout will never ever panhandle.

I had said a prayer on my way into Phoenix the first time, I needed to go to church and an AA meeting to get my 21yr chip.
I had only a half tank of gas and not enough to get back - but i had to go.
I was in the gas station counting my change-i had 8 dollars in coins and used it - a guy I came up to me and handed me a 20 to get some gas!

Prayer can be effective - but the AA meeting didn't have a 21 yr chip, DOH!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2017, 10:10:00 AM »

I know a nice Canadian lady, married to an American, and she's lived on both sides of the border over the past few decades. They just moved back to hubby's old stomping grounds, North St. Louis County. She hasn't yet learned to stick to the southern/western parts of the neighborhood, so she was at the Aldi's store over by our neck of the concrete jungle. Alone. At closing time, in the parking lot. She let a panhandler get nice and close, and he kissed her on the cheek.

:facepalm:

My grandmother used to tell us that the Lord watches over fools and little children. The problem is that there are so many of both that sometimes the Lord is too busy watching over the little children to save all the fools from their foolishness.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2017, 10:12:37 AM »
Two mimes stand on crates dressed as Elvis.  One male one female.

??? How does a crate dress as Elvis? Elvis (toward the end) was more roundish, not cubical.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2017, 11:25:23 AM »
most of the time they are scamming, I'm pretty good at knowing who's who due to being down some hard roads myself.
One time I instinctively turned a kid down and felt terrible because afterwards I realized he was legit.
In cooler weather I buy a big bag of those little hersheys bars and offer one or two in lieu of cash - it brings me and them joy.

Most guys who need a handout will never ever panhandle.

I had said a prayer on my way into Phoenix the first time, I needed to go to church and an AA meeting to get my 21yr chip.
I had only a half tank of gas and not enough to get back - but i had to go.
I was in the gas station counting my change-i had 8 dollars in coins and used it - a guy I came up to me and handed me a 20 to get some gas!

Prayer can be effective - but the AA meeting didn't have a 21 yr chip, DOH!

Quoted and bolded for truthyness
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2017, 11:56:25 AM »
^
I can tell you've never been laid off as a white male at the age of 48 right after a divorce.

With child support payments.

Was sore tempted to beg at the time, except I had no special disabilities or qualifications beyond having been laid off as a white male at the age of 48 right after a divorce.

Nowadays I can't tell the difference between legit beggars and grifters, and too many of them are too aggressive, so I'm reluctant to give willy-nilly.

When I was flush, I used to give through my church to specific verifiably hard-luck individuals or families.

I'd give X bucks to the church Treasurer and he'd get a check in that amount to them so I'd know the money was appropriately directed, and they'd think it was from the church itself.  Nobody but Pastor and the Treasurer knew about this, and there was none of the established charity overhead except for the cost of the paper check.  Oh, and the gas the Treasurer used to get to their place to deliver the check.  (And do some proselytising.)

Like politics, all charity should be local.

I am no longer a member of any church, so that avenue is closed to me nowadays.

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know which philanthropist posted it. :D :angel:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:19:06 PM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2017, 01:24:28 PM »
^
I can tell you've never been laid off as a white male at the age of 48 right after a divorce.

Was sore tempted to beg at the time, except I had no special disabilities or qualifications beyond having been laid off as a white male at the age of 48 right after a divorce.

Nowadays I can't tell the difference between legit beggars and grifters, and too many of them are too aggressive, so I'm reluctant to give willy-nilly.

When I was flush, I used to give through my church to specific verifiably hard-luck individuals or families.

I'd give X bucks to the church Treasurer and he'd get a check in that amount to them so I'd know the money was appropriately directed, and they'd think it was from the church itself.  Nobody but Pastor and the Treasurer knew about this, and there was none of the established charity overhead except for the cost of the paper check.  Oh, and the gas the Treasurer used to get to their place to deliver the check.  (And do some proselytising.)

Like politics, all charity should be local.

I am no longer a member of any church, so that avenue is closed to me nowadays.

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know which philanthropist posted it. :D :angel:

Very much agree.  The big FedGov and even the smaller StateGov's are too big and too far away to know if charity is really needed and far too many people seem to think scamming the big government is just taking free money.  Also, I think many people think since they are paying for welfare and such through taxes, why do they need to give more direct to charity?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2017, 01:41:20 PM »
Very much agree.  The big FedGov and even the smaller StateGov's are too big and too far away to know if charity is really needed and far too many people seem to think scamming the big government is just taking free money.  Also, I think many people think since they are paying for welfare and such through taxes, why do they need to give more direct to charity?

For me, it's more about what I can afford to give. I give less than I otherwise might because gov takes my money and gives it to the people they think deserve charity, leaving me less money to give to the people that I think deserve charity.

To some extent, I'm also getting a little disillusioned with the Salvation Army. It used to be I could donate online and easily choose where my money went.  I generally did 25% to local community programs and 75% to disaster relief. Now they default to sending my money to the local SA and I've been a bit unhappy with that because based on the "you're donation is helping" letters they send out, they seem to use a majority of their local donation money to help drug addicts.

If someone wants to give to that, fine with me, but cold-hearted or not, I don't. Drugs are a choice. You got yourself into them, while there are other people who have simply had really bad luck, even though they've worked to make good choices. Those are the people I prefer to help with my charity money. Hence also my preference for disaster relief. I've seen the SA work in that situation and that's what got me to donate the majority of my  contributions to them. They make every dollar stretch with low administration. The people who instantly lost everything to some natural disaster are also the people I most believe in giving a leg up.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2017, 03:43:39 PM »
Back when I worked in the city, there was a group of panhandlers at Cermak and Cicero off the Eisenhower.  Each (and a "couple", not sure if married or not) working each street in both directions, walking in and out of traffic as the lights changed.   I never gave them a dime as it was the same people day after day after day...

Then, one day the couple acquired a wheelchair and would take turns pushing each other in it (through traffic), better marketing I guess.  Total Bullshit.  It was highlarious to watch them Fred Flintstones themselves when they were done begging for the day, and headed "home" down the side street past our building.

Now that I work in Hoffman there are there guys that "work" the exit off the Eisenhower at Higgins Rd.  One works the off ramp while the other two work both directions of Higgens Rd.   It was funny the day that the Schaumburg police gave everyone the bums rush and busted up the tent city that they had setup under the trees behind the "Village of Schaumburg" rocks in this picture (hopefully it works)       https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0366884,-88.0297213,3a,75y,336.68h,86.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUmU4QhtibcrMMqAB9bimAQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Sorry, but I don't give to panhandlers.  Now the buskers playing buckets or other musicians playing instruments outside of White Sox games may get my spare change or a buck or two.  At least they are doing something to try to earn it.  
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 06:16:41 PM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2017, 03:47:42 PM »
the last time i was truly homeless it was so embarrassing i kept my mouth shut.
I lost the pay by the week dump because San Francisco towed my motorcycle and i was a motorcycle messenger, i could keep my job if i paid the fines/fees or pay for rent and attempt to navigate the homeless shelter to welfare hotel and leave the bike to rot.
I chose keep job and bike.
A guy i knew in AA landed a job helping homeless people, i asked him for help but i would have had to quite my job! :mad:
So, I was homeless but not qualified for assistance due to having a job.
you have to be on welfare and in the system to receive aid  - i worked, paid 30 bucks a month for storage to keep my clothes and washed up in bathrooms at work/starbucks , changed my clothes every day and didn't "look" homeless or associate with them.

Most "homeless" are drug addled idiots on welfare, living in welfare hotels or homeless shelters.

I would never step foot in a homeless shelter ...

A  metal detectors, no guns or knives ( yeah, with the folks I see around those places I know I'll need a gun or knife )
B tuberculosis, bed bugs, etc

I have been hungry and homeless and strongly considered asking for change at a gas station, when I got there I just couldn't

Once, I had just gotten a job and paid my rent but my first real paycheck was 2 weeks out, I sold my tools cheap at gas stations to buy gas and "donated" plasma
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2017, 05:30:40 PM »
I do give to Fisher House, Friends of Scouting (Boy Scouts), Girl Scout Cookies.  "Stuff" goes to Vietnam Veterans and not Goodwill as they throw away any Scout uniforms rather then selling them or giving them to a local unit or two to recycle.   Plus it's a "for-profit" disguised as a not-for profit.  A pox on them.   Same with the Red Cross.  I saw any number of soldiers screwed over by them while in Germany.  I hope they die screaming in a fire...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.