Author Topic: CMP possibly getting M1 Garands.  (Read 1453 times)

freakazoid

• friend
CMP possibly getting M1 Garands.
« on: April 08, 2017, 01:15:51 AM »
I just read in a Facebook group that CMP put out that they are getting 86,000 M1 Garands that were sent as a lend-lease to the Philippines.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

dogmush

• friend
Re: CMP possibly getting M1 Garands.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 01:29:22 AM »
I may have to grab another. 

I'm still hoping those 1911's come through...

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 07:52:22 AM »
I'm hoping the M1 Carbines in S. Korea can come home, too.  Man, them's fun little guns.... and that's their "sporting purpose."

Fun.*

Terry

*( >:D  Oh, and for practice in clearing jams and using curse words. Ideal for youth and female training in the true ways of the world. :D)
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 09:30:22 AM »
That would be awesome. The selection has gotten pretty slim. I had also been thinking about getting another one, mostly for investment.

On a side note, I'm trying to remember what Obama did to put the kibosh on getting more of them back into he hands of the CMP. Was it something Trump could easily reverse?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 09:43:14 AM »
If "another one," you mean Carbines, I believes it has to do with a State Department or BATFABCXYZ  "interpretation" of "sporting purpose."

I.e., excluding just about everything but deer and duck and paper huntin'.  

Same may be true of the Garands.

And notwithstanding that, I believe both M1s are classed as curios and relics.

We need overhauls of both the State Department and the BATFEABCXYZ.

With the Philippine M1 Garands, at least they're owned* by a U.S. protectorate (or whatever) as opposed to the M1 Carbines in South Korea, where we are still technically "in conflict" with N. Korea over that little kerfuffle in the 1950s.  (Maybe it's a good idea to leave them there after all --who knows?)

Terry

* or at least lend-leased to them.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 10:52:05 AM »
If "another one," you mean Carbines,

Meant Garands, being in CA. Grrr. I had a sweet Singer M1 carbine in the 80s that was stolen. Double Grrr.

Yeah, my last one I just used my C&R to meet the CMP requirements. I gave the C&R up though, so I guess if I get another Garand I'll need to go to the range and do a dang shoot.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 12:54:29 PM »
Oh, I got the hots for a CMP Garand a couple of years ago, gathered copies of my NRA Life card, CCW, Hunter Safety Certificate, Membership in my range, Handgun Hunting Tester ticket, etc, etc, (and there was some kind of exemption for age, which I forget what it was) and once again decided I didn't like the clip mechanism anyhow.

The Japs got it right when they copied it, with a detachable magazine and a carrying handle.

You ain't got a clip, you ain't got a rifle. So I gave it up.

Besides, IIRC, they only had them in .308.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 06:29:58 PM by 230RN »

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 06:55:08 PM »
No clips? Well, if you're dextrous, it's still a single-shot rifle.  But it's not like clips are hard to come by.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 07:11:15 PM »

The Japs got it right when they copied it, with a detachable magazine and a carrying handle.

You ain't got a magazine, you ain't got a rifle. So I gave it up.

Besides, IIRC, they only had them in .308.

I guess you will be satisfied only with a blind magazine or tubular magazine?  Maybe a single-shot?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 09:39:14 PM »
Now the thompsons from Russia would be neat but don't think we will see those.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 09:46:51 PM »
I did not mean to imply that I would choose a M1 over a modern design for social work.  I was just commenting that if you're in the unenviable position of having no clips, you can still use it as a single shot rifle.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 10:46:05 PM »
Now the thompsons from Russia would be neat but don't think we will see those.
Some have come back ... only to have their receivers  cut up,  and parts sold to concerns that make CNC  dummy aluminum receivers, stick the parts on and sell them for use as wall-hangers.

I know...........

I bought one of 'em in 2006. :laugh: [tinfoil] [tinfoil] ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 12:33:52 AM »
Some have come back ... only to have their receivers  cut up,  and parts sold to concerns that make CNC  dummy aluminum receivers, stick the parts on and sell them for use as wall-hangers.

I know...........

I bought one of 'em in 2006. :laugh: [tinfoil] [tinfoil] ;)
Uh . . . I trust that wasn't an "80%" receiver sold with some jigs and fixtures . . .  :O  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 01:20:12 PM »
Uh . . . I trust that wasn't an "80%" receiver sold with some jigs and fixtures . . .  :O  >:D

The receiver is not milled out to accept the bolt and recoil spring, nor does it have an appropriate ramp in the front for the round to ride upon.   Maybe .... maybe ... if you did an enormous amount of machining. you could possible hollow it out correctly.  What you have as is is essentially a solid aluminum block with two threaded screwholes on bottom where it was attached to a mandrel for original CNC cutting.
Plus it's aluminum.  Originals were steel.  
I'm really not expert enough to know what all would really be necessary to make it into a working thing, or if a Thompson with an aluminum receiver is even a desirable thing.  
I sure won't be trying it.

There are better weapons out there anyway.....if I wanted to "go rogue"  I hardly need a sorta working recommissioned aluminum Tommy Gun when I have lighter more powerful weapons I know will work. >:D

But it IS a cool wall hanger!   :angel: ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero