Author Topic: New MST 3K on Netflix!  (Read 509 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
New MST 3K on Netflix!
« on: May 15, 2017, 03:42:16 PM »
And I was so excited!...

Until I watched the first one. Honestly it's as though they bought the name and then completely ignored everything about what made MST3K great. They used a similar structure (man kidnapped and forced to watch bad movies) and seemed to think that was the important part. The jokes, however, were lame and at most got a chuckle out of me for the 30 minutes I forced myself to sit through before I had to turn it off.

MST3K wasn't just making fun of a movie, but noticing things in the movie others may miss and using cultural references to mock the movie.

The new one had a flying Tom Servo that flew up and kissed some guy on the screen. Bravo for intelligent humor guys. Oh, and completely unimportant, but the voices for Crowe and Tom Servo sounded almost identical. I understand it's not the same guys, but at least find distinctive voices for people that will be mostly represented by a shadow!

I switched to a random Rifftrax (by the guys who DID make MST3K) on Amazon and laughed more during the opening credits than the entire half hour I suffered through on Netflix.

So, watch Rifftrax on Amazon. Don't bother with the new Netflix MST3K.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

freakazoid

• friend
Re: New MST 3K on Netflix!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 07:02:43 PM »
Still haven't seen it but I've been meaning to. Isn't it hosted by Patton Oswalt? I'm not a very big fan of him.
They still got it with Rifftrax, I've bought quite a bit off their actual website. Very funny stuff.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: New MST 3K on Netflix!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 08:27:23 PM »
Still haven't seen it but I've been meaning to. Isn't it hosted by Patton Oswalt? I'm not a very big fan of him.
They still got it with Rifftrax, I've bought quite a bit off their actual website. Very funny stuff.

Patton Oswalt and Felicia Day. I used to be a big fan of Felicia Day, but she got TDS almost as bad as her buddy Whedon, and it completely turn me off to anything she does now. Plus I watched the first one, and I didn't find it all that funny. I didn't like the Gypsy voice change either.

I think Rifftrax is better.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."