Author Topic: Ring brand video doorbell - recommended  (Read 1659 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Ring brand video doorbell - recommended
« on: May 16, 2017, 03:08:41 PM »
Installed one for SWMBO over the weekend. Me likey. Install was very straightforward and it's impressive in operatation. In addition to functioning as a standard doorbell it will also alert via a phone app. Being able to not only see who's standing there but also converse with them is a plus. It also has motion sensing capability with adjustable sensitivity and zones. Video quality is excellent. App setup was a little persnickety but nothing major. She's gonna go ahead with the subscription service which archives video. Three bucks a month well spent.

Her's is the Pro unit. I'd already have one for my abode if I weren't about to pop nearly half a thou on new spectacles.

*edit to add* Whomever in their engineering/marketing dept decided to include extension wires for the exterior switch connections is a benevolent genius of the highest
 order. Those two small wires will save much sanity.

Brad
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 04:53:42 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Ring brand video doorbell - recommended
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 03:34:12 PM »
Good to know.  I've thought about their security light product, but it isn't cheap:
https://ring.com/floodlightcam

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 03:51:25 PM »
This is the second glowing report I have read on these in the last week. The other person used an angle adjustment for the camera to get a clearer picture of who is at the door.

I am waiting for the steerable flood light/cam with the laser pointer on it before I pop for one. Or maybe not. ;)

bob

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 03:56:54 PM »

It's compatible with IFTTT, which is awesome. Definitely strongly going to look into it. IFTTT (If This Then That) is a cloud service that allows you to connect different things together. If motion on your camera is detected, fire an email off or turn on some lights.

I use it for email/SMS notification for my temperature sensors. If it goes out of range, I get a text alert.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 08:20:07 PM »
I was just looking at these. The alarm system at the house is ancient 1980s tech. I'd like to boost it a bit and was thinking Ring might be the answer. I was thinking about the floodlight/alarm as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 01:19:46 PM »
If you're interested, I have a Nest thermostat you can pair it with...

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 02:02:25 PM »
If you're interested, I have a Nest thermostat you can pair it with...

:rofl:

Just install it.  :P
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 03:15:19 PM »
It's compatible with IFTTT, which is awesome. Definitely strongly going to look into it. IFTTT (If This Then That) is a cloud service that allows you to connect different things together. If motion on your camera is detected, fire an email off or turn on some lights.

Net enabled stereo with BDSM soundtrack, automated sprinklers...

IMO, though, I'd rather it not be blindingly obvious that it's an expensive camera thingy.  A quality pinhole spy cam in a normal looking doorbell button or normal motion sensor porchlight fixture should be plenty to ID someone at the door.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 12:33:05 AM »
Revisiting because I installed mine this evening. Took longer to mount the backing plate than to get everything else done. Zero headaches. They've even improved the door chime module with unidirectional wiring. No more figuring out what goes where. From unboxing to all buttoned up and setting up the app was about 20 minutes. I freely admit the advantage of having done a previous install but still would likely have come in under the 30 minute mark.

Michele's has been working like a champ for a little over a year. She and I have shared access for both doorbells. A nice touch.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 09:00:14 AM »
I installed one last fall for my wife. Its a great piece of security kit. ~$30 for their cloud service is very inexpensive.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama