Author Topic: Reno  (Read 946 times)

zahc

• friend
Reno
« on: April 13, 2017, 09:07:43 PM »
Anyone live in Reno or Sparks? That's where my latest job prospect is.

I think Nevada is pretty gun-friendly, but not sure about how other things compare to my current Raleigh-Durham location. In particular, I am having a realtor take me to see some areas, and wondering if there are good or bad places in Sparks.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Reno
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 09:27:43 PM »
Gunsmith is the former Reno expert. Fun town to visit.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 09:50:19 PM »
Better be careful. I hear people get shot there just for entertainment...
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 11:27:49 PM »
Dang!

Now that I'm gone APS moves in, a conspiracy? I see chemtrails.

If you got an OK job its great.
It definitely has a seedy side, but you can live there and never know, just avoid the downtown drinking scene.
A Cabelas that's well stocked, a few good gun stores, regular gun shows.
politically most folks are out of it. gun friendly ish , no one knows the laws - which like everywhere else written by people that don't like or carry guns .
lots of really nice neighborhoods, the spanish springs part of sparks is gorgeous - Sun Valley is cheaper, and lot of felons.
Reno has got some real gems of neighborhoods.
24/7 drinking - serious gamblers and boozers live near downtown -

gun laws are pretty good, shall issue, CCW is good for background check, no waiting period, private sales recently outlawed but law enforcement refuses to prosecute ( for now ) open carry w/out permit is legal.
Some idiot will tell you that if you have a ccw you have to conceal, no one knows the laws.
no permit needed to keep a gun in your glove compartment , switch blades recently legalized.
shop at Winco.
any other questions?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 11:30:25 PM »
 let me know where the houses you are looking at are, I was a taxi driver, I'll know the inside scoop
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 09:56:33 AM »
The comments about nobody knows the laws is funny. That was my experience in Montana... I would always ask people about what was legal and not only did nobody know, they were slightly embarrassed and I got the sense that I broke some protocol by asking.

I would be working in the Reno-Tahoe industrial center which is nowhere. I think it's​ right between Fernley and Sparks proper. Based on my research so far, I might have to spend more on a house there, but cost of living otherwise looks comparable. I'm going to balk if I can't get a house for less than 300k.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 03:15:31 PM »
yup, it's  sort of nowhere.
if I had an ok job there i would live in Fernley, you could get a decent house there for 150....   for 300, a really nice one.
Fallon is another option, its further away but an active gun community.
I know folks that live in Fallon - Fernley and only go to Reno once in awhile for costco/whole foods/winco/Trader Joes.
If you like quiet family stuff "ferntucky" the fallon/fernley area is cool.
If you're more city oriented Reno/Sparks would be better.

Reno likes to pretend its a real city like San Francisco or NY, so the downtown corridor and "midtown" is blue, plus burningman has an art scene that looks good on the outside.

people from CA have moved there seeking freedom and lower taxes and then vote for the same type of idiot that ruined CA.