Author Topic: Day planner thingies?  (Read 2465 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Day planner thingies?
« on: May 19, 2017, 12:33:39 AM »
I need some way to keep track of what I'm up to. What works for you people?

Android app? At-a-Glance planner? Strings tied around your fingers?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Day planner thingies?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 12:43:45 AM »
I pretty much default to Google calendar for everything. Appointments, reminders to myself, etc. Since notifications pop up on whatever device I'm using or have with me, it has become the best way for me not to forget stuff. Especially because on my phone, the notification will continue to pop up until I dismiss it, and even then whatever stuff I have for the day still show up on that "swipe down" menu on the phone so that I can see a list of everything I still need to do.

When I make paper notes,  I always wander off doing other stuff and then don't read them until I get back to wherever I placed them. All too often way too late for them to do me any good.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 12:51:47 AM »
My iPhone and my Outlook 2007 is linked to my calendar, task list and phone directory.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 07:26:39 AM »
Google calendar on my phone. Ties in with my Google e-mail account.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 08:29:04 AM »
Google calendar on my phone. Ties in with my Google e-mail account.

That.  +1

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 08:57:50 AM »
If it is just keeping up with your schedule, I would say use the google calendar.  If you want to also keep up with notes, to do lists, etc, a planner with paper would be better IMO. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 09:14:01 AM »
If it is just keeping up with your schedule, I would say use the google calendar.  If you want to also keep up with notes, to do lists, etc, a planner with paper would be better IMO. 

Do you even smartphone Bro?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 09:41:52 AM »
Do you even smartphone Bro?
I don't like doing notes on the phone.  I prefer written.  IMO, it is easier to review later and keep up with.  Each to his own I guess.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 09:43:49 AM »
Dry erase marker and the driver side window.

On the inside unless you want your schedule to be remarkably open on rainy days.

When I was living south of Dallas and going to DeVry, I had a 40-60 minute commute each way, and would work out most of my homework on the windows while stuck in traffic.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 09:46:43 AM »
Go into the play store and search on day planner or organizer. Lots of possibilities.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 10:06:17 AM »
I don't like doing notes on the phone.  I prefer written.  IMO, it is easier to review later and keep up with.  Each to his own I guess.

Certainly to each their own, but those are the exact reasons I take notes on the phone.  I can dictate (or swype) a quick note or list, save it.  Tie it to a calendar event, with a reminder in advance if I want. I can include hyperlinks on the note that work, send them to other folks in the event, receive updated shopping lists while I'm at the store, and the wife finds one more thing she needs.

Honestly the tying to meetings in my calendar is the best.  Jot a note, take a picture (That I can write notes on i.e. THIS is what the meeting is about) tie it to an event, and it'll go out with the invites so everyone at the meeting is tracking.  Then tell it to remind me 24hrs (or whatever) out so that I can review it.

The wife has worked on geotagged notes, so she can send me shopping lists in the morning, and the phone will ding as I'm passing the grocery store that evening on the way home, and I can grab what we need.

Written notes in my life are always exactly not where I need them to be, and usually in the pile of stickys stuck to my monitor.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 10:34:26 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I do use Google Calendar.  That and google mail are what is used at work and they are both tied into our phones also.  But when it comes to notes and others stuff, I prefer to write it down.  Everything is online.  I like to just stay on paper for some things.  
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:17:19 PM by MechAg94 »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 10:42:52 AM »
I just use the calendar that's built into my Samsung Galaxy S3 cell phone operating system.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 11:09:16 AM »

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 11:12:15 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I do use Google Calendar.  That and google mail are what is used at work and they are both tied into our phones also.  But when it comes to notes and others stuff, I prefer to write it down.  Everything is online.  I like to just say on paper for some things.  

Paper?

Not durable enough.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 11:14:33 AM »
Entertainingly, my phone is more durable than paper.  It doesn't crumple or tear, and is waterproof.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 11:16:00 AM »
Entertainingly, my phone is more durable than paper.  It doesn't crumple or tear, and is waterproof.

And my tablet, shown in my previous post, doesn't require batteries.

Nyah!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 11:20:08 AM »
And my tablet, shown in my previous post, doesn't require batteries.

Nyah!

harder to add capacity though.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 12:18:56 PM »
harder to add capacity though.
Did you notice all the spare tablets in the picture?  They are easy to archive as well. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 12:56:48 PM »
Dry erase marker and the driver side window.

On the inside unless you want your schedule to be remarkably open on rainy days.

When I was living south of Dallas and going to DeVry, I had a 40-60 minute commute each way, and would work out most of my homework on the windows while stuck in traffic.

:D :D :D

I use my phone. It's with me all the time.

markdido

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 10:17:13 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Green-Military-Memorandum-Bound-7530-00-243-9366/dp/B0088OMX5U

Ah, the infamous "wheel book"

Don't know how many of those I burned through in 23 years in the Navy.
Liberals believe that a woman, found raped and strangled with her own pantyhose is morally superior to a women with a dead rapist at her feet and a gun in her hands.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 10:34:31 PM »
Ah, the infamous "wheel book"

Don't know how many of those I burned through in 23 years in the Navy.

I was cracking up because that link had in "related items" the fugly green memo books that I used to use, and they're asking eight ducats a pop for them. I'm pretty sure the GSA (or whatever gov office we ordered them from) price was $1 (probably made by prisoners), if that. Nice profit for somebody.  :laugh:

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Book-Memorandum-LogBook-7530-00-222-3521/dp/B0064M7X30/ref=pd_sim_229_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0064M7X30&pd_rd_r=NJ9F17P8R3D3EY1E1WBX&pd_rd_w=U6yR1&pd_rd_wg=ot3om&psc=1&refRID=NJ9F17P8R3D3EY1E1WBX

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 10:56:37 PM »
Outlook, iPhone, iPad.  Constantly backed up, readily available and a strong password.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 10:28:39 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations. I got a dead tree planner.

I was surprised that the day-planners I found started at nearly $20. At that price level, nearly all of them were styled for women. I wonder if that means that women are more busy, or if they need more help keeping track of stuff, or if men just tend to use Outlook/Google Calendar, like all you folks. My wife suggested that women were more inclined to worry about the details.

Then again, maybe most men use the windshield and marker method.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife