Author Topic: "Last Man Standing" Canceled  (Read 4104 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"Last Man Standing" Canceled
« on: May 16, 2017, 08:43:49 PM »
I've actually never seen the show, but this is in politics because, perhaps tinfoily, but it was apparently the #2 money maker on ABC, but the show's theme, as well as Tim Allen, are very right leaning.

I heard on the radio that ABC claims it was due to scheduling conflicts. If that's true, don't you then cancel or move one of your clunker shows instead of the cash cow?

http://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2017/05/16/stunned-and-blindsided-tim-allen-tweets-about-last-man-standing-being-cancelled/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: "Last Man Standing" Canceled
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 09:14:45 PM »
I caught it once in a while on a puttering around the house with the TV on basis.*

Same kind of high contrast between liberal and conservative as "All in the Family," except the conservative (Tim Allen) was a 100X more reasonable than the dimwitted Archie Bunker.

On the other hand, the dimwit in "Last Man Standing" was the hyperliberal son in law.

After "actively" watching a couple of episodes, that is, actually sitting down to observe it, I was frankly amazed that the generally hyperlib media allowed it to go on at all.

I guess the latest collection of programming directors decided that they didn't want their program of leftylib indoctrination interefered with, and put that over the importance of profits.

I did find a recent incident, where Tim came home from a hunt and was waving a dead duck around, very surprising.  I mean, I've brought  a couple of dead ducks back to the car carrying them by the neck that way, but I was a little shocked that they would actually show that.  I thought it was a little "in your face, libtards," because the display was a bit overdone.

Maybe that generated a bunch of protests from the "ducks come from the kitchens of Chinese restaurants" crowd.

Terry

* What originally piqued my interest in the show was a scene I caught out of the corner of my eye where Tim was shooting one of those horrible killer AR assault rifles.  I mean, everybody knows AR stands for "Assault Rifle."
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:47:12 PM by 230RN »

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 10:47:01 PM »
<<<<<--- Has never seen the show because I don't have TV.   

My understanding is that much like Ron Swanson,*  Tim was supposed to be like Archie Bunker.  However, the viewers lover him, and since money (ratings) talks and BS walks, the show continued.   (Due note that Friday nights are usually the worst timeslots for a show and used to kill them off...e.g. Firefly)

However, the show remained popular and a money maker.

*- Ron Swanson was not supposed to be the beloved, breakout character.  He was supposed to be the right-wing boob, the clown, the foil to be laughed at.  The Archie Bunker of the show.  Instead he became a Hero to many.  If anything, he was a strong indication of how the majority of Flyover country felt and was going to vote in the last election.  As usual the Liberal Elites missed the sign...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 11:28:59 PM »
it's a great show. I got caught up through Netflix or Hulu and was really looking forward to the next season. Hopefully some other outlet picks it up.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 11:33:21 PM »
It was on over-the-air (OTA) TV channel 2 hereabouts every evening at 5PM just before the "The Big Bang Theory," which is why it caught my eye.

(Just unplug your cable and plug in a long wire.  OTA is pretty directional, though.)

I've noticed a bit of winnowing-out of anything conservative among several TV stations, but of course that's just a result of my vast right-wing paranoia.

FYI
http://deadline.com/2017/05/tim-allen-stunned-blindsided-last-man-standing-cancellation-1202095320/

From the comments:

Horace the second story guy • 4 hours ago  

Get ready for Tim blaming the liberals for his show being axed Forget about the fact that only Trump voters in trailer parks watch the show. I can tell you not one single person I know or have met in six years has ever mentioned the show even being on the air. No big loss. Tim is a relic

I'm insulted.  I live on the second floor, too.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:52:19 PM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 12:55:09 AM »

Internet access is all that's required, and you have that.

I watched the first season or two.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 03:24:28 AM »
sigh.  they probably wanted to make room for this:

http://tvweb.com/roseanne-revival-2018-new-episodes-cast-returning/

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 08:19:29 AM »
I've seen exactly one episode of Last Man Standing, and wasn't particularly impressed.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 08:54:40 AM »
I've seen exactly one episode of Last Man Standing, and wasn't particularly impressed.

Yeah, same here.  Then again, I didn't care much for Parks and Rec (Ron Swanson aside).

Chris

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 11:25:39 PM »
Looks like it is being shopped around to other networks.

It's a good show and deserves to be on somewhere.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 11:44:43 PM »
Tim Allen - Precious Snowflake 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-CJ-oHs4SU

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 09:18:53 AM »

Okay, now I'm gonna have to check out the show on the Netflix.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 06:51:53 PM »

"You're helping me to scam my way to passing ethics"   :lol:

Given that I just passed my ethics course...  (Online, upgrading my degree to a Bachelor's). 

Though given my school I was upfront.

First assignment had a question about would I obey orders from a superior if they risked somebody being killed.

It was a short answer, but she got an essay that not only would I probably obey those orders, I'd outright kill people if it was a legal order.  Retired military, comes with the territory.

Note:  Campus has very active military presence.  Something like over 20% of the students have a military tie.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 11:06:27 AM »
NA

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 07:14:55 PM »
Not having seen this on TV, or even being aware it actually existed,  I ordered a  DVD set of the first year from Amazon.com.  This may be better than TOOL TIME,  Allen's  earlier comic entry.   I guess I'll be ordering the remaining years  later!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 10:44:27 AM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 11:25:13 AM »
I was just struck by how messed up this is.

Yes, the decision is clearly messed up, but we're discussing the cancellation of a television show in a forum about politics.

Note, though, it's not an inappropriate discussion, but that politics has infused so much of our culture that even our entertainment is driven by politics.

Can I have the 80s back? Yes, politics was still there in entertainment, but it wasn't all encompassing. We had actual neutral ground where people of every persuasion could put it aside and enjoy themselves.

Now the left has decided that either your work is done to support them or it's against them. Period. (Just a decade after screaming at Bush for "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." I guess their issue wasn't the sentiment but at whom it was directed. As with everything of the left, every apparent double standard is just a single standard being lied about.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 03:54:10 PM »

My understanding is that much like Ron Swanson,*  Tim was supposed to be like Archie Bunker.  However, the viewers lover him, and since money (ratings) talks and BS walks, the show continued.   (Due note that Friday nights are usually the worst timeslots for a show and used to kill them off...e.g. Firefly)

However, the show remained popular and a money maker.

*- Ron Swanson was not supposed to be the beloved, breakout character.  He was supposed to be the right-wing boob, the clown, the foil to be laughed at.  The Archie Bunker of the show.  Instead he became a Hero to many.  If anything, he was a strong indication of how the majority of Flyover country felt and was going to vote in the last election.  As usual the Liberal Elites missed the sign...
Your comments reminded me of Family Ties and Alf from the 80's.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 04:00:27 PM »
Your comments reminded me of Family Ties and Alf from the 80's.

Yep. Alex P. Keaton wasn't supposed to be the star, the mom was.

What was the case in ALF? People weren't supposed to love the furry alien with a taste for cats?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 07:12:11 PM »
It's back.

It's a very good show. Glad to see it picked up.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 07:15:36 PM »
It's back.

It's a very good show. Glad to see it picked up.

Ah - didn't know it was official. I read an article about it this morning, and comically, the author was blaming Tim Allen and the program potentially coming to Fox, for Fox canceling three commie shows. He was mad because one of the shows had just introduced more gay and bi characters, so it should have been given preference.  

Edit: I should add that I did get around to watching the whole shebang soon after I created this topic. I thought it was great. If anything, Tim's character was something of a moderate conservative. Like many series I ended up liking a lot, I had to push through the first couple of shows to get into it. I thought Tim's boss was pretty hilarious.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 07:20:28 PM »
Brooklyn 99 was a very funny show for the first two or three seasons and then went off the rails. Despite losing it's focus, Andre Braugher was excellent the entire run. But you can't just rely on one guy to carry a show like that.

I didn't watch the other two that were cancelled.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2018, 10:47:43 AM »
Well, if the commie pinko diversity whiners that are complaining are correct, one of the shows that bit the dust was "Last Man on Earth". Schadenfreude if that's the case. That piece of crap should have died on its own long ago.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2018, 11:04:28 AM »
NBC has picked up Brooklyn 99 for a 13 episode season 6.

Personally I think it has gotten better and better with each season as the characters mature.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2018, 03:06:31 PM »
Ben:

... canceling three commie shows.
... commie pinko diversity whiners

Ah, I see you have acknowledged the verity of my lessons on the true nature of the progressive leftists.  Very good, Grasshopper.  

Terrysan