Author Topic: Mastercard is testing new cards with fingerprint scanners built in  (Read 702 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Mastercard is testing new cards with fingerprint scanners built in
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 04:30:39 PM »
Great. Now I'm going to have to make sure I don't mix up the hacked off fingers and the cards that I've stolen...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 04:36:09 PM »
Great. Now I'm going to have to make sure I don't mix up the hacked off fingers and the cards that I've stolen...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  That is what I was thinking.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 05:45:42 PM »
Tie a string on your finger so you don't forget.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 10:54:09 PM »
In an effort to make payments a more seamless experience and improve security, Mastercard is testing out the new cards in South Africa,

:O You know if I were to try out a biometric security product I probably wouldn't go with a country having class warfare problems.  I figure people who will toss a gas filled tire on your head and light that sucker up won't care much about pulling off a finger to use your credit card. 

That issue aside it's stupid.  Biometrics for security are bad because you can't swap them out if compromised. You cannot change your finger print.  If somebody steals it, and that's not hard, you're screwed.  If you want two-factor authentication then you want something you HAVE (the card) and something you KNOW (like a PIN)  Problem is people are too stupid to remember their PIN so we end up with crap like chip & signature with the EMV rollout in the US or bunk like this.