Author Topic: Honda/Toyota engine oil  (Read 3644 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Honda/Toyota engine oil
« on: April 19, 2017, 02:06:35 PM »
My Honda CR-V calls for 0W-20 motor oil.  (the Honda dealer uses a synthetic blend; might be Motorcraft brand but not sure.)  I think Toyotas also specify 0W-20.  What about using 5W-20 at least in the summer?  0W-20 is hard to find.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Honda/Toyota engine oil
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 02:16:35 PM »
My 4Runner uses 0-20w. It's actually pretty easy to find around here, but if you're having trouble, you might check out Amazon.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 02:21:06 PM »
Don't.

Seriously.  The cheapskates will be along directly to tell you that they ran something for 15 years on a combination of used fry oil and Dapper Dan they found in the trash but the folks that built that engine designed things like bearing gap and oil passages for a specific weight of oil and specific amount of lubrication.  if it's got V-tec, or other electro-hydraulic trickery they factored that in to.  Both Honda's and Toyotas have a reputation for durability that says you should believe their engineers.

Put the right stuff in it. It's not hard to find.

https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-96995-0W-20-Synthetic-Motor/dp/B000SKYL9I

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 02:25:47 PM »
Don't.

Seriously.  The cheapskates will be along directly to tell you that they ran something for 15 years on a combination of used fry oil and Dapper Dan they found in the trash but the folks that built that engine designed things like bearing gap and oil passages for a specific weight of oil and specific amount of lubrication.  if it's got V-tec, or other electro-hydraulic trickery they factored that in to.  Both Honda's and Toyotas have a reputation for durability that says you should believe their engineers.

Put the right stuff in it. It's not hard to find.

https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-96995-0W-20-Synthetic-Motor/dp/B000SKYL9I

Yeah, I'm not anywhere near as well versed with engines as Dogmush, but my understanding is that with the tight tolerances of modern engines, adhering to the lower end of the viscosity range is probably more important than the upper (though you should be using the recommended range).

Waiting to hear KD5's workaround.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 02:30:33 PM »
Waiting to hear KD5's workaround.

I'm at a loss.  I didn't even know any manufacturers recommended WD-40 as an engine oil.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 02:33:32 PM »
5w20 *might* be OK in the summer, but there's no way I'd use it in the winter, and I'd still use 0w20 Mobil 1.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 02:41:42 PM »
I have a coupon from the local Kia dealer for a $23 oil change using synthetic blend oil.  The Kia dealership is owned by the Honda dealer, so their computers should be linked.  I'll check with them and see if they have 0W-20 oil, and if they don't I'll take it to Honda and pay about $40 to $50 for the oil change.

When the warranty runs out, I'll start changing the oil myself with 0W-20 even tho' I'm pretty sure 5W-20 is fine.  (both are 20 weight oil)  No point in taking a risk, I'll just have to plan ahead a little more to buy the oil.
"It's good, though..."

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 02:58:23 PM »
https://www.walmart.com/store/2812/search?query=0w-20+oil

In stock in Rochester MN.

Everybody has a Walmart.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 03:01:51 PM »
https://www.walmart.com/store/2812/search?query=0w-20+oil

In stock in Rochester MN.

Everybody has a Walmart.

Thanks. I searched for that shortly after starting this thread.  They didn't have all that a year ago when I last looked for it (what happened to the :redface: smiley?  (maybe it was racist))
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 04:25:44 PM »
I have a coupon from the local Kia dealer for a $23 oil change using synthetic blend oil.  The Kia dealership is owned by the Honda dealer, so their computers should be linked.  I'll check with them and see if they have 0W-20 oil, and if they don't I'll take it to Honda and pay about $40 to $50 for the oil change.

When the warranty runs out, I'll start changing the oil myself with 0W-20 even tho' I'm pretty sure 5W-20 is fine.  (both are 20 weight oil)  No point in taking a risk, I'll just have to plan ahead a little more to buy the oil.

It's not the 20w, it's the 0w that is needed.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 04:26:52 PM »
You could put 710 in it.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 04:40:01 PM »
current gen subaru's are the same way, 0w20.  Everybody has it except some convenience store in podunkville.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 06:06:13 PM »
I shall add to the echo. Use what's specified and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 06:07:24 PM »
It's not the 20w, it's the 0w that is needed.

The first number is the viscosity rating at 0 degrees, the second is the viscosity at 212 degrees. The first number only really matters when it's cold. During the summer a difference of 5 or 10 in the w rating is not that critical. The second number is what matters.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 06:15:01 PM »
:Sigh:

5W20 is fine for summer. xWy oils are "multi-viscosity" blends. A 0W20 is formulated to flow like a 0 weight oil when cold, but like a 20 weight oil at operating temperature. A 5W20 flows like a 5 weight when cold, and like a 20 weight at operating temperature. In other words, for 98 percent of the time the engine won't see any difference whatsoever.

The shift to lighter weights on the low end of the multi-vis spectrum is driven by two things: One, the manufacturers want the oil to flow a little better under VERY cold conditions. Second, and IMHO more important, they're getting hammered to improve fleet fuel mileage, and thinner oil lets the engine spin over just a tad better when cold.

Personally, I run 0W20 in the winter (December through February) if I can find it, otherwise I run 5W20 and never look back. For summer I might run 5W20, or I might run 10W30 or even 10W40. Getting oil to the bearings when it's 75 degrees overnight is MUCH less of a problem than thin oil for hours straight on the highway at high RPM.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 06:23:46 PM »
The first number is the viscosity rating at 0 degrees, the second is the viscosity at 212 degrees. The first number only really matters when it's cold.

So just leave the engine running all the time and you won't need to buy up cases of 3-in-1 to do an oil change.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 06:25:40 PM »
My Honda CR-V calls for 0W-20 motor oil.  (the Honda dealer uses a synthetic blend; might be Motorcraft brand but not sure.)  I think Toyotas also specify 0W-20.  What about using 5W-20 at least in the summer?  0W-20 is hard to find.

Look in the owner's manual. Sometimes they will specify an alternate weight (usually for seasonal reasons). Other than that 0w-20 is reasonably common and shouldn't be hard to find.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 07:44:26 PM »
The first number is critically important because cold cranking is the hardest on an engine and the ability to quickly get adequate lubrication to the wearing parts before the engine is up to temp makes all the difference in the world in terms of engine life. You don't want to vary from the Mfg's recommended specs very much at all due to this.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 09:12:04 PM »
My Subaru uses 0w-20 full synthetic.

It can be a bit of a pain to find at times.

The owner's manual gives a couple of scenarios in which other weight/types of oil can be used, but says it should only be done for a limited time when the proper oil can't be located.

And once the proper weight oil is located, change the oil and the filter.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 11:21:58 PM »

Until recently I've always done my own oil changes. When I bought my Jeep the dealership gave me 4 years of free oil changes. Sadly, that will only be about 8 by the miles I put on it, I'm averaging less than 750 miles a month.
After the "free" runs out they'll charge $19.99 as long as I have their license plate frame on.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 11:14:36 AM »
After the "free" runs out they'll charge $19.99 as long as I have their license plate frame on.

Is the frame absolutely 100% compatible with your state laws?  TX has been using the excuse of "obscured plate" to stop people with dealer plate frames if they even touch any of the lettering.  Could be more expensive than the oil changes.  (Or you could put heavy duty magnets on the frame and stick it on a block from the dealer each time.)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2017, 04:13:33 PM »
FYI... Last time I checked, WalMart stocked 0w-20 in bulk (5 qt) containers.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 04:29:34 PM »
Is the frame absolutely 100% compatible with your state laws?  TX has been using the excuse of "obscured plate" to stop people with dealer plate frames if they even touch any of the lettering.  Could be more expensive than the oil changes.  (Or you could put heavy duty magnets on the frame and stick it on a block from the dealer each time.)

Seems to me that were I stopped for a dealer plate frame and ticketed, I'd be stopping by the dealer with said ticket in hand, expecting them to cover it.

A friend of mine bought a used Acura a couple of years ago from a DC area dealership. They sold it to her with window tinting that was not legal in Virginia (too dark), and she was stopped and ticketed.

She went back to the dealership, and the dealership took care of both the ticket and untinting the offending windows.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 04:41:00 PM »
FYI... Last time I checked, WalMart stocked 0w-20 in bulk (5 qt) containers.

Brad

I just got an email from NAPA (they've apparently been spying on me since I ordered a tractor battery online a few months ago.)  They have their private label 0W-20 synthetic oil for $3.49 per quart.  That's cheaper than buying 4 or 5 quart jugs at Walmart.

ETA: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NO_75540
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 05:07:51 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 05:37:56 PM »

That's an interesting idea. The first thing I do when I get a new car is put on a plain frame because I don't want to be an advertisement for the dealership, given that I never complete a purchase without feeling like I've been at least a little bit ripped off.  :lol:

If they gave me a deal like that, I would likely leave it on.