Author Topic: Hello, Weather? It's May  (Read 1720 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Hello, Weather? It's May
« on: May 17, 2017, 10:15:03 AM »
Opened my hotel room door in Beaver, UT this morning to walk the 100 yards to the greasy spoon across the street for breakfast, and couldn't see the greasy spoon because of the wall of white.

I'd love it if I wasn't leaving today and could just hang out and enjoy it, but this road trip killed me on timing. I had snow storms in Nevada on the day one drive last week, and now snow at the end.

I also said to myself a couple of weeks ago, "Ben, you're not doing any 4 wheeling on this trip, so put the highway miles on the old tires and get the new ones when you get back." Oh well.  :laugh:

Somebody told me that you can drive 80mph in 4WD and be invincible and stop on a dime, so I might try that today on I-15.  =D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 09:47:43 AM by mtnbkr »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Hello, Weather? It's May
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 10:17:50 AM »
Opened my hotel room door in Beaver, UT this morning to walk the 100 yards to the greasy spoon across the street for breakfast, and couldn't see the greasy spoon because of the wall of white.

I'd love it if I wasn't leaving today and could just hang out and enjoy it, but this road trip killed me on timing. I had snow storms in Nevada on the day one drive last week, and now snow at the end.

I also said to myself a couple of weeks ago, "Ben, you're not doing any 4 wheeling on this trip, so put the highway miles on the old tires and get the new ones when you get back." Oh well.  :laugh:

Somebody told me that you can drive 80mph in 4WD and be invincible and stop on a dime, so I might try that today on I-15.  =D

Going to be pushing 90 here today. They're talking about a possible record.

And, of course, both the snow and the heat are because of global warming. Also rain. And the insects. And the deer that eat my garden. And the cancelling of Firefly. And Nickelback.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 10:31:34 AM »
It is Trump's fault.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 10:36:21 AM »
Pushing 90° here today. Just don't get off the hard surface road unless you have a snorkel.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 10:41:02 AM »
Going to be pushing 90 here today. They're talking about a possible record.

And, of course, both the snow and the heat are because of global warming. Also rain. And the insects. And the deer that eat my garden. And the cancelling of Firefly. And Nickelback.

Funny, early last week we had near record breaking heat in a large part of the West, which played havoc with the record snowpack. The Weather Service had flood warnings everywhere. In fact there were several places I went to fish in ID this week where I looked at the water and just said "nope" and went elsewhere.

Up until yesterday the weather service had flood warnings out because of heat and snowmelt, and today they are all Winter weather warnings.

"Weather" being the operative word for the AGW fanatics. :)

Heading over the pass in an hour or so to play around in ST George, UT before heading home tomorrow, so possibly this evening I'll post a topic complaining about the heat.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 10:42:51 AM »
If you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 12:26:43 PM »
If you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes  get on social media and bitch about it.

FTFY.   =D
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 01:15:35 PM »
I've always said that Colorado has 16 seasons in random order.

I may have to double that to 32 after this past two weeks.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 01:25:16 PM »
I've always said that Colorado has 16 seasons in random order.

I may have to double that to 32 after this past two weeks.

When I was stationed at Ft Carson, we used to speculate that the government had a weather machine and was testing it there.

We would have all four seasons in the matter of an afternoon.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 01:40:32 PM »
FTFY.   =D

Wait one damn minute. I specifically signed up for APS because it was ANTISOCIAL media. If we're  now a social media site, I will need to reevaluate my participation.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 06:54:07 PM »
Wait one damn minute. I specifically signed up for APS because it was ANTISOCIAL media. If we're  now a social media site, I will need to reevaluate my participation.

Social or anti-social, it's "medium," singular. What media, besides the internet tubes, do all of these alleged "social media" use, anyway?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 06:56:54 PM »

Social or anti-social, it's "medium," singular. What media, besides the internet tubes, do all of these alleged "social media" use, anyway?

APS is part of antisocial media just like facefriend is part of social media.

You're a medium. You're also a big part of the reason I'm antisocial. :P

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 08:46:45 PM »
Holy crap. Light snow flurries just started in St George. Instantly melting, but pretty unusual for this time of year. I'm pretty sure they're unusual even for the dead of Winter here.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 09:34:48 PM »
If you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes  get on social media and bitch about it.

I've been trying out Weather Underground.  They keep trying to get me for a paid subscription, but their 10 day forecast never shows that we're going to get any rain.  I like rain.  They ain't getting my money until I see some rain.  /rant

Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 11:54:08 PM »
I've been trying out Weather Underground.  They keep trying to get me for a paid subscription, but their 10 day forecast never shows that we're going to get any rain.  I like rain.  They ain't getting my money until I see some rain.  /rant

Get Accuweather.  I get rain every third day.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 07:54:36 AM »
Holy crap. Light snow flurries just started in St George. Instantly melting, but pretty unusual for this time of year. I'm pretty sure they're unusual even for the dead of Winter here.

St George hardly ever gets snow....that is odd....
*expletive deleted*ing Armageddon is a comin....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 09:21:55 AM »
We're getting our regular May branch-breaking wet snow now.

I've noticed the native trees don't start budding out until that one's over with.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 09:28:54 AM »
We're getting our regular May branch-breaking wet snow now.

I've noticed the native trees don't start budding out until that one's over with.

As much as I'd love to live out in the West among the mountains... I'm much preferring spring here in the (northern) South. My peaches are growing nicely and I've got a couple tomatoes actually on vines already.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 09:49:41 AM »
St George hardly ever gets snow....that is odd....
*expletive deleted*ing Armageddon is a comin....

I actually just looked at several weather histories, and it's kinda weird - the airport history shows hardly any snow in Winter, while a couple of the other COOPs stations show a few inches. But I think some of that is the age of the stations. It seem there was more likelihood of snow in the early part of the last century, and those stations might be biased towards that.

Anyway, it only lasted 15 minutes yesterday, so meh.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 10:19:01 AM »
Whoops.  Power glitch, less than a second.  I forgot about that part of it.  I guess I should expect a power failure.  Or they were switching substations or something.

They came by about two years ago and did some branch trimming over the power lines.  But that was two years ago.