Author Topic: US Drops a MOAB in Afghanistan  (Read 10826 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: US Drops a MOAB in Afghanistan
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2017, 06:50:17 PM »
We SHOULD have used it (or its predecessor) when Muqtada al-Sadr was holding one of his frequent and well-publicized "Death to America" rallies with his so-called Mahdi Arm in Sadr City.

But we didn't.  :mad:   :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2017, 07:14:23 PM »
USA Today had some math problems also.

I guess a "kilo" just means 2.2 lb of heroin to them?

Ah, well, what's a mere 3 orders of magnitude to a hophead?

MOAB 101:

https://youtu.be/RFTQZ48J3kU
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 07:45:24 PM by 230RN »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2017, 07:23:33 PM »
Shouldn't that have been 15 kilotons in the USA today "graphic?"

I guess a "kilo" just means 2.2 lb of heroin to them?

Ah, well, what's a mere 3 orders of magnitude to a hophead?

Beat me to it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grampster

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2017, 07:30:24 PM »
We SHOULD have used it (or its predecessor) when Muqtada al-Sadr was holding one of his frequent and well-publicized "Death to America" rallies with his so-called Mahdi Arm in Sadr City.

You are assuming that we actually want to win this war with Wahhabi/Salafi Islam.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2017, 08:24:26 PM »

I think several 2000 pound bombs spaced out would do that better.  Might not be quite the same message though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2017, 08:56:13 PM »
It's a lot more important for a message to be received than for it to be sent.

Given the distinct lack of success of messaging to Afghanistan from pretty much everyone ever, I have a lot of doubt this will make any meaningful difference in anything.

Blowing *expletive deleted*it up looks cool, though.

It's quite possible the message was for the fat kid.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2017, 11:37:22 PM »

I had the same thought. Also, this was supposed to be the day of the NorKoTerrorist's "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2017, 07:35:47 AM »
Oh dear, I seem to have triggered some of the Trump Hating Fucksticks on my Facebook friends list with a very direct post on this subject...

One of them is even questioning when I lost my humanity...

Well, never, but I did have it VERY tightly redefined on September 11, 2001, when I watched people falling/jumping from the top floors of the World Trade Center towers...

That's the day when I stopped caring about how we killed terrorists, why we killed terrorists, when we killed terrorists, or where we killed terrorists (although I do prefer them to be killed, very, very messily, in their own dung heaps). And, I really don't care that much about civilian casualties who might get caught up in the killing of terrorists, because as often as not, those people are either actively or passively complicit in their support for terrorists who attack the west.

Let the fire fly.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2017, 07:40:12 AM »
Oh dear, I seem to have triggered some of the Trump Hating Fucksticks on my Facebook friends list with a very direct post on this subject...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2017, 07:43:35 AM »
Funny you should pick that particular image...

Because the one guy accusing me of losing my humanity is... Aussie.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2017, 10:57:20 AM »
From what I gather, killing people and breaking things is about all their respond to.  This is a start.

Not really. Their people have been killed and their things have been broken by everyone from Mongols to the British Empire (multiple times), to Soviet Union. US has been breaking their things for a decade and a half.

The effect seems to be negligible.

That's a possibility.

He is also not very receptive to messaging, though.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

230RN

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2017, 12:28:48 PM »
Oh, I just noticed U.S.A Today's fine print on the bottom of that thing on the MOAB:

"NOTE: The GBU-42B conventional bomb has the second-largest explosive yield of any non-nuclear U:S. (sic) device. SOURCE USA TODAY research "

But the atomic artillery shell yielded only 72 tons eq. of TNT, that is, 0.072 kilotons of TNT eq.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W48

The W48 was 6.1 inches (155 mm) in diameter and 33.3 inches long. It came in two models, Mod 0 and Mod 1, which are reported to have weighed 118 and 128 pounds respectively. It had an explosive yield equivalent to 72 tons of TNT (0.072 kiloton), which is very small for a nuclear weapon.[1][2]

I'm confused.  Am I reading that "NOTE" wrong?

Do I need more coffee this morning?

Terry, 230RN

Cf also: Davy Crockett Atomic mortar:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crockett_(nuclear_device)
"The Mk-54 weighed about 51 lb (23 kg), with a yield equivalent to somewhere between 10 and 20 tons of TNT—very close to the minimum practical size and yield for a fission warhead."

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 12:46:53 PM by 230RN »

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2017, 12:35:12 PM »
So apparently the USAToday infographic was printed correctly in the print version.  Either that twitter version was fubar'd or it is faked.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

230RN

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2017, 01:04:41 PM »
https://youtu.be/mWZbrwb1mLQ

Test of artillery man-carryable nuke.

I'll go along with the twitter infographic as being FUBARed or Fake.

But I needed more coffee anyway.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2017, 01:27:15 PM »
So apparently the USAToday infographic was printed correctly in the print version.  Either that twitter version was fubar'd or it is faked.

Either way, it accomplished its purpose.  [tinfoil]

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2017, 02:51:31 PM »
Not really. Their people have been killed and their things have been broken by everyone from Mongols to the British Empire (multiple times), to Soviet Union. US has been breaking their things for a decade and a half.

So what you are saying is violence is all they know which is pretty much what I said. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2017, 04:21:29 PM »
It looks like they chose to use the MOAB because it'd collapse the tunnels they were using, preventing future use of them as shelters and transfer systems.

The physics get quite interesting.  In tunnels, fragmentation(the biggest killer in open terrain) is generally non-lethal very quickly because twisty tunnels stop fragments.  However, the restricted space can vastly increase the distance where overpressure will kill.  But a third effect can take place with the really big bombs - the explosion pushes out all the breathable air and they suffocate before sufficient fresh air can reach them.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2017, 04:39:20 PM »
It looks like they chose to use the MOAB because it'd collapse the tunnels they were using, preventing future use of them as shelters and transfer systems.

The physics get quite interesting.  In tunnels, fragmentation(the biggest killer in open terrain) is generally non-lethal very quickly because twisty tunnels stop fragments.  However, the restricted space can vastly increase the distance where overpressure will kill.  But a third effect can take place with the really big bombs - the explosion pushes out all the breathable air and they suffocate before sufficient fresh air can reach them.

Putting thermobaric munitions into the mouth of caves in that region was popular about 14 years ago. Probably still is or soon will be.  ;)

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/blu-118.htm

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2017, 06:15:24 PM »

The effect seems to be negligible.

That's because they attribute every setback to the Will of Allah, and just keep on keeping on.

Which is why eventually we're going to have to nuke the entire area and turn it into a sea of glass.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2017, 07:17:43 PM »

Yeah, I heard today that the blast killed 32 terrorists, and figured the tunnels must have been the target.  That would be a lot of time and money for just 32.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2017, 07:29:58 PM »
Yeah, I heard today that the blast killed 32 terrorists, and figured the tunnels must have been the target.  That would be a lot of time and money for just 32.

I heard the same thing thing, but they didn't say or they don't know, if any people where in the tunnels.

Either way that's 32 least problems!! 

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2017, 09:31:29 PM »
That's because they attribute every setback to the Will of Allah, and just keep on keeping on.

Which is why eventually we're going to have to nuke the entire area and turn it into a sea of glass.
Make Afghanistan Glass Again?

I get tired of the bombing makes more terrorists tripe. Yep, sure does, noob untrained ones. Easier to kill and less capable of sophisticated attacks. Rinse lather repeat.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2017, 11:01:50 AM »
Apparently the other latest thing is claiming a single MOAB costs $314 million. Which was the development cost. Actual unit cost is $170k. Roughly on par with normal dumb bomb cost scaling. If you divide out the MOAB dev costs by number of units made, works out to $16 million per.

We can make it a lot cheaper by dropping more of them.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2017, 12:30:23 PM »
Looks like the kill numbers are going up, and the MSM is starting to report Rev's cost numbers.

http://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2017/04/15/number-of-isis-fighters-killed-by-moab-rises-cost-conscious-lefties-remain-unimpressed/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2017, 12:35:19 PM »
Apparently the other latest thing is claiming a single MOAB costs $314 million. Which was the development cost. Actual unit cost is $170k. Roughly on par with normal dumb bomb cost scaling. If you divide out the MOAB dev costs by number of units made, works out to $16 million per.

We can make it a lot cheaper by dropping more of them.

Econmoy of scale is a wonderful thng.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams