Author Topic: Insistent panhandler  (Read 8264 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Insistent panhandler
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2017, 05:45:44 PM »
"Disabled WW II Vet. Please help."

Really?    Anyone who was 20 when that war ended would be 92 now.   Counting on people's historical ignorance?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2017, 11:04:11 PM »
Really?    Anyone who was 20 when that war ended would be 92 now.   Counting on people's historical ignorance?

I never said how old he was, or how old he appeared to be.

He did, in fact, appear to be old enough to have fought in the war.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2017, 08:07:05 PM »
Then, one day the couple acquired a wheelchair and would take turns pushing each other in it (through traffic), better marketing I guess.

This is why I still support my idea of how to fix some of the fraud laws; if you falsely claim a disability in order to obtain money or other benefits, you should be given that disability as punishment.  Since they were both making the claim, both get it.  Since they weren't specifying what the actual disability was, then the court should roll some dice to choose any disability that prevents one from walking.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2017, 11:35:20 PM »
I do give to Fisher House, Friends of Scouting (Boy Scouts), Girl Scout Cookies.  "Stuff" goes to Vietnam Veterans and not Goodwill as they throw away any Scout uniforms rather then selling them or giving them to a local unit or two to recycle.   Plus it's a "for-profit" disguised as a not-for profit.  A pox on them.   Same with the Red Cross.  I saw any number of soldiers screwed over by them while in Germany.  I hope they die screaming in a fire...

oooh, I have heard similar before, but only about goodwill - goodwill has some good deals though, all my clothes are still in storage in reno so until i get back there to get the rest of my stuff i have been doing the thrift store thing
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2017, 12:29:25 AM »
In the halcyon days of my youth, Goodwill Industries was about teaching useful trades to persons with disabilities. For example, they were happy to take in old, battered furniture like sofas and easy chairs, because they taught people the upholstery trade and old furniture donations gave them the raw materials to work with/on.

And then, somewhere along the way, they stopped doing job training and became just a chain of thrift stores. Given my druthers, I prefer to donate useful articles and clothing to the Salvation Army. The problem is that I have east access to three Goodwill stores, but the only Salvation Army store and drop-off is miles away in a direction I don't usually travel. The Salvation Army used to have a clothing drop container at the transfer station in my town, but that disappeared about six months ago. I try to save stuff to make a trip to the Salvation Army store worthwhile, but sometimes I just get lazy and drop a few items off at Goodwill.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2017, 10:27:18 AM »
About the only thing Goodwill is good for around here is a convenient place to drop off electronics for recycle. They do have a great business model though, obtain items for free, pay people minimum wage to clean, sort, etc. and then place it back on the floor for sale. I would imagine they get tax breaks for employing the marginally employable and just because of who they are with other taxes. Let's not forget the volunteers that also work there, the best kind of employee, a free one.

bob

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Insistent panhandler
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2017, 10:33:00 AM »
Also I've noticed an increasing trend, at least at my local Goodwill store, if items being priced laughably high for a thrift store.

We've got some local thrift stores that are MUCH better, and on the rare occasion I have something to donate I usually give it to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2017, 10:38:52 AM »
"Also I've noticed an increasing trend, at least at my local Goodwill store, if items being priced laughably high for a thrift store."

Oh, it's not just your Goodwill store.

My Mother was in the book and antique business for many years, and often scored some decent stuff from Goodwill.

Then, maybe 10 to 15 years ago Goodwill decided that it was also in the antique business, and prices started to jump, especially on their online stuff.

Problem is, they were charging antique prices for stuff that's absolute crap.

Last time I was in a Goodwill store was maybe 4 years ago. I needed a couple of cheap blankets for something, I forget what...

Stained, frayed, torn blankets/coverlets that would have cost maybe $50 new were priced at $80 and up.

I saw a couple of Reader's Digest condensed books.... $15 EACH.

I've never bothered going back.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2017, 11:35:39 AM »
. . . Same with the Red Cross.  I saw any number of soldiers screwed over by them while in Germany.  I hope they die screaming in a fire...
My Dad and two uncles - all WWII vets - could hardly mention the Red Cross without profanity.

As for Goodwill . . . the best thing about them is they'll take in old electronics for recycling and provide receipts for anything you drop off  - useful for documenting modest non-cash charitable donations if you itemize your taxes.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2017, 12:08:32 PM »

Depends on the region and the individual store, I think.  The one in Granbury rarely has any good appliances, and a lot of their menswear is 20-50% more than the Weatherford one, while Weatherford was the source for my $6 bread machine and $11 countertop convection oven, as well as a lot of my $18-25 suits in excellent condition.  (To the point I think some were worn once, possibly for the wearer's own funeral since the hang tags were still in a couple of them.)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2017, 02:49:09 PM »
"Also I've noticed an increasing trend, at least at my local Goodwill store, if items being priced laughably high for a thrift store."

Oh, it's not just your Goodwill store.

My Mother was in the book and antique business for many years, and often scored some decent stuff from Goodwill.

Then, maybe 10 to 15 years ago Goodwill decided that it was also in the antique business, and prices started to jump, especially on their online stuff.

Last time I was in a Goodwill store was maybe 4 years ago. I needed a couple of cheap blankets for something, I forget what...

Stained, frayed, torn blankets/coverlets that would have cost maybe $50 new were priced at $80 and up.

I've never bothered going back.
Do they give a donation receipt when you buy something?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2017, 03:29:59 PM »
Do they give a donation receipt when you buy something?

They don't here, you do get a receipt though. I deduct the sales tax on my Fed taxes at the end of the year.

bob

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2017, 03:31:03 PM »
They don't here, you do get a receipt though. I deduct the sales tax on my Fed taxes at the end of the year.

bob

Shouldn't you be able to deduct it all since it is a charitable organization you're purchasing from?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2017, 03:32:34 PM »
Absolutely not. You're not making a donation. You are purchasing a product.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2017, 05:16:17 PM »

:rofl:

I've seen those things in about every thrift store I've been to, so they're not exactly rare. A thrift store is usually about the cheapest place you can buy books. #threadveer Most used book stores aren't as cheap as they used to be. Half-Price Books has an awesome clearance section, though. Good books for ~$2 each.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2017, 07:32:57 PM »
Not exactly rare?

There were more printed than dollar bills...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk