Author Topic: Security camera?  (Read 2107 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Security camera?
« on: April 13, 2017, 11:53:27 PM »
I think we may have some vandalism going on outside our church, and I am thinking of buying one or two inexpensive cameras that we can use for at least a few weeks, to see if anything happens again. I would appreciate recommendations for cheapo cameras, and any other equipment that would be needed to run them.

The deal is that we have some outdoor lights mounted on boxes on the ground. I found one of the lights a few weeks ago, with its mount busted, and lying in the grass. I was able to fix it, and sometime in the past week, it happened again (can't be repaired this time, w/o buying new parts). It seems suspicious to me that the same thing would happen to the same light, about 2-3 weeks apart.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jim147

• friends
Re: Security camera?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 12:14:29 AM »
A trail cam if you have a place to hide it. But may get a lot of picks of dogs and birds and other things you don't want
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 08:50:51 AM »
Yep, game/trail camera was what I was thinking. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 09:04:04 AM »
A game camera was my first thought, but the ones I've seen so far start at ~$99. I was thinking more like $20/each.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 09:11:51 AM »
I don't think you'll find anything worthwhile named "security camera" at that price. Your best bet might be to see if anyone in your church has an old smartphone in a drawer somewhere and use that. If you have wifi in the area you can remote monitor the site.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 09:55:22 AM »
Check with your insurer. Sometimes they offer discounts for security equipment. It's entirely possible they may offer enough of a discount to buy a simple camera system. Sam's has Samsung 4- and 8-camera systems for $299 and $399, respectively.

Brad

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 01:50:15 PM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 06:33:32 PM »
Take a look at what Woot.com has for sale right now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 10:02:18 PM »
A game camera was my first thought, but the ones I've seen so far start at ~$99. I was thinking more like $20/each.

Do I hear $30?

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/wildgame-innovations-7mp-ir-game-trail-camera?a=2143211
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 11:10:03 PM »
You need to check woot frequently. Stock changes often.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 12:44:13 AM »
Harbor Freight has some cheapo security cameras in the $30 price range - but I believe they are not self-contained, and need to be plugged into a DVR or something of the sort to record.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 09:51:32 PM »
At one time we had U.S. Cellular cell service and had accumulated a bunch of "points". Hottie at the local kiosk suggested wireless security cameras. We gao 2 free. Turns out they eat data minutes, but I've been told you can run them on Wifi without burning time. Dunno how!!??
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 09:15:21 AM »
This one?

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/zmodo-720p-wi-fi-ip-camera-with-audio-4?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_elec_12_3

The reviews on Amazon for that are mixed.  I've been looking at something like that, but this looks like yet another one that requires a subscription to the vendor's service.

The one I've been looking at (that supposedly doesn't require any subscription to access) is this one.  I'm trying to verify there's no ongoing subscription fee before buying it though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XK54DYY
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

barbaraterrell

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 06:50:12 AM »
I don't think you'll find anything worthwhile named "security camera" at that price. Your best bet might be to see if anyone in your church has an old smartphone in a drawer somewhere and use that. If you have wifi in the area you can remote monitor the site.

That sounds to be a great option.