Author Topic: Car kit  (Read 7583 times)

Jim147

• friends
Re: Car kit
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2017, 07:03:47 PM »
I toss a couple of the led walmart bin $1.00 lights everywhere . The batteries are them them just need to pull the plastic out.

Over my years of working on cars and on the farm I have several custom made tools around here.

I always carry a full size 1/2" breaker bar and 3/4" socket because I hate those stamped steel lug wrenches
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2017, 07:59:32 PM »
Okay. That's a different story than using them for yourself. :)

Ayep.

Determined to stick with 18650 flashlights. Found a ton of decent ones on Amazon with good reviews.

Case hasn't moved an inch yesterday and today. So, no need for any kind of straps or latches.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2017, 09:49:23 AM »
Determined to stick with 18650 flashlights. Found a ton of decent ones on Amazon with good reviews.

Got a couple of good 18650 lights, and they're great when I've remembered to keep everything charged, but the ability to pick up AA and AAAs at pretty much every store on the planet keeps me carrying a 2AAA light in my pocket all the time.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2017, 11:59:28 AM »
Don't understand the serp belt hate. It's cheap, once you change one it should be a five minute process. I have had more than one fail at less than 100k. I may be spoiled, last transverse motor I had was circa 1998 and a belt tried to waylay a honeymoon. Ford v8 was actually the most irritating. Mercedes was easy. Subarus generally are but the idlers and tensioner are fragile, hence the reason I had all of those spare in the car.

Way I see it, quick roadside fix or a long walk to the parts store, or a tow, or stranded at night. Snow iced the pulley and kicked them off, any other myriad of ways, I have fixd a few on the shoulder.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2017, 12:53:16 PM »
Maybe so on some RWD vehicles...but even on my old Silverado a normal socket and ratchet were cumbersome unless the radiator was out. The last FWD I worked on no way in hell would the lug wrench do the job.

All of my vehicles have been relatively easy to work on, FWD and RWD... otoh, a coworker once asked me to look at her VW (not sure which model) because a shop wanted )1200 to change an alternator. I took a 5 second look at it and said "uhuh, pay the $1200- the engine or a significant amount of body and suspension parts have to come out to get even close to it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2017, 03:04:40 PM »
All of my vehicles have been relatively easy to work on, FWD and RWD... otoh, a coworker once asked me to look at her VW (not sure which model) because a shop wanted )1200 to change an alternator. I took a 5 second look at it and said "uhuh, pay the $1200- the engine or a significant amount of body and suspension parts have to come out to get even close to it.

Or put the $1200 toward something less ridiculously designed.

For all the Subaru's oddities, the alternator was right there on top and took maybe 15 minutes to change in an AutoZone parking lot.