Author Topic: Car kit  (Read 7566 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Car kit
« on: April 15, 2017, 06:36:25 PM »

So, I had a spare Pelican iM2400 case and decided to reorganize my car supplies into one neat package.

I thought over the most usual things I need while traveling in my car and tossed in useful stuff. It's not meant for the zombie apocalypse or whatnot. Just everyday stuff.

- Some simple medical stuff. Bandaids, gauze, scalpels, gloves, tourniquet, etc. Nothing that would be impacted by cold or heat.
- Couple cheap $1 flashlights. Some spare AA and AAA batteries. Batteries in one, out of the other two.
- Some USB cables, car charger, USB battery pack, USB wall charger
- Some matches, a lighter, some tea candles
- Some pens, pencil and small notebook
- Fire extinquisher
- Window smasher
- Small amount of cash and change
- Duct tape, knife, scissors
- Some car stuff. Fix-a-flat, tire pressure gauge, fuses, etc. Nothing special.

Planning on filling in the rest with a change of clothing. Also would be padding.

Still need to snag some spare lightbulbs for all the different lights. I'm planning on tossing in a cheap used smartphone as a backup. I'm leery of putting a firearm in the case. Still debating on that point.

Any other thoughts?

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Car kit
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 06:56:45 PM »
I wouldn't go beyond that. Sounds like a pretty comprehensive list.

If you go by internet guidelines then you wind up with an expedition vehicle's loadout  ;/

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 07:05:26 PM »
Pretty similar to mine. Additions I have are:

Sturdy shoes: Boots, running shoes, whatever, but in case you have to walk and you happen to be driving around wearing flip flops or business shoes or something.

Water. I just keep a liter bottle from the store with the purchase date on it.

Food: I keep a small Mainstay food pack. Non-thirst inducing and can take temperature extremes. Good for five years.

Warmth: In addition to the spare clothes (socks, chonies, pants and a t-shirt), I always keep a jacket in the vehicles as well as a cheap, thin down vest. Also an Adventure Medical bivy and space blanket.

The clothes and spare jackets, vests, whatever and trail shoes are not just for emergency. I've had several occasions taking a drive somewhere in which I ran into a cool area to go for a quick hike or stop to fish a stream. Having spare clothes and shoes that I can get wet and or muddy lets me take advantage of stumbling across areas to explore.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 07:06:44 PM »
You really need a 72hour car kit:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 07:17:27 PM »
Man I thought you might want to buy my '57 t-bird kit car.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 08:14:13 PM »
My car stuff is a little out of hand, but my commute is rather non standard.

Add a Glock shovel, SOL sport utility blanket, jumper cables, and water to yours and call it good.

Oh yeah, and a serpentine belt. Most likely failure item other than tires. Buy 2, change it and keep the other in the car. Or buy one if you are cheap, change it and keep the take off as a get off the road belt.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 08:53:48 PM »
I've actually become a big fan of the lithium jump starters over cables. Keep one in both my vehicles.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 09:07:30 PM »
Add cash to that list.  Maybe loose change, too.
Maybe glow sticks.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 09:50:21 PM »
The case, minus clothing. Ripped out the lid foam to make room, works great. No rattle. If I want to add more stuff, can remove the water bottles. Everything not inherently waterproof was bagged. The loadmaster verified contents proper to closing up the case.

Case in the car. Yes, I need to vacuum it the trunk.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 10:05:25 PM »
Use lithium primaries for the cheap flashlights, even if they're AA batteries. They won't corrode, tolerate the heat  and cold off a car better, and have a longer shelf life.
I promise not to duck.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 10:08:31 PM »
Only one suggested,

Add a way to secure the case, so it not sliding around the trunk.

I went around sharp turn today and sent a ammo can flying. :facepalm:  

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 10:09:06 PM »
Finding your car would be like something out of fallout...
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 10:20:25 PM »
My car stuff is a little out of hand, but my commute is rather non standard.

Add a Glock shovel, SOL sport utility blanket, jumper cables, and water to yours and call it good.

Oh yeah, and a serpentine belt. Most likely failure item other than tires. Buy 2, change it and keep the other in the car. Or buy one if you are cheap, change it and keep the take off as a get off the road belt.

I think I'll toss in a tarp, or more likely, a moving blanket. They're dirt cheap, and will work as a trunk tarp as well as a normal blanket. Harbor Freight has them pretty cheap. Everything is meant to be practical and to be actually used at some point as opposed to apocalypse or any other unlikely scenario. Hence, no food or whatnot.

Mini shovel is a good idea. During winter, kitty litter.

I have a jump pack. Not sure whether to go with jump pack or jumper cables. It's not a minor choice because both are pretty big. I'm leaning towards jump pack, it includes USB port, a light and air compressor in one package.

Serpentine belt, check. Any thoughts from the hive mind on brand? Have found Dayco, Gates, MasterPro, Daylast, Bando and ContiTech. Or OEM, of course.

I also thought about simple tools. Couple screw drivers, allen wrenches, etc. Not a full tool box, just some basics.

I've actually become a big fan of the lithium jump starters over cables. Keep one in both my vehicles.

I'm very very leery of that because I use a lot of lithium batteries. They have a narrow temperature range for optimal use. Toss your lithium battery in the freezer for 30 minutes and then try to use it. Or leave it outside during winter. Also, if you live in the desert or whatnot, hide it in the coolest part of your car. It probably (not definitely) is enough for a compact car. Larger you get, less likely it is to work. No shot for trunks. Maybe, maybe not for mini vans, SUVs or larger sedans.

Add cash to that list.  Maybe loose change, too.
Maybe glow sticks.

Already done. Money and a cell phone are the two more critical emergency tools one can possess
Glow sticks I pondered, but went with LED flashlights instead. Should last longer, more weather independent.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 10:34:53 PM »
I think I'll toss in a tarp, or more likely, a moving blanket. They're dirt cheap, and will work as a trunk tarp as well as a normal blanket. Harbor Freight has them pretty cheap. Everything is meant to be practical and to be actually used at some point as opposed to apocalypse or any other unlikely scenario. Hence, no food or whatnot.

I'm very very leery of that because I use a lot of lithium batteries. They have a narrow temperature range for optimal use. Toss your lithium battery in the freezer for 30 minutes and then try to use it. Or leave it outside during winter. Also, if you live in the desert or whatnot, hide it in the coolest part of your car. It probably (not definitely) is enough for a compact car. Larger you get, less likely it is to work. No shot for trunks. Maybe, maybe not for mini vans, SUVs or larger sedans.

These are perfect for bodies...  https://www.cargoapron.com/

I'm impressed with those LiPoly brick starters, but yeah, they don't have the greatest self discharge specs, and there's also the issue of the whole race to the bottom of Chinese products.  Who makes the good ones? Who knows? They have a ton of amp hours in them, but that's what also makes them so 'splodey too. Although, when the next gen short proof ones with non flammable electrolyte become standard, the cars main battery might switch to them.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 10:54:35 PM »
A fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 11:19:49 PM »

So, added work gloves. Can't believe I forgot that.

Pondering it with some beers. I think I'll find two flat boxes. One for some simple tools (screw drivers, allen wrenches, maybe a socket set), another for spare car parts (belts, fuses, light bulbs). Put it under the front seats, as I've always hated stuff rolling under there already. Have to make sure clearance is fine so it doesn't interfere with the seats moving around. That'd solve three problems. Keeping random crap out from under the seats, keeping the stuff easily accessible but out of the way, and keep down the number of stuff in the trunk. The trunk case is mostly meant for stuff outside the car. The car seat boxes would be exclusively for issues relating to the vehicle.

Boomhauer hit it on the head. I just want anything I have needed in the past handy, I'm not heading for the north pole.

Only one suggested,

Add a way to secure the case, so it not sliding around the trunk.

I went around sharp turn today and sent a ammo can flying. :facepalm:  

Yeah, I was pondering that. Not sure how. Easiest would be to cut two slits in the trunk liner, but I'm leery of that. Prettier would be mounting D-clips to the side trim, but I don't think it is strong enough. The only mounts are two really nice struts on the top of the trunk. But I don't think I want to put the Pelican case on top of the truck.

It didn't seem too bad driving around today. The bottom of the case isn't smooth and polished as sheet steel like an ammo can. I could put loop material from hook and loop on the bottom of the case for more traction. Cheap non-permanent solution if nothing else.

Use lithium primaries for the cheap flashlights, even if they're AA batteries. They won't corrode, tolerate the heat  and cold off a car better, and have a longer shelf life.

Very good point. I used normal alkalines because I've been switching over to Eneloop batteries for everything in the house. Don't need or want them, but haven't wanted to throw them out. I liked the notion of using something surplus I had lying around. Everything in the case was stuff I had lying around, minus the fire extinguisher and window smasher. But every vehicle I own or ever will own has both of them. So total cost was... nothing. Besides stuff I already purchased, anyways. Spending a couple bucks on lithium AAA/AA wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Finding your car would be like something out of fallout...

I'll add in some bottlecaps.  =D

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 11:31:09 PM »
These are perfect for bodies...  https://www.cargoapron.com/

I'm impressed with those LiPoly brick starters, but yeah, they don't have the greatest self discharge specs, and there's also the issue of the whole race to the bottom of Chinese products.  Who makes the good ones? Who knows? They have a ton of amp hours in them, but that's what also makes them so 'splodey too. Although, when the next gen short proof ones with non flammable electrolyte become standard, the cars main battery might switch to them.

I got my info from:  http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/jump-starters/buying-guide

Haven't checked out this site in detail but looked promising:   http://jumpstarterlab.com/#Our_Recommended_Top_5_Lithium_Jump_Starters

I absolutely love the concept. I'm just leery of how well they work under realistic circumstances like a dead battery or cold weather. This is the model I've been seriously eyeing up. Anything smaller is out of the question for me: https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB70-UltraSafe-Lithium-Starter/dp/B016UG6PWE/
Teardown video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LurYulow0Y

Much more expensive ($175) than a lead acid battery. On paper, under ideal circumstances, the 2000 amp model is serious overkill. In cold weather? Dunno. My Stanley fatmax was $80 ish and has worked in freezing conditions. Also, max temperature is 140 degrees, which is entirely possible on a very hot day.

Also buying one of those car aprons, thanks for the link. Need to buy some concrete over near few weeks. Perfect solution at $20.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 11:48:45 PM by RevDisk »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 11:46:45 PM »
100' paracord
Detcord.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 11:50:27 PM »

Teardown video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LurYulow0Y

Could there be any more background noise in that video.  Is there is sprinkler running  next to the camera ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2017, 12:01:49 AM »
Could there be any more background noise in that video.  Is there is sprinkler running  next to the camera ??

Didn't care what the guy said. Think I muted the vid. It's an 8 amp hour battery at 12V, which isn't bad. Normal standard small car battery is about 45 amp hours. Theoretically, you'd be able to start a car with a disconnected battery. None of the components looked subpar. Nothing that screamed fire hazard aside from the battery chemistry. Spacing is good for thermals.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 12:17:43 AM »
100' paracord
Detcord.

Maybe. I haven't needed paracord very much outside of home, camping or work. Probably should. It's however expensive.

Best and only near military paracord I found was 5col. Rothco as cheaper, lesser alternative.
https://5col.com/collections/mil-spec-paracord/products/genuine-750-paracord-type-4-mil-c-5040h-pia-c-5040-11-core-strands-usa-iv?variant=1033100628
$17/100ft

https://www.rothco.com/product/rothco-nylon-paracord-type-iii-500LB
$12/100ft

Car part box may or may not get a 6 or 12 foot tow strap. I'm leaning towards not. In my truck I have a 30 foot tow strap: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I60HV8/

Mostly used for pulling small tree stumps. Works awesome. $20, light and incredibly strong. 12 foot tow straps are $10. Why anyone would use chain these days is beyond me. Weak, dangerous, heavy and any link can be a weak point.

Thoughts on whether or not to include a tow strap?

dm1333

• friend

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2017, 07:07:34 AM »
Maybe. I haven't needed paracord very much outside of home, camping or work. Probably should. It's however expensive.

Best and only near military paracord I found was 5col. Rothco as cheaper, lesser alternative.
https://5col.com/collections/mil-spec-paracord/products/genuine-750-paracord-type-4-mil-c-5040h-pia-c-5040-11-core-strands-usa-iv?variant=1033100628
$17/100ft

https://www.rothco.com/product/rothco-nylon-paracord-type-iii-500LB
$12/100ft

Car part box may or may not get a 6 or 12 foot tow strap. I'm leaning towards not. In my truck I have a 30 foot tow strap: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I60HV8/

Mostly used for pulling small tree stumps. Works awesome. $20, light and incredibly strong. 12 foot tow straps are $10. Why anyone would use chain these days is beyond me. Weak, dangerous, heavy and any link can be a weak point.

Thoughts on whether or not to include a tow strap?

Everyone should have one in their vehicle.
You're also missing jumper cables.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 07:17:19 AM »
Jumper cables. The boxes are useless...always dead when you need them due to shitty batteries.

On the serpentine belt... Are you able to change your belt on the side of the road practically, especially if you drive a FWD car? Does it take special tooling like a serpentine belt wrench kit? If so forget the spare you're gonna be on the hook to get home anyway. Before you stock a spare of anything consider the practicality of it.

Also on the belts with the modern materials they are made of you can no longer rely on cracking as the wear/age indicator. It's now thickness. Gates will send you a gauge for free IIRC

Just keep in mind what you can and cannot do with a modern car on the side of the road when building your tools and spare kits. I wouldn't get too crazy beyond jumper cables, fuses, maybe bulbs, and so own and some very basic tools.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 07:55:19 AM »
Jumper cables. The boxes are useless...always dead when you need them due to shitty batteries.

On the serpentine belt... Are you able to change your belt on the side of the road practically, especially if you drive a FWD car? Does it take special tooling like a serpentine belt wrench kit? If so forget the spare you're gonna be on the hook to get home anyway. Before you stock a spare of anything consider the practicality of it.

Also on the belts with the modern materials they are made of you can no longer rely on cracking as the wear/age indicator. It's now thickness. Gates will send you a gauge for free IIRC

Just keep in mind what you can and cannot do with a modern car on the side of the road when building your tools and spare kits. I wouldn't get too crazy beyond jumper cables, fuses, maybe bulbs, and so own and some very basic tools.

Agreed.  Unless you've got an older car, even a modern pickup is a pain in the ass on the side of the road to fix.  And honestly unless you're rolling high mileage you shouldn't need to be fixing serpentine belts etc on the side of the road.

A good and often overlooked tool is a battery brush.  Contacts get nasty and you need to clean them on a camping trip in the middle of BFE...and can't find anything to use.  A small box of baking soda too.

For the things you decide on for sure, a vacuum sealer is a great way to organize and protect the things you pack.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”