Author Topic: What's the trendy new gun stuff?  (Read 2677 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
What's the trendy new gun stuff?
« on: April 11, 2017, 10:26:05 AM »
I know I should be aware of what's new and trendy with gun stuff, but I have a feeling I'm behind somehow. Nobody wants the stuff that I've been pushing.

What do you see as the latest and greatest products that people are trying to buy?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: What's the trendy new gun stuff?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 10:58:52 AM »
To be trying to buy, one must have money.

Oh, well.

The Interwebz buzz I'm seeing, a lot of it is about slide mounted optics on handguns.  I have yet to see one with my own eyes, and it wouldn't make much sense with the guns I actually carry.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:39:44 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 11:15:37 AM »
Not sure if this helps you.  Some stuff I am looking at and other ideas.

1.  Binary trigger.  I have a number of rifles this would go into.  Every site seems to have the same price which is over $400.  One video I saw on it shows it is not a simple trigger mechanism.

2.  Maybe later this year, I might get a centerfire pistol with RMR mounts to play with so I would need an RMR red dot sight. 

3.  If suppressors were easier to get, I would suggest that line of product.  The reason I haven't started on that is the several months wait for approval.  I have more guns with threaded barrels these days so it is only a matter of time before I take the plunge.

4.  How about muzzle devices and other AR bling stuff?  Might be a crowded market already.  I ordered a muzzle thread adapter from a silencer store site.

5.  There are several sites I have seen that sell accessories for various popular firearms.  Tandemkross is one.  Most of them make the products as far as I can tell.

6.  Moccasins? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 11:25:29 AM »
Mini red dot sights (MRDS) for rifles and pistols.

AR doodads are always popular

Night vision, lasers, lights.

Belts, holsters, pouches.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 11:27:17 AM »
I got Volquartsen upper for my Ruger Mark II.  I mounted an RMR red dot on it.  It is a little difficult at first to find the red dot, but my group sizes were much better than with the iron sites after a little practice.  You just need to get used to holding the pistol slightly different to find the dot rather than line up the irons.  

I haven't tried it on a centerfire handgun.  It has the potential to be every bit as good as red dots on rifles.  I figure a whole lot more pistols will be coming from the factory with RMR mounting points in the near future.  

I got one of the Canik TP9SF pistols recently. The retention holster it came with doesn't cover the top of the slide.  It wouldn't interfere with an RMR.  

I guess holster and carry rig accessories might be an idea.  tacticalholsters.com is one I have heard of lately.  I have been meaning to look at carry rigs that have the separate belt with all the stuff attached.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 12:01:41 PM »
Gun stuff? not much. You probably noticed this already, but sales have been down since November.

I'm kinda surprised you're not more into knives, maybe find some custom knifemakers that would rather stay in the shop than sell stuff on the internet?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 12:06:04 PM »
I went to my first gun show in a long time last month. While I was there the micro 9mm seemed to be the hot items.  Probably not much in accessories for these yet but there might be a demand. Pocket holster s tiny lasers and magazines.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 12:46:57 PM »
Integral handgun under-barrel suppressors might take off.

Example:

https://youtu.be/IOjXXQDZjV0

(Don't know why this principle could not be applied to some long arms.)

Terry, 230RN

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 01:29:52 PM »
I went to my first gun show in a long time last month. While I was there the micro 9mm seemed to be the hot items.  Probably not much in accessories for these yet but there might be a demand. Pocket holster s tiny lasers and magazines.

I am seeing this as well at the local shows and gun shops: small 9 mm and .380 pistols.  The gun shop closest to me tells me that they can hardly keep the Ruger LCP II in stock.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 02:49:53 PM »
Gun stuff? not much. You probably noticed this already, but sales have been down since November.

I'm kinda surprised you're not more into knives, maybe find some custom knifemakers that would rather stay in the shop than sell stuff on the internet?
From what I have heard, background checks haven't slumped a lot.  It is the distributor end that is slow since everyone stocked up last fall.  Also, I figure there are far fewer black rifle purchases.  A local store has the Ruger AR rifle for $499. 

I just bought a few magazines for my Canik TP9SF pistol.  J&G Sales was the only one that had them.  The usual people I shop for magazines didn't.  Magazines or accessories for the more obscure guns might be something to look into.  People like CDNN only carry so much. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 03:10:15 PM »
Ditch the gun stuff. Sell vape stuff, and LED lighting.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 03:21:00 PM »
M-LOK is teh new hotness
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 04:05:29 PM »
Sig-Brace all the things....  The non-SBR SBR category seems to be one of the few that's growing in the market.

Skirting the NFA is getting more and more popular.

The 14" Mossberg 500/590 with the birds-head grip that is neither SBS or AOW, which I put together about two years ago... is now a production item from Mossberg, and perpetually sold out.

Optics that people can actually afford, like Primary Arms and Vortex seem to still be doing strong. (IIRC, I know Monkeyleg's said the buy-in for them to become a dealer was exorbitantly high...)

Cerakoated Glocks in FDE, desert tan etc. with red anodized parts, and lots of extra milling on the slides like from Zev and their ilk seem to be popular. And the various YouTube "Bearded millennial/GenX veteran channel guys" seem to be showing them off.

Bullpups like the AUG and even moreso the Tavor SAR and X95 are still hot sellers. Prices have not fallen like the AR glut has.

High capacity futuristic shotguns seem to be doing well. Be they converted Saigas or Vepr's, the USTS-15 from Turkey, the Keltec KSG, the SRM 12 with the four rotating mag tubes.

Precision bolt action rifles seem to still be hot, be it Ruger's new precision rifle, or just aftermarket skeletonized stocks for them.

They're still damned expensive, like $1200-1500, but HK MP5/94 clones from Turkey seem to be on the rise.

I've been seeing a LOT of videos and pictures of hog hunts etc. from those ATN $1200-ish "digital night vision" scopes on various gun boards and Youtube. And while most of this ATN digital line that's under $2000 has no true electro-optic NV, or actual FLIR-Thermal, I don't see people making fun of it in the comments either.

Medium to high-end PCP bullpup airguns for pest elimination as a "hobby" of sorts, or for cheap quiet shooting in suburban backyards seems to be catching on.

As part of the Sig-Brace/arm-brace trend, 9mm AR pistol caliber carbines are becoming popular.

I have no idea how someone would be able to legally beat Ruger to the market, unless it's old enough no patents exist, but if someone could produce a Mini-14 in stainless, in the "GB Factory Folder" (pretty much what the A-Team had on their TV show) they'd sell a boatload of them, and be able to do it for over (but not too much over) $1000.

I expect for there to be a minor run on HiPoint 995 carbines when Hightower Armory starts shipping the bullpup conversion stock sometime this summer.

If someone could make a reliable .22 LR conversion slide and magazine for the brazillion S&W Shields in 9mm and .380 that have been sold in the past year or two, they'd sell a ton of them IMO.
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 07:15:27 PM »
AJ, I don't have an FFL and don't want to go through the hassle of having one. Not for the small markup that can be had today.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 08:30:43 PM »
I hear John M. Browning is working on a new automatic to sell to Colt.  :old:
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 08:49:59 PM »
I hear John M. Browning is working on a new automatic to sell to Colt.  :old:

I talked to Browning about that pistol before he approached Colt. Told him to lose the safety.

If there's demand for night vision stuff, I have access to ATN. I might try that. I should put a night scope on my AR along with .22 conversion and a suppressor, and use it for nailing the armadillos that are digging up my back yard.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 08:21:50 AM »
It might just be where I hang out, but 80%'s seem to be more popular now.  Both AR's, and Polymer 80's new Glock 80% kits.

Slide mounted Optics, as was mentioned.

Also as was mentioned faux-SBR.  I see a lot of those LAW side folding stocks/braces, short barrels, PDW stocks and the like.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 09:34:02 AM »
AJ, I don't have an FFL and don't want to go through the hassle of having one. Not for the small markup that can be had today.

Understood. My hope was that the ideas related to what kinds of firearms are still selling... it could be something you could glean an idea for accessories from.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 03:16:36 AM »
Suppressors are really hot, and may get much, much hotter if the Hearing Protection Act passes.   Even if it doesn't but generates lots and lots of heat and light about them. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 08:01:54 AM »
Ditch the gun stuff. Sell vape stuff, and LED lighting.

This is the most sensible suggestion offered so far.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 09:24:17 AM »
Suppressors are really hot, and may get much, much hotter if the Hearing Protection Act passes.   Even if it doesn't but generates lots and lots of heat and light about them. 

Yes... but the same hotness has the suppressor market depressed, that and 41p.  The long wait times from the 41p rush, the extra hassle of not being able to use your trust to avoid photos and prints, and waiting to see if the HPA passes... it's cut into sales in a big way.
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 11:40:41 AM »
Yes... but the same hotness has the suppressor market depressed, that and 41p.  The long wait times from the 41p rush, the extra hassle of not being able to use your trust to avoid photos and prints, and waiting to see if the HPA passes... it's cut into sales in a big way.
That. I was ready to set up a trust a year ago, but I'm now in 'wait and see' mode, since suppressors aren't a 'gotta have it now(or in 6-9 mos)' item for me.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 11:49:10 AM »
I haven't looked at the bill to see how it treats retail sales, but if a suppressor requires a 4473, an FFL is probably required. I also looked at becoming a dealer, but there was a reason I didn't pursue it.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2017, 01:11:05 PM »
I haven't looked at the bill to see how it treats retail sales, but if a suppressor requires a 4473, an FFL is probably required. I also looked at becoming a dealer, but there was a reason I didn't pursue it.

Yes, you need a FFL and a SOT.  Both are expensive if you only sell silencers.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 07:39:13 PM »
Anything MOAB is hot right now !!

I need MOAB add on for my AR-15.