Author Topic: The impeachment of Trump  (Read 3517 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
The impeachment of Trump
« on: May 19, 2017, 10:51:59 AM »
The media/Democrats are moving full bore with their talk of impeachment. As ridiculous as it sounds, it's not out of the realm of possibility. Impeachment requires no criminal evidence. The Constitution does not specifically define what sort of proof is required to impeach a president. Basically, the crimes are what the senators say are crimes.

If the Democrats can get McCain, Graham and a couple of other slimy Republicans to go with them, they can impeach Trump. I think the fallout would be horrific for the Democrats and maybe even all Republicans, so the Dem's may need to wait and gather more manufactured charges. But I don't think impeachment is impossible.

dogmush

• friend
Re: The impeachment of Trump
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 11:13:36 AM »
Scout posted a decent Reason.com article about why this is a bit premature on FaceBook the other day.  Even if you don't like Trump, He IS the President, and the President gets a lot of leeway on how they handle things.

I think the fallout would be horrific for the Democrats and maybe even all Republicans,

I think you're correct.  For better or worse, we elected him, and the Dems aren't fooling everyone.  If they impeach, 60 or 70 million people are going to read that as "*expletive deleted*ck what you want, the government is ours, and there's nothing you can do about it."  Questions like "What's the point in voting, the politicians will just put one of their own in?" will be asked.  Certainly you'd see a pretty big voter backlash against any Republicans that helped.  I think the Dems will be fine, because their voters will see it as vindication, and many would support the move.

I'd be very concerned with what the disenfranchised third or so of the country will decide their best bet is to do.

I also think you'd see a pretty fertile ground for power hungry racist/nationalist/actual fascist demagogues. Not to mention whatever the hell Mr. Trump might decide to do with the folks that would follow him.  Would he even accept impeachment?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 11:29:44 AM »
The media/Democrats are moving full bore with their talk of impeachment . . .
LA times is running a 6-part series about how bad Trump is . . . the first part is called "Our Dishonest President." Certainly no bias there.  :facepalm:

. . .  the Dems aren't fooling everyone.  If they impeach, 60 or 70 million people are going to read that as "*expletive deleted*ck what you want, the government is ours, and there's nothing you can do about it."  Questions like "What's the point in voting, the politicians will just put one of their own in?" will be asked.   
I can see BIGGER problems for the .gov establishment if they try to remove a POTUS they simply don't like after he won the election.

And on what grounds? PHONY obstruction of justice allegations that he tried to stop an investigation? Didn't happen - according to Comey!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzrPYca-4Qw

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 11:33:08 AM »
So these people speaking of impeachment...they really like Pence?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 11:38:26 AM »

No, they just all flunked US Government in Junior High.

I keep reading everything from "Impeach Trump so we can get Hillary" to "Impeach Trump, then impeach Pence after dems take over in 2018, then crown Pelosi president".

What it all comes down to are that most of these nutjobs are basically talking about government overthrow, either knowledgeably via euphemism, or simply not understanding what they are in fact talking about, and what the repercussions would be. Or how they would cry and wail if all this nonsense were reversed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 11:57:30 AM »
Impeachment talk has the potential to open Pandora's Box, or at least a can of worms, that the chattering "not MY president" crowd probably doesn't even imagine.  The tinfoil hat part of me wonders what all this drama is meant to distract our attention from.  Does anyone else have their Spidey senses tingling?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 12:02:51 PM »
the Dem's may need to wait and gather more manufactured charges. But I don't think impeachment is impossible.

If Mueller ever has Trump under oath, I would bet on him perjuring himself. It can be a rerun of Clinton's impeachment.

I'm not calling for impeachment, but I wouldn't be disappointed with president Pence at all.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 12:10:55 PM »

That's what I thought.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 12:14:10 PM »
The Senate has to have 2/3 majority to remove a President after being impeached.  That will require more than a few Republicans to join in.  Well, I think the exact language I saw was 2/3 of members present.  I am not sure how that could be messed with.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 12:15:32 PM »
I think some of these people are also assuming that just because the media is all over this, that means the voting public agrees with them.  I am not convinced that is the case. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 12:22:11 PM »
I think some of these people are also assuming that just because the media is all over this, that means the voting public agrees with them.  I am not convinced that is the case. 

After November, I'm pretty convinced it's not the case.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 12:51:25 PM »
There was a time I would have been pretty sure there was no way they could be that stupid.

That time is long passed and I wouldn't put at least an actual attempt past them. Or even the second punch of let's get the house back, appoint whoever we want speaker, and oust Pence while we are at it.

At which point the results could be...interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 01:20:26 PM »
There was a time I would have been pretty sure there was no way they could be that stupid.

That time is long passed and I wouldn't put at least an actual attempt past them. Or even the second punch of let's get the house back, appoint whoever we want speaker, and oust Pence while we are at it.

At which point the results could be...interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't happen as Pence would become President and have a VP so it wouldn't matter if they got the House back.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 01:30:07 PM »

If they attempt to impeach (and yes it takes a simple majority to pass articles of impeachment in the house but 2/3rds majority to convict in the senate), then we will have a civil war in this country. 

My relatives in Southern Illinois were ALL very big Trump supporters.  They are ready to grab the torches and pitchforks (and Rifles and Shotguns) and go burn Chicago, DC, and NYC to the ground.   Literally.  They are tired of being *expletive deleted*ed-over by what they see as the "takers" and elites.  Removing their guy from office, for doing a lot less then what Obama got away with, will be the tipping point for "Nothing left to lose." And heaven help us then...

Those Resist f*expletive deleted*tards won't know what hit them...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 01:31:33 PM »
Couldn't happen as Pence would become President and have a VP so it wouldn't matter if they got the House back.

Yes, they conveniently forget (or are too young to remember or care) about a certain Gerald Ford and Nelson Rockefeller.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »

If they attempt to impeach (and yes it takes a simple majority to pass articles of impeachment in the house but 2/3rds majority to convict in the senate), then we will have a civil war in this country. 

My relatives in Southern Illinois were ALL very big Trump supporters.  They are ready to grab the torches and pitchforks (and Rifles and Shotguns) and go burn Chicago, DC, and NYC to the ground.   Literally.  They are tired of being *expletive deleted*ed-over by what they see as the "takers" and elites.  Removing their guy from office, for doing a lot less then what Obama got away with, will be the tipping point for "Nothing left to lose." And heaven help us then...

Those Resist *expletive deleted*tards won't know what hit them...

It is still amazing to me, though perhaps it shouldn't be, that the celebrity bigmouths, "coastal elites", and those in the "let's go way further left" Pelosi/Waters/Pocahontas arm of the dem party are not comprehending just how sick the general population is of being told what to do/eat/drive/vote/think/live by these people.

I, as my single datapoint, am for the first time doing things like not watching TV/movies that some of these celebrity bigmouths are in. I never used to let politics get in the way of a movie I liked, but am now happily avoiding some simply because I'm completely turned off to the celebrities in them. Just like I initially changed my write-in to a vote for Trump specifically because, "burn it down".

I guess I'll chalk their apparent lack of awareness up to the MSM creating a feedback loop that really makes them think they speak for everyone, and that they are right in everything they say. It may come to the point that they face a sudden and frightening reality.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 01:46:15 PM »

At the very least, a fair number of near-the-fence Ds will see it as an over the top temper tantrum, and the overall backlash from that will pretty much cripple the party.  Even if they don't vote Republican, they'll stop voting Democrat, and likely dodge the fringe third parties to go Libertarian or stop voting altogether.

A concerted movement would likely gain momentum as quickly as anything the Left has ever done, and do it in ways they couldn't dream of.  They may have Berkeley PD, but I'm betting we'd have the vast majority of sheriffs, small town PDs and more than a few of the city ones once they get tired of the Liberal tantrums making them look incompetent.  They're also forgetting the military would be officially (and almost certainly unofficially too) on our side as well, since Pence would become CinC if Trump were removed.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 02:13:25 PM »
If you'll note, several of the more senior elected Democrats are quietly trying the "Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa... let's not be so hasty about ACTUAL impeachment."

They realize it is a REALLY bad idea to go through with it. They just want to keep the anger smoldering to undermine Trump.

So they want to APPEAR to be considering impeachment without ever going through with it.

Oh, hey, that last bit sounds like Republicans and Obamacare. Or immigration reform. Or regulation reform. Or abortion. Or...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 02:48:26 PM »
Waiting for Trump to just give the entire establishment both middle fingers and say, "This has all been one big joke to me to prove that it could be done.  I hereby resign effective, <blank>.  Oh by they way, Warren (Buffet) you owe me a dollar."
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 02:54:21 PM »
Impeachment talk has the potential to open Pandora's Box, or at least a can of worms, that the chattering "not MY president" crowd probably doesn't even imagine.  The tinfoil hat part of me wonders what all this drama is meant to distract our attention from. 

always
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 03:10:12 PM »
Waiting for Trump to just give the entire establishment both middle fingers and say, "This has all been one big joke to me to prove that it could be done.  I hereby resign effective, <blank>.  Oh by they way, Warren (Buffet) you owe me a dollar."
That would just make them sigh in relief.  If he wants to give them the finger, he would stick around.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2017, 03:26:09 PM »

Those Resist *expletive deleted*tards won't know what hit them...

If the Resist and Antifa f*expletive deleted*tards are like this one then yes they won't know what hit them.  https://www.facebook.com/518800841647941/videos/608919849302706/

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2017, 04:07:18 PM »
If the Resist and Antifa *expletive deleted*tards are like this one then yes they won't know what hit them.  https://www.facebook.com/518800841647941/videos/608919849302706/

Got a link that doesn't require logging in to BookFace?
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2017, 04:17:02 PM »

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2017, 04:40:41 PM »
I think some of these people are also assuming that just because the media is all over this, that means the voting public agrees with them.  I am not convinced that is the case.  

This...

It is still amazing to me, though perhaps it shouldn't be, that the celebrity bigmouths, "coastal elites", and those in the "let's go way further left" Pelosi/Waters/Pocahontas arm of the dem party are not comprehending just how sick the general population is of being told what to do/eat/drive/vote/think/live by these people.

I, as my single datapoint, am for the first time doing things like not watching TV/movies that some of these celebrity bigmouths are in. I never used to let politics get in the way of a movie I liked, but am now happily avoiding some simply because I'm completely turned off to the celebrities in them. Just like I initially changed my write-in to a vote for Trump specifically because, "burn it down".

I guess I'll chalk their apparent lack of awareness up to the MSM creating a feedback loop that really makes them think they speak for everyone, and that they are right in everything they say. It may come to the point that they face a sudden and frightening reality.

And this...

The MSM has not understood, or is willfully ignoring the fact that Trump was as much a FU to them, as it was the Democrats, the GOPe, and "the establishment" of which they're a part. And they ignore this at their peril.

Or, they do know, and all this, " Just repeating  and exaggerating the seriousness of the charge over the quality of the evidence" is their way of striking back.

"Peril" as in tomorrow? No. But it's a notch in that direction.

And I'll admit, I've been in a place where I  think I'd be comfortable with the torch and pitchfork endgame since the Clinton administration, assuming that I got away with it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 05:03:28 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.