Author Topic: Elon Musk Test Run of Electric Sled  (Read 2832 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Elon Musk Test Run of Electric Sled
« on: May 17, 2017, 04:34:59 PM »
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Elon Musk Test Run of Electric Sled
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 05:42:53 PM »
I was trying to figure out if this was part of Hyperloop or what.

Looks like this would be part of his "Boring company" that hopes to take traditional TBM's, and re-work the basic concept so you can run them 10x harder/faster, and there's a component of putting a passenger car onto this electric sled, possibly from a near-zero elevator like parking pad at ground level, clamp it on, then shoot the car and passengers through the express tunnel at 125mph.

I promise not to duck.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 06:46:54 PM »
I was trying to figure out if this was part of Hyperloop or what.

Looks like this would be part of his "Boring company" that hopes to take traditional TBM's, and re-work the basic concept so you can run them 10x harder/faster, and there's a component of putting a passenger car onto this electric sled, possibly from a near-zero elevator like parking pad at ground level, clamp it on, then shoot the car and passengers through the express tunnel at 125mph.

I am extremely sceptical of Musk in general, and what seems to me a Utopian vision founded on tax rebates for his cars. HOWEVER. The basic idea of the Boring Company (which is a fantastic name) is, I think marvellous. Frome what I recall, he wants to build tunnels for this type of project basically 1/10 or 1/100th of what it now costs to do an underground train tunnel. I think it's amazing. I had no idea a proof of concept was in the works and that video makes me irrationally happy.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 06:52:03 PM »
What's a "Westwood"?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 11:05:13 PM »
I am extremely sceptical of Musk in general, and what seems to me a Utopian vision founded on tax rebates for his cars. HOWEVER. The basic idea of the Boring Company (which is a fantastic name) is, I think marvellous. Frome what I recall, he wants to build tunnels for this type of project basically 1/10 or 1/100th of what it now costs to do an underground train tunnel. I think it's amazing. I had no idea a proof of concept was in the works and that video makes me irrationally happy.

Well, the main "problem" with most tunnels these days is that they're too large.  The larger they are, the more supports you need, the more reinforcement.  You need them big if you're going to have enough air to keep passengers alive while running fossil fuel engines in them.

While I'm not sure that current government approval agencies are capable of wrapping their heads around the idea that small-bore tunnels can be safe, from a technical standpoint electric vehicles are far safer, not tending to produce carbon monoxide when slightly starved of oxygen.

Even a small gasoline engine gulps fare more O2 than a human.  Eliminate the engines and you can have, as we see, far tighter tunnels, less ventilation, lower cost.  As long as you're controlling the environment that much, ramp up the speed so that people actually want to take the tunnel because it's faster.  More people in the tunnel(s) and that's less on the streets above.

While it may not be able to match the raw people-moving abilities of a subway, a 'sled' system that hauls your car along can be more useful on an individual level at far lower cost.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 10:29:13 AM »

Well... SpaceX actually "walking the walk" when it comes to their stated goals, and capabilities, it does show the mindset of "Let's just make something insanely great, and just go for it." with a crapton of lean processes can get stuff done. Culture obviously is every bit as important as the actual technology.

What SpaceX has done, starting from zero in just a few scant years should frankly just be embarrassing the hell out of NASA, United Launch Alliance, and Orbital/ATK.

I do agree about the government subsidies, but they're all ones that already existed that he's taking advantage of, mainly with the Tesla. AFAIK, Musk didn't lobby to get new ones created for him.
I promise not to duck.

Gutshall

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 02:27:01 AM »
Pretty amazing but I thought Elon wanted to leave Earth and now he wants to invest in building underground tunnels?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 03:33:22 AM »
I was kind of curious about emergency/rescue attempts in such small confines.

Welcome aboard, Gutshall !
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 04:17:48 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 10:51:13 AM »
Hard for me to take seriously a man whose name sounds like a mens cologne.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 07:27:26 PM »
Hard for me to take seriously a man whose name sounds like a mens cologne.

There's a marketing direction!

Pretty amazing but I thought Elon wanted to leave Earth and now he wants to invest in building underground tunnels?

What does he know!?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 12:18:46 AM »

Everyone bitches that we've got supercomputers, or at least what would pass for one 20 years ago in our pockets, we've been to the moon almost 50 years ago, but we've got no other trappings of a Jetson's lifestyle.

And here's a guy trying to tackle some of that, and nobody's happy.  :rofl:
I promise not to duck.