Author Topic: Now, if they can just kill Obamacare, the 2 worst things of the last 8 years  (Read 3337 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
will be gone....

The Children of America are Rejoicing....

http://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2017/05/01/michelle-obamas-school-lunch-guidelines-tossed-out-like-a-michelle-obama-school-lunch/

I've gone to both breakfast and lunches at my son's school (they have a "Take your Parents to B-fast/Lunch Day" each year.  My son's most hated day of the school year.)  And have eaten the Michelle Obama School meals.   I swear the recipes were developed as torture methods at Gitmo, as I'd rather be Waterboarded then eat this *expletive deleted*it.  None of the kids ate it.  It mostly went in the trash.   It was like all the worst Hospitals got together and combined their menus/food.   Your two options: Bland or bad-tasting.   Just all kinds of wrong.

They've already rolled back a lot of Obama's EPA regs on Coal, so kill O-care and we are almost back to Status Quo Ante....

* -Since this is more about MO's School Food Program and less about Politics, it's in the Round Table and not Poli-Ticks.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Coal isn't going to come roaring back just with some regulatory easing.  Natural gas is kicking it's butt on price as well.

And yeah, what's the most cost-ineffective food?  Food that goes straight into the trash.

Sheesh, they need to have these "experts" come out and just observe the kids.  It's not hard.  Plus, Mrs. Obama fell into the 'healthy' kick for food that isn't actually any more healthy than the old style stuff.

Hint:  If adults won't willingly eat that crap, neither will the kids, and what they replace it with is likely worse than the old stuff.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Trump -- making America great again, one cheeseburger at a time.

Seriously, when the Michele lunch program reached the point that mothers were penalized for sending their kids to school with food the kids would actually, like, you know -- eat, you know the program was fundamentally flawed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
I don't know how my kid's school gets around it, but the meals certainly aren't Michelle-Obama-compliant.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
I have no fond memories of school lunch and that was well before Michelle got involved. At least where I grew up, school lunch was always disgusting.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
will be gone....

The Children of America are Rejoicing....

http://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2017/05/01/michelle-obamas-school-lunch-guidelines-tossed-out-like-a-michelle-obama-school-lunch/

I've gone to both breakfast and lunches at my son's school (they have a "Take your Parents to B-fast/Lunch Day" each year.  My son's most hated day of the school year.)  And have eaten the Michelle Obama School meals.   I swear the recipes were developed as torture methods at Gitmo, as I'd rather be Waterboarded then eat this *expletive deleted*it.  None of the kids ate it.  It mostly went in the trash.   It was like all the worst Hospitals got together and combined their menus/food.   Your two options: Bland or bad-tasting.   Just all kinds of wrong.

They've already rolled back a lot of Obama's EPA regs on Coal, so kill O-care and we are almost back to Status Quo Ante....

* -Since this is more about MO's School Food Program and less about Politics, it's in the Round Table and not Poli-Ticks.

Shut up and choke down your quinoa.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

mtnbkr

• friend
I don't know how my kid's school gets around it, but the meals certainly aren't Michelle-Obama-compliant.

Same for the schools my kids go to.  They're both picky as hell, yet Thing 1 eats a school lunch most days.  Thing 2 only eats the school lunch 1-2x a week, but I chalk that up to her being the pickiest eater I've ever seen.

I've eaten lunch with them both and found it mediocre at worst and quite good at times.

I look at the menus though and frequently find myself wanting their lunch rather than my own. :)  It's certainly an improvement over what I was served as a kid.

Chris

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
I have no fond memories of school lunch and that was well before Michelle got involved. At least where I grew up, school lunch was always disgusting.

Well, back in my elementary school daze, in the 1960s, the cafeteria I ate in had pretty good food.  Even the "fish sticks" which I did not really like, were OK.  On the good side we had "Sloppy Joe Fridays"  and those were delicious.

Or maybe it was just because it was friday ......   [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Same for the schools my kids go to.  They're both picky as hell, yet Thing 1 eats a school lunch most days.  Thing 2 only eats the school lunch 1-2x a week, but I chalk that up to her being the pickiest eater I've ever seen.

I've eaten lunch with them both and found it mediocre at worst and quite good at times.

I look at the menus though and frequently find myself wanting their lunch rather than my own. :)  It's certainly an improvement over what I was served as a kid.

Chris

I restrict my kids to one school lunch a week.  Most of it is processed junk and poor quality.  Lots of deep fried *expletive deleted*it like tater tots.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
Ah, school lunch follies.

Went to a Catholic school for grades 1-8. Didn't have a cafeteria, so everyone brown bagged their lunches. Nuns and lay teachers for the most part didn't care what we had, but in 5th grade the teacher was always complaining that I had a thermos with hot soup in winter; she somehow felt that I (and a few other students) shouldn't have it because not everyone had it.   :facepalm:

We politely heard her out . . . and ignored her wishes. Any attempt to take food from a student would have ended badly.

In 8th grade teachers would sometimes pick a kid and give him some money to go across the street to a restaurant and buy them a carry-out lunch. I was the first kid who not only did that, but used his own money (NOT the teacher's!) to buy himself a good lunch as well, on a separate check.

One teacher didn't like that, and demanded I hand over what I'd bought myself. I refused and walked away from him, fully expecting him to grab me by the shoulder and try to forcibly TAKE it away from me - I figured I'd be able to punch him right in the nose when that happened, after which all hell would break loose. But I'd get that one good punch in.

But he never laid a finger on me. Much later, I figured out that in the aftermath it would have necessarily come out that he was sending elementary students off campus to run errands during the school day, which of course would have been a career-limiting move for him.

My high school cafeteria had both a "fast food" and "healthy meal" line. Only once or twice during my 4 years there did the lunch ladies try to insist students get a "healthy meal" (and pay for it!) but I don't think anybody ever complied. And of course with high school being an "open" campus, we were free to go about a block down to fast food row and get something else.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
Well, back in my elementary school daze, in the 1960s, the cafeteria I ate in had pretty good food.  Even the "fish sticks" which I did not really like, were OK.  On the good side we had "Sloppy Joe Fridays"  and those were delicious.

Did we attend the same school? We had Sloppy Joe Fridays, too.

But there were other days we had something we (not to school dietician) called "Mystery Meat" ...

MechAg94

• friend
Did the FedGov actually require that stuff or did Michelle Obama just talk local school districts or states into doing it?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Coal isn't going to come roaring back just with some regulatory easing.  Natural gas is kicking it's butt on price as well.

It might if we export it, say, to China.

For all the issues there are with Trump, that appears to have been a savvy move.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Did the FedGov actually require that stuff or did Michelle Obama just talk local school districts or states into doing it?
There were some specific requirements, I believe originating from this law:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthy,_Hunger-Free_Kids_Act_of_2010#New_Food_Standards
I'm guessing the limits on sodium, sugar & fat eliminated a lot of the "good" foods that kids wanted.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Another grand and glorious clap hands and jump for progressive joy and make 'em all conform to what we think is best for them social experiment down the tubes.

Smirkworthy.

I therefore smugly smirk.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
There were some specific requirements, I believe originating from this law:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthy,_Hunger-Free_Kids_Act_of_2010#New_Food_Standards
I'm guessing the limits on sodium, sugar & fat eliminated a lot of the "good" foods that kids wanted.

I have difficulty comprehending how we make kids hunger-free by handing them food they won't eat ...

On the other hand, it could be a way to combat obesity -- except that when the kids don't eat the "healthy" food, as soon as they're out of school they'' binge on the unhealthy food, so the entire program was a [typical] government fuster-cluck from the git-go.

grampster

• friend
When I was in elementary school in the late 40's and 50's (taught by the Sisters of Mercy Who Had Absolutely No Mercy Whatsoever) we walked home for lunch.

When I was in high school, 58-61, we walked home for lunch.  To have mom pack a lunch to stay at school and fool around for an hour, was a rare treat.  We did have fresh donut day every Wednesday.  A nickel apiece.  Most of the time I did not have a nickel.  That was a sad time.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Did we attend the same school? We had Sloppy Joe Fridays, too.

But there were other days we had something we (not to school dietician) called "Mystery Meat" ...

Heh, I was trying to think back what elementary school lunches were in my time, but couldn't remember. Both sloppy joes and fish sticks ring a bell now, though I think the fish sticks were the Friday thing for religious reasons, though I went to public school.

That said, I'm pretty sure I brought my lunch in various metal cartoon themed lunch boxes with the thermos with the glass or whatever lining that always broke whenever we played lunch box bowling, so that the thermos never lasted past the first week of school, and I guess I'm lucky I never swallowed glass shards. :)

Junior High was the "snack bar" instead of the cafeteria. Cool kids vs the dorks. I seem to recall my daily meal was the meat and soy and who knows what heat lamp burger and a coke.

In High School, it was either the same style snack bar burger or a "burrito", or else we got to leave school at lunch, so the nearby McDs or Taco Bell, or occasionally a car ride to Whataburger.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.

I wonder if their school participates in the National School Luch Program?  If not that maybe the way that they are getting around it.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
I restrict my kids to one school lunch a week.  Most of it is processed junk and poor quality.  Lots of deep fried *expletive deleted*it like tater tots.

Nitpick - the tater tots are most likely baked.  Hot oil is a pain to mess with compared to dumping a bag of them onto a greased bake tray for 15 minutes.

The latter, mostly.  Schools can meet the actual federal standards with tasty food, it's just more work or more money.  Or they just give up the federal funding and fund their cafeterias otherwise.  Federal funding being really marginal, and not all of it dependent upon said guidelines, it doesn't matter.

Schools more dependent upon the subsidized lunch programs...
On the other hand, it could be a way to combat obesity -- except that when the kids don't eat the "healthy" food, as soon as they're out of school they'' binge on the unhealthy food, so the entire program was a [typical] government fuster-cluck from the git-go.

This, by the numbers.  Kids won't eat the "healthy" meals will generally splurge on foods that are far worse than the foods that were previously served that generally only busted the guidelines marginally.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
This, by the numbers.  Kids won't eat the "healthy" meals will generally splurge on foods that are far worse than the foods that were previously served that generally only busted the guidelines marginally.

It has been demonstrated repeatedly that leftists are not concerned with outcomes, just intentions, so your data is irrelevant to their decisions.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Nitpick - the tater tots are most likely baked.  Hot oil is a pain to mess with compared to dumping a bag of them onto a greased bake tray for 15 minutes.

Nope, just about every "hot" item in the lunches looked like it took a trip through a fryer before being put under the heat lamps.  Now, that fryer may have been over at the place they were "made", but they were only (maybe) warmed up in a microwave at the school, before going under the heat lamps.   

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.