Author Topic: On the Bundys  (Read 2723 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
On the Bundys
« on: May 16, 2017, 08:49:59 PM »
Whatever you may think of the father and sons, the FBI setting up this fake documentary seems highly unethical to me:

http://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/05/16/the-fbi-posed-as-journalists-to-film-a-fake-documentary-on-the-bundy-family-but-its-not-tied-to-trump-so-%c2%af_%e3%83%84_%c2%af/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: On the Bundys
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 10:38:42 PM »
But did the Bundys ask if they were cops? If you ask a cop if he's a cop they totally have to tell the truth ya know. :police:

setting up this fake documentary seems highly unethical to me:
Why is this undercover tactic unethical compared to posing as a drug dealer/buyer or prostitute or anything else where law enforcement conceals their identity & intentions?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 09:27:52 AM »
It seems like I have seen a few different stories over the last couple years about the FBI spending a great deal of money on investigations that end up digging up little or no significant evidence 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 10:04:16 AM »
Back when I was a prosecutor, and investigator said something to me that stuck...

"The sins of the devil are rarely witnessed by angels."

It was a line he often used in front of a jury to explain why the drug task force used controlled informants to make drug buys.  By controlled, I mean wired with camera and microphone, recorded buy money, etc.

As to the OP, let me say this.  The story used by the agent was that he was filming a documentary.  IN other words, he planned to publish what he saw, what he recorded, and what the Bundys did in his presence.  It wasn't like he went in pretending to be a lawyer or a priest and giving the Bundys some sense that there was confidentiality in their conversations.  Was it dishonest?  Yes.  Was it unethical?  Maybe.  Is it ilegal?  Not in the least.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 10:28:14 AM »

As to the OP, let me say this.  The story used by the agent was that he was filming a documentary.  IN other words, he planned to publish what he saw, what he recorded, and what the Bundys did in his presence.  It wasn't like he went in pretending to be a lawyer or a priest and giving the Bundys some sense that there was confidentiality in their conversations.  Was it dishonest?  Yes.  Was it unethical?  Maybe.  Is it ilegal?  Not in the least.

Agreed. My "unethical" problem comes from the backstory of the gov having it out for the Bundys and other ranchers, and to me, going to prejudicial extremes to get something on them or make something up. The Bundy thing in OR never would have happened if gov bureaucrats didn't completely misuse the law to send those ranchers to jail.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 11:00:09 AM »
Agreed. My "unethical" problem comes from the backstory of the gov having it out for the Bundys and other ranchers, and to me, going to prejudicial extremes to get something on them or make something up. The Bundy thing in OR never would have happened if gov bureaucrats didn't completely misuse the law to send those ranchers to jail.

And that, my friend, is a whole different ball of wax.  Yes, .gov should never have it out for someone.  The people in charge shouldn't do that sort of thing, targeting a person for any reason other than criminal activity.  We know it happens.  It shouldn't.  Just like being a friend of someone in charge shouldn't get you any benefits (which we also know happens).
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 11:01:55 AM »
I'm with Chris.  They went into it knowing that some or all of what they say could be published.  Granted, they might be more inclined to tell a more extreme version of events "off the record" if they thought the filmmaker was a sympathetic ear, but it is hard to get too worked up about the technique independent of the target.

The FBI documentary team has a website: http://www.longbowproductions.com/home.html  Maybe we should contact them and ask them about doing some documentaries about Black Lives Matters and Antifa.  I bet they could collect some incriminating evidence pretty easily.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 12:59:51 PM »
Would that be Ted Budy, or Al and Peggy Bundy?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 01:21:06 PM »
I knew somebody would bring them up.  Or Ted Bundy.

As Ben touched on briefly, that shows the difference between the law and ethics.  Or, well, "fairness," anyhow.

(This is not to say that I don't have a lot of fun watching "Bait Car.")

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 03:10:59 PM »
I thought the point of the article (or one of them) was that they went to all that effort and didn't get anything they couldn't have already gotten from the internet.  Big waste of time and money.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 07:57:47 AM »
Because of extra publicity?

The more noise you make about anything, good, bad, or indifferent ridiculous, the more acceptable it becomes.

You've heard the term "raising consciousness?"

It's also sometimes called advertising.

It's also sometimes called propaganda.

It's also sometimes called the big lie.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 05:47:29 PM »
As much as I am extremely leery of these sorts of things and the (mis)behavior of the police...
I'll echo chamber the above comments.  They weren't posing as priests in the confessional.  They were posing as journalists claiming to have the intent of making the goings on inside the Bundy circle PUBLIC.
No expectation of confidentiality nor of privacy there.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 05:49:12 PM »
Right on cue here's an article on the Bundys from one of my favorite rabble-rousin' writers.

He makes some fantastic points but sweet baby Xenu someone make him use a spellcheck and double-check the formatting of his rants....that hurt to read with all the errors....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 06:50:29 PM »
Claiming that the BLM owns too much land is something I can understand and probably agree with.
Claiming that the land is not federally owned at all seems a bit far out there to me.

I still see the Bundys the same way I see the other BLM - whatever legitimate complains you may have had, I have no sympathy for your cause due to your stupid antics.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 04:09:22 AM »
For our foreign or new members:

BLM = "Bureau of Land Management"

also,

BLM = "Black Lives Matter"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 03:43:17 PM »
For our foreign or new members:

BLM = "Bureau of Land Management"

also,

BLM = "Black Lives Matter"

Bureau of Land Marxist
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 10:14:53 AM »
Bureau of Land Marxist

Black Land Memes.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?