Author Topic: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."  (Read 2898 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'

Yale doctoral students on a "hunger strike" . . . except they can eat when they get hungry:

http://freebeacon.com/culture/yale-grad-students-go-symbolic-hunger-strike-theyre-allowed-eat/

Kids these days . . . too lazy to even protest properly . . .

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

wmenorr67

• friend
$40K free education, $30K a year stipend, and free health care, all to go to school.

I have as much sympathy for them as I do all the "poor" student/athletes that have more ink on their bodies than I can afford.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
$40K free education, $30K a year stipend, and free health care, all to go to school.

I have as much sympathy for them as I do all the "poor" student/athletes that have more ink on their bodies than I can afford.
Agreed. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
Must be rough with my insurance costs that would be well over 100k a year.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

grampster

• friend
And these idiots are the foundation that our Republic is to rest upon in a few years.  I suggest we nuke 'em from orbit.  It's the only way.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Andiron

• friend
And these idiots are the foundation that our Republic is to rest upon in a few years.  I suggest we nuke 'em from orbit.  It's the only way.

Tell the Norks those  Yale idiots said something mean about the Fat Kid and let things sort themselves out.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
$70,000+ per year of compensation and they are on strike for more?  And they are unionized?  WTF? 

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
They are unionized, but the university doesn't recognize the union and won't deal with it. Small wonder.

Yale doctoral students currently earn a stipend $30,000 a year, receive free health care, and have their $40,000 tuition paid in full, according to Yale News.

Doesn't sound like such a bad deal to me. That's quite a bit more than I receive from Social Security.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

griz

• friend
I think they deserve better benefits.  They should have a trained professional (no doubt a graduate with their doctorate already) who will burp them, give them their pacifier, tuck them in to bed and tell make sure there are no monsters under it since it's a safe space.  Otherwise they will hold their collective breaths until they turn blue they need to breath some more.

Seriously, why do students even need a union?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Hawkmoon

• friend

Seriously, why do students even need a union?

Obviously, because the greedy university won't acquiesce to their reasonable requests for a living wage.

I had heard something about this before -- the dispute has been going on for probably ten years or longer, and the university seems to be holding firm. Now I understand why. I thought the doctoral teaching assistants were paying tuition and being paid a pittance, like $1500 per semester or something like that. Even in New Haven, where the cost of living is pretty high, I'm certain there are a lot of families that live on $30,000 (or less) per year.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
They want the unions so they can be all woke. I TAd when I was in grad school specifically because it paid my tuition plus I made something like $28/hr, which was really good wages back then (plus I got to use faculty parking and not walk a mile to classes). Many of the younger kids doing it still complained. I used to tell them they could be working in the oil patch instead. :)

College Republicans holding a barbecue.  :laugh:

http://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2017/04/29/uh-oh-college-republicans-near-hunger-strike-at-yale-have-sparked-a-triggering/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.wsj.com/articles/palestinians-condemn-barbecue-outside-israeli-jail-1492784262
Pro-settlement Israelis held a barbecue outside the Ofer prison where Palestinian prisoners are on a hunger strike

Someone linked this in there, but the article is restricted. 

griz

• friend
Wow, there being paid to go to school and want a raise.  I would like to be there when they get an actual job and they camp out in front of the bosses office demanding more money or they will stop eating (as much).  Since the real world is not a safe space they may not know what the response will be never having been exposed to it. I suspect they will be shocked, triggered, then humiliated when they get laughed at.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
They will never leave university life. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
They want the unions so they can be all woke. I TAd when I was in grad school specifically because it paid my tuition plus I made something like $28/hr, which was really good wages back then (plus I got to use faculty parking and not walk a mile to classes). Many of the younger kids doing it still complained. I used to tell them they could be working in the oil patch instead. :)

College Republicans holding a barbecue.  :laugh:

http://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2017/04/29/uh-oh-college-republicans-near-hunger-strike-at-yale-have-sparked-a-triggering/

The babe in the left foreground hasn't missed many meals. She's a walking definition of the term "thunder thighs."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Turn the "strikers" loose in a room full of people who work their asses off for the amount the studentsearn as a "stipend" and tell said workers that these entitled *expletive deleted*s are whining about the sweetheart deal and I think the problem will sort itself out
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

wmenorr67

• friend
The babe in the left foreground hasn't missed many meals. She's a walking definition of the term "thunder thighs."

Thinking she isn't one of the strikers either. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
They are unionized,

How hard could it be to ionize them?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Symbolic hunger strike...

So, whiney little pussies, then, who don't actually have much in the way of conviction for their cause.

Got it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Well, their "poverty" is symbolic (since in reality they earn more than probably half the population of New Have, Connecticut), so what's more appropriate to protest a symbolic oppression than a symbolic protest?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Well, their "poverty" is symbolic (since in reality they earn more than probably half the population of New Have, Connecticut),

They may get more than many people, but I'd argue they don't earn a cent.