Author Topic: The "I carry a 1911" Starterpack  (Read 8781 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: The "I carry a 1911" Starterpack
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 08:50:05 AM »
I think that's called eBay.

It's interesting to me that so many recent articles I've read about the 1911 take care to explain the difference between it and the striker-fired handguns that everyone apparently starts out with now.  :old:

I got interested in 1911s (and guns in general) while in my early twenties, and started carrying a sidearm (a 1911) at the hoary, old age of 36.  I'm an ancient 40 years old at present, and looking to add a new-fangled 9mm to my carry options, probably one o' them plastic, striker jobs. If I live long enough.

No need to rush things.

Or "buy a Glock and be done with it."  Or lately, I guess, "buy a Sig 320 and be done with it."

(A huge annoyance for me.  Yuuuge.   Thread after thread on any given gunboard asking after preferences for striker vs. hammer for this purpose or that, where the questioner and participants are often unclear on the concepts and distinctions.     :facepalm:)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 09:01:18 AM »
Last year, I saved up around $1,000 for a gun purchase.  Went into it with the idea of getting a 1911.  As I shopped around, I came to realize that $1,000 wasn't enough for what I was looking for in a 1911, unless I went with one of the "second tier" companies like Rock Island.  While I was at the LGS looking, they had a SIG P225 on sale, in my price range, with night sights, a third magazine, and some really cool G-10 grips.  I bought it.  I guess that makes me, at age 48, somewhere between the 1911 curmudgeon and a young whipper-snapper Glock guy.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2017, 09:06:36 AM »
...one of the "second tier" companies like Rock Island. 

Has Rock Island achieved second tier status now? Good for them!   :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 09:08:40 AM »
Chambered in .45AARP?

Who am I kidding? I carry a revolver and I just got my first AARP offer.

I've carried a revolver as my CCW of choice since I was 21 years old.

I have carried a semi-auto at times, but probably 75% of the time that I've carried it's been a revolver.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 09:50:04 AM »
Well, I've got the shoes at least....

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2017, 10:27:26 AM »
Last year, I saved up around $1,000 for a gun purchase.  Went into it with the idea of getting a 1911.  As I shopped around, I came to realize that $1,000 wasn't enough for what I was looking for in a 1911, unless I went with one of the "second tier" companies like Rock Island.  While I was at the LGS looking, they had a SIG P225 on sale, in my price range, with night sights, a third magazine, and some really cool G-10 grips.  I bought it.  I guess that makes me, at age 48, somewhere between the 1911 curmudgeon and a young whipper-snapper Glock guy.

Your grandfather is so disappointed.   And I would definitely consider Rock Island first tier...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2017, 10:42:21 AM »
My 1911 was a Norinco and was a very well made, 100% parts compatible and reliable gun BUT the platform just didn't endear itself to me and I sold it.

I was never a Glock fanboy either until I bought a G19 3rd Gen for the wife and I shot it a few times. Now I think it's a GREAT carry gun!

:old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2017, 11:11:19 AM »
Just to be clear, I do have a 1911, a Springfield 1911-A1 Milspec. Nice handgun, but I'd never carry it as my CCW.

If I were to carry a .45, it would be my S&W 4506.

If I were to carry a single-action-type handgun, that would be my Browning Hi Power.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2017, 11:29:32 AM »
Seeing as the wife repossessed her G19, I carry my old S&W Model 59 now.

She sits right next to me here when I'm not out and about.

:old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2017, 01:31:45 PM »
1911 comes in 3 sizes, if one of them won't do it maybe you could throw your bottle of Midol at them.

I know of at least six sizes, and that doesn't include the Para double stacks.

• Full-size (Government) - 5"
  • Commander - 4-1/4"
  • Officers ACP - 3-1/2"
  • Defender - 3"
  • Para Slim Hawg - 3" w/ shorter grip frame
  • Springfield EMP - 3" w/ truncated frame

The Slim Hawg, especially, is hardly larger than most "pocket" pistols.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2017, 01:41:36 PM »
You all forgot to mention the REAL 1911... Not that pussy pop gun... :rofl:

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2017, 02:35:04 PM »
LONGSLIDE!
MOLON LABE!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2017, 11:53:04 PM »
Just to be clear, I do have a 1911, a Springfield 1911-A1 Milspec. Nice handgun, but I'd never carry it as my CCW.

If I were to carry a .45, it would be my S&W 4506.

If I were to carry a single-action-type handgun, that would be my Browning Hi Power.

yrs ago, i had a subscription to gun test magazine, they gave glowing reviews about  Springfield 1911-A1 Milspec, why wouldn't you carry it?

I've been wanting one for yrs, of course i would have a lot of practice to do to feel comfortable because I too usally carry a revolver  ( and or a glock in my case )

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2017, 06:55:37 AM »
Well, I'm not at all a fan of carrying a single-action pistol C&L. But if I HAD to carry such a pistol, I'd rather carry my 14-round Hi Power. But I'd not be all that crazy about carrying it, either.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2017, 11:12:22 AM »
For carry, I switch between a Springfield XD Mod 2 in 45 and a Glock 19.  I just got the Glock 19, but I like it a lot so far so I expect it will be my 9 mm carry gun going forward. 

A co-worker has begun shooting IDPA matches lately and telling me about it.  It has gotten me thinking about the guns I have that would be interesting to shoot with in a match like that.  I need to find a good OWB holster I can use for revolvers I have along with other guns.  I have a S&W 45 ACP revolver and a Ruger Match Champion in 357 mag that I would like to carry occasionally if I had a good holster.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2017, 11:32:25 AM »
This is my primary carry gun, an S&W 042. (that one's not mine, but it is identical except for the grips).

Kind of uncommon, as it was a limited run uncatalogged item.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2017, 11:45:11 AM »
^ 404 error.

Try this:

http://www.tactical-life.com/combat-handguns/sw-m42-centennial-38spl-p/

I think that's the one.  Looks just like my Airweight, my own primary carry gun, but I've also got a Lasergrip on it.  Which reminds me, I've got to change the battery in it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 12:00:29 PM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2017, 11:53:46 AM »
You're kidding?

I'm seeing the picture plain as day.

It's from the picture archive at Gunauction.com

And no. They're NOT the same.

The 042 (notice the preceding 0) was a limited production non-catalog item in 1992.

Indications are that S&W was trying a new finishing process, and it failed, on 642s, so they were polished down and refinished in matte black, with some being given more of a gloss blue finish.

Production was limited to something fewer than 3,000 042s were made.

They're Airweights, but not marked airweight.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2017, 11:59:46 AM »
This is my primary carry gun, an S&W 042. (that one's not mine, but it is identical except for the grips).

I've got a 642 I picked up a few years ago. I'd have to look it up but it was some sort of special run. No lawyer lock. I carry it when I want something smaller.than my compact 1911.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2017, 12:02:49 PM »
I think Mtnbkr has one of those recent run 642s with no lock, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2017, 12:05:33 PM »
I carry a 1911 but since I just bought my 2nd 10mm 1911 I am going to get a double shoulder rig so I can carry two.   :P

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2017, 12:09:44 PM »
You're kidding?

I'm seeing the picture plain as day.

It's from the picture archive at Gunauction.com

And no. They're NOT the same.

The 042 (notice the preceding 0) was a limited production non-catalog item in 1992.

Indications are that S&W was trying a new finishing process, and it failed, on 642s, so they were polished down and refinished in matte black, with some being given more of a gloss blue finish.

Production was limited to something fewer than 3,000 042s were made.

They're Airweights, but not marked airweight.

Nope.  Here's what I get in Properties, without the "h."

(h removed so the system won't create an actual link)

ttps://picturearchive.gunauction.com/504669/7472134/7e6de9ed4aea290a06994fb843d36e70.jpg

So it's a recovered factory screw up?  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  No big deal, but I just wanted to see what the picture was, so OK, and that's that.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 01:13:26 PM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2017, 01:14:33 PM »
Dang. I have no idea why I can see it and you can't.

That's weird.

And yes, essentially considered to be a factory production error in that the finishing process did not result in what was wanted.

Apparently the first batch that was produced had the bad finish and were completed guns. They were reworked and the model number was overstamped to make it look like 042 instead of 642.

Later guns in the same group, which had not been finished or stamped, were given the new finish and stamped 042. Mine is one of those guns.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2017, 02:02:23 PM »

https://picturearchive.gunauction.com/504669/7472134/7e6de9ed4aea290a06994fb843d36e70.jpg

pseudohtml whacked.  I'm not seeing that image at all.  "page canna be foun."  No matter.  The 042 looks like, as said, a 442/642.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2017, 02:17:54 PM »
I think Mtnbkr has one of those recent run 642s with no lock, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

It's a 37-2 with factory bobbed hammer, no lock, and forged internals.

Chris