Author Topic: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare  (Read 1078 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
« on: April 15, 2017, 09:36:04 AM »
This was an interesting read, and I think I might spring for the Kindle book. I didn't know about the sabotage of German tanks pre-D Day. One has to wonder how different that offensive would have been had that tank division made it to Normandy in 72 hours vs 17 days.

Also interesting was the general distaste for guerilla warfare by members of parliament. Must be left over hostility over that dust up in America a ways back. :)

http://thefederalist.com/2017/04/14/the-men-who-fought-hitler-and-fought-dirty/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 10:33:28 AM »
Good read, right up until the end...

The purpose of SF units is not to replace conventional forces, but to train up indigenous forces to be the boots on the ground in their own country.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 10:58:35 AM »
Good read, right up until the end...

The purpose of SF units is not to replace conventional forces, but to train up indigenous forces to be the boots on the ground in their own country.

Yeah, that was the original purpose. But these days, their primary mission is high risk low headcount selective operations. Their secondary role is working as advisors to Afghani and Iraqi security forces. Actually, lot of frontline units got shunted onto that duty so SF guys could do the more sneaky missions. She is entirely right that we are relying on special operations units to the point where we are burning them out and trying to get things done on the cheap.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 10:13:11 PM »
As, man, I was gonna post this. Get out of my echo-chamber, Ben. :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 07:09:22 AM »
Yeah, that was the original purpose. But these days, their primary mission is high risk low headcount selective operations. Their secondary role is working as advisors to Afghani and Iraqi security forces. Actually, lot of frontline units got shunted onto that duty so SF guys could do the more sneaky missions. She is entirely right that we are relying on special operations units to the point where we are burning them out and trying to get things done on the cheap.

Some story popped up in my news feed about drugs being rampant in the SEALS right now.  I'd say there's a connection to that tempo.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 10:10:38 AM »
Parallel to this thread...

I've often suspected that a ferocious "no 'holds' barred" Brooklyn street fighter could take any proponent of formalized martial arts any day of the week.

I watched that scene in "My Cousin Vinnie" where he strides up to the big guy and delivers a sudden overwhelming sucker punch.  Laughed like hell over that one.

Yeah, movies, but the proposed principle pertains...

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 10:37:51 AM »
There are no rules in a street fight.  The sucker punch is the best defense. :old:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 11:08:27 AM »
There are no rules in a street fight.  The sucker punch is the best defense. :old:

https://youtu.be/W9IuBiP_JPo?t=23
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 11:11:53 AM »

Yeah, that's what Rangers, SEAL's, Marine Snipers/Force Recon are doing.  The Army's standard Special Forces guys (Green Beanies) are on the ground currently giving the Iraqi's some backbone in the fight against ISIS.  (With some help from US conventional forces and contractors)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.