Author Topic: Calm Kid, Dumbass Robber  (Read 2420 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
Re: Calm Kid, Dumbass Robber
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 08:28:28 PM »
Yeah was an interesting one wonder if if was wrong ammo or something else.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 08:40:08 PM »
Just about any auto-loader will do that if you ride the slide forward.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 09:23:51 PM »
Just about any auto-loader will do that if you ride the slide forward.

and you could see him ride it, too.

I think I might have laughed if it had been my face. "yeah, dipshit, pull the trigger."
It's a good thing these things don't happen to me. I'm likely to get killed for being a smartass.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 10:11:42 PM »
Yeah would only take a second to clear if he knew what he was doing.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 10:23:51 PM »
Watching local news missed the dumbass ride the slide. I'm sure he couldn't clear it quickly.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 10:28:46 PM »
Tap, Invert, Rack, Ready

https://youtu.be/lhy_NJ1cdNY
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 10:36:03 PM »
and you could see him ride it, too.

I think I might have laughed if it had been my face. "yeah, dipshit, pull the trigger."
It's a good thing these things don't happen to me. I'm likely to get killed for being a smartass.

It would have been really tempting. On the other hand, it's equally tempting to just think, "Well, he can't shoot me, so I'm not in danger. I'll just obey orders." It seems to me the right thing to do is grab the gun (and maybe hit him with the cash tray first), because he might clear his malfunction any minute, and who knows what happens then?

That being said, I wasn't there. I'm sure the kid used his best judgment, and maybe compliance was his best option.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 10:37:16 PM »
Watching local news missed the dumbass ride the slide. I'm sure he couldn't clear it quickly.

I wouldn't bet my life on it. He might do it without half-trying. [shrug]

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 01:28:29 PM »
http://snip.ly/2njk3#http://twitchy.com/sd-3133/2017/04/28/notice-something-wrong-this-pistol-wielding-jimmy-johns-robber-didnt-seem-to/

A Kansas City Jimmy Johns is getting robbed.  It is caught on camera very clearly.  The robber clearly has something wrong with his pistol.  I am sure most of you here will see it right away.

I briefly wondered if the employee should have done something else, but it wasn't his money, it wasn't very much money, the pistol problem can be cleared quickly, and the cost to him of doing something could be very high in dollars or injury. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 01:29:27 PM »
 :facepalm:  Nevermind.  Just delete this.   :facepalm:

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=54552.0
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 01:33:17 PM »
I thought he might have pulled the slide back then pulled it back again without letting it go forward causing a double feed.  

My thought is it wasn't the employee's money, it wasn't that much money, and the cost to him could be high (injury or legal) if he did something.  Just not worth it unless the guy tried to do more than just rob the register.  As it sat, there was little danger of anyone getting shot during the robbery, it was caught on video very well, and the guy will still get hit with the armed robbery charge.  

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 01:49:33 PM »
Dupes merged. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 12:08:07 AM »
In a case like this, assuming I had no training in applied violence, I'd give him the money as well.  Maybe the crook can unjam the weapon.  Can I get it away from him?

It's not my money in the register.  He's got his face clearly displayed on the camera.  Let the cops do their job.

Hell, for $200 of somebody else's money, that's insured, I'm not even going to risk being pistol whipped.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 12:57:48 AM »
In a case like this, assuming I had no training in applied violence, I'd give him the money as well.  Maybe the crook can unjam the weapon.  Can I get it away from him?

It's not my money in the register.  He's got his face clearly displayed on the camera.  Let the cops do their job.

Hell, for $200 of somebody else's money, that's insured, I'm not even going to risk being pistol whipped.

Talking about the money is a red herring. The only question is, "what's your best bet for survival?"

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 07:40:44 AM »
He wouldn't be able to shoot you without clearing the weapon but that big mother *expletive deleted*er could probably *expletive deleted*ck most people up with his hands

Having seen comments elsewhere of "I'd take it away from him and clear it and use it on him" even if they could get it away from him also no garauntee a tap rack bang drill would correct the malfunction or do it in time to shoot him in the face
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 08:11:25 AM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2017, 09:23:02 AM »
More on the story. Gee what a surprise - armed robbery felon on probation immediately commits more armed robberies to pay his crack dealer because, "probation is hard".

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/30/kansas-city-jimmy-johns-worker-speaks-out-after-intense-armed-robbery.html

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2017, 10:14:28 AM »
He wouldn't be able to shoot you without clearing the weapon but that big mother *expletive deleted*er could probably *expletive deleted*ck most people up with his hands

Having seen comments elsewhere of "I'd take it away from him and clear it and use it on him" even if they could get it away from him also no garauntee a tap rack bang drill would correct the malfunction or do it in time to shoot him in the face

More realistic to say you would use his jammed handgun as cover to draw your own handgun and Mozambique him while backing up to gain distance.

It's not often someone is considerate enough to start a fun fight and give the other person a free move.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 10:48:58 PM by dogmush »

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2017, 02:40:01 PM »
Talking about the money is a red herring. The only question is, "what's your best bet for survival?"

Exactly.  Note that I only spoke about the money in terms of "give it to him" and "don't give a *expletive deleted*it".

In the interview it turns out that the clerk didn't recognize that the gun was jammed.  Perfectly reasonable given high tension, different angle than the camera, unfamiliarity with firearms, playing it safe(all guns are loaded!), etc...

More on the story. Gee what a surprise - armed robbery felon on probation immediately commits more armed robberies to pay his crack dealer because, "probation is hard".

Well, gee, he doesn't have to worry about probation anymore, now does he?

Sadly, this means that we'll be spending $60k+ a year to keep his ass locked up.

Heard on a news clip that he's been charged in federal court with firearm possession by a felon.  That's 5+ doing some quick research.  His being a habitual offender only increases the final sentence.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 07:48:53 AM »

I did the same when watching the news.  I could tell something wasn't quite right but until I saw the stills from the video did it occur to me what was wrong. 

Guy is lucky the JJ employee wasn't very bright.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 08:45:30 AM »
In the interview it turns out that the clerk didn't recognize that the gun was jammed.  Perfectly reasonable given high tension, different angle than the camera, unfamiliarity with firearms, playing it safe(all guns are loaded!), etc...

Knowing what the clerk knew, I would have done the same thing.  When I found out later that the pistol had jammed, I would have been pretty ticked off that I still complied, but again, if I was that clerk, I still would have complied.  It's not worth it.

Had I been an armed bystander, though, that's an entirely different question.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2017, 08:49:59 AM »
Yeah, I doubt wrestling with the armed robber is a choice most restaurant employees are going to make. 

If the employee had no experience with firearms, I can understand not knowing the gun was jammed.  Even if he noticed the barrel sticking out, he might not have known what it meant.  Better to hand over the register drawer and let the police sort it out.  If the criminal wanted more than that, then other options become more important. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 09:11:18 AM »
Knowing what the clerk knew, I would have done the same thing.  When I found out later that the pistol had jammed, I would have been pretty ticked off that I still complied, but again, if I was that clerk, I still would have complied.  It's not worth it.

Had I been an armed bystander, though, that's an entirely different question.

It's a situation where, from my armchair, had I been armed and a bystander, or an armed employee, I'd feel comfortable enough with my skill level to draw down on the guy. Unarmed, there's a lot to go wrong unless you're a krava maga guy or whatever. Were it a guy putting a gun to my head in an alley, where to me there's a much larger chance of ending dead afterwards, I might take the chance given his size and my size, if nothing else to knock him over and run like hell. In this situation, the unarmed kid did the sensible thing for the situation IMO.

I recall just a month or two ago we were talking about either a pawn shop or gun shop owner who, in a surveillance video, drew on several robbers with guns already out. He obviously had some skillz, and I think he did the right thing for his situation.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2017, 09:40:48 AM »
Guy is lucky the JJ employee wasn't very bright.

No need to insult the employee.  He could be quite bright, and still not notice the condition of the firearm.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2017, 04:31:27 PM »
Even if he did know the pistol was jammed, the smart move was to hand over the money. If he did know, that might account for how calmly he reacted.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds